Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 22:06   #1

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
New to sailing but not to ships & boats

Hello:

I sailed a bit as a teenager in the Elizabeth River in VA and am in the process of learning as an older adult. I've taken my basic keel boating,coastal cruising and barefoot charter courses. I plan on taking the navigation courses this winter and advanced coastal cruising and passage making next year. No rush to buy, well maybe a little as I'm far to old to put it off too much ;-)

I race with a buddy on the St. Croix river on a 25.5 Hunter and am learning more about sail trim because of it.

I've been a shipbuilder in a former career and I keep my hand in metal working with my sports car; so I'm not beyond considering a steel boat.

So far I've decided I prefer a clean walk up to the bow, I don't like the winches back aft if the reefing is at the mast and I really like being able to get all the way around the engine.

I intend to charter a few boats to see what I like and what I can afford before or if I decide to purchase. I'll likely look in on threads that discuss various designs and be on the look out for suggestions of different boats to sail. I'd like to try different designs to get a better feel for the many ways designers have traded off the various aspects of performance and comfort.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinions.

Clear skies.

bill
AKA-None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 22:34   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: New to sailing but not to ships & boats

Welcome to the forum. If you need a reality check with steel boats, give me a holler.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 23:37   #3

Reality check as in they are a bad idea or a possible good one? I used to repair steel boats and ships. moving water has the ability to really change the way a steel plate looks. I've noticed that without sacrificial anodes you get to see where the galvanic action is. And lastly I've seen lots of OS's sitting in bosuns chair's armed with a needle gun in their hands prepping for the inevitable 3 layers of paint.

So yeah, I've noticed their can be a bit of work with steel. Not sure if it's better or worse than fiberglass and wood, but I can weld steel. Not to sure yet of my plastic repair skills ;-)

But as I said, I did ships and boats (as in Destroyers) new and old not small craft. I'm willing to learn.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:44   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Bill!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have an excellent course of action. What type of sailing do you see yourself doing predominantly: live aboard, day sailing, weekend cruising? I ask because now that we have purchased our first cruiser, we find that we actually need 3 sailboats. A wooden dinghy for sailing around the harbor, a 30ft day sailer with a big cockpit for 6 adults for entertaining, and 36ft cruiser for weekends and vacations. Too bad we don't have any of these.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35   #6

Boat: Ross 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
But as I said, I did ships and boats (as in Destroyers) new and old not small craft. I'm willing to learn.
I think the main difference is that you can't fit as many gun turrets on a smaller boat ;-)

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bill.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:06   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymadman View Post
I think the main difference is that you can't fit as many gun turrets on a smaller boat ;-)
-luv it. He could build a ramming bow, however, --being a steel man, and all that..
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Bill !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:53   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Reality check as in they are a bad idea or a possible good one? I used to repair steel boats and ships. moving water has the ability to really change the way a steel plate looks. I've noticed that without sacrificial anodes you get to see where the galvanic action is. And lastly I've seen lots of OS's sitting in bosuns chair's armed with a needle gun in their hands prepping for the inevitable 3 layers of paint.

So yeah, I've noticed their can be a bit of work with steel. Not sure if it's better or worse than fiberglass and wood, but I can weld steel. Not to sure yet of my plastic repair skills ;-)

Hi None...Ya...don't want to start a controvery here but I have built 3 steels. Two were my own. I have been with F/G ever since. If your hull id 1/8" thick and you end up in a hot harbor, it's not unusual to loose 1/16". There is a reason steel fishing boats plaster their bottoms with zincs every 4-6 feet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 17:23   #11

I figure I'll continue with the daysailing / racing that i'm doing now then switch to some cruising / rentals. The long term goal, at this point in time would be to live aboard / passage making.

Until I'm sure I'm committed I'll take it a bit slower and as I mentioned try out different boats via rentals. So from that perspective I'll probably start a thread to get some ideas as to different designs (both sailing characteristics and interior layout) and then rent them to see how they handle and how 'livable' they can be. I do have a bride of 30 some years who would be more interested in the layout and ride more so than the effort required to make it go. But then when we discussed all of this with our financial advisor he did note her ideal retirement included gardening and mine said sail to places unknown (ok so not unknown but new to me). I wouldn't mind a cruise to NZ or the Med.

Edit: I could always crew for someone who has a nice boat instead of renting ;-) wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:58   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
I figure I'll continue with the daysailing / racing that i'm doing now then switch to some cruising / rentals. The long term goal, at this point in time would be to live aboard / passage making.

Until I'm sure I'm committed I'll take it a bit slower and as I mentioned try out different boats via rentals. So from that perspective I'll probably start a thread to get some ideas as to different designs (both sailing characteristics and interior layout) and then rent them to see how they handle and how 'livable' they can be. I do have a bride of 30 some years who would be more interested in the layout and ride more so than the effort required to make it go. But then when we discussed all of this with our financial advisor he did note her ideal retirement included gardening and mine said sail to places unknown (ok so not unknown but new to me). I wouldn't mind a cruise to NZ or the Med.

Edit: I could always crew for someone who has a nice boat instead of renting ;-) wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Yes, on your last sentence. That's why I'm crewing for CelestialSailor, wink, wink.

When you charter take a look at the hull material. Those folks know the economic benefit of their chosen hull. Also notice what hull material nearly all racers use.

Welcome aboard!

kind regards,

Tags
sail, sailing

« Hello | Newbie Here »