Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2008, 04:58   #1

New to sailing and need advice

Hi

I am new to the sailing world and am preparing to buy my first sail boat. Any recommendations, tips, etc will be appreciated.
Retazra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 05:28   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
That's harder than recommending a car. Go to yachtworld.com, or a similiar site. Look for what is in your budget. Buy some books that will give you needed information on making a choice. You need to do some research yourself. You will get a different answer from each member. This question is asked almost daily.

I am not trying to put you off, but without input from you that is valuable to you. It is hard to help you with your question. Finding a boat that meets ones needs is an elusive hunt at times. Everything is a compromise.

What's your budget? Where will you sail? How many people will be aboard? What amenities are needed by you, and the list goes on, and on.....BEST WISHES in getting pointed in the right direction. Choosing a boat just isn't all that easy.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 05:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Have you ever sailed before?

You might start with a dinghy or renting from your local club.

Welcome aboard Crusers Forum BTW. Glad to have you here.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 05:54   #4

I'm new to sailing too, Retazra, but I have a suggestion that might work for you (it's worked GREAT for me).

Take one of those adult learn to sail courses and start crewing for people who race (racers are always, always, always looking for people to crew). You'll be sailing at least one night a week (I race 3 nights a week, every other weekend, and often go out on committee boats for the ladies races) and you'll learn a lot of really useful sailing skills. Not only that, you'll get to sail on a variety of boats and with a lot of different setups for sheets and whatnot.

For myself, I've sailed on 10 makes of boat so far (I started in June of this year) and every new boat or new captain has taught me a lot. I eventually made regular crew so instead of getting to know a new boat every week or two I'm getting experience working in a tight-knit team and really getting to know the one boat (and how to tweak it for all it's worth).

For my money (it's freeeeeeeeeeee!!!!) you can't do better as a new sailor than to crew for people racing for a season or two before buying your own boat.
Scarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 06:12   #5

Hi everyone,

I have sailed before on 30ft yachts, I handled it well but I have booked a 6 month set sail course held at the Cruising Yacht Club her in Sydney. Your advice is great and I am taking it on board. Sailing has to be the best thing I have ever done. It just makes me calm and happy.

I was thinking of buying something next year after my course and starting with a 24 ft second hand, a close friend of mine is an experienced sailor and would accompany me until I felt absolutely confident on my own.
Retazra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 13:11   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Retarza,
Welcome aboard! I say this to all who ask: 32-36 foot LOD, cutter rig, fiberglass, aft cockpit with a diesel auxiliary. There are many here who disagree so you'll be hearing from them too I'm certain.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 07:38   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Retarza,

For sailing Sydney Harbour suggest either J24 or something of similar style.

In Western Oz there were two popular designs around that length. The MB24 and the Swarbrick 24 - both of which allow for more space than the J.

Check out all three and compare what you get.

Good luck
JOHN
Old 20-09-2008, 09:50   #8

Send a message via AIM to DougB954
Scarl,

You mentioned in one of your post's about being a crew member for people who race. Where do I go to find out more on this?
DougB954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 10:47   #9

Hi DougB954,

I'd guess your best bet would be to go down to a local marina or yacht club and ask around. I took an adult learn to sail class so I could get "in" with the local sailors, which helped... but most of the people I see crewing on regular race nights haven't taken any courses in sailing. Where I am you could just show up on the dock on any given night and have two or three captains ask you if you are looking to crew.

Pretty much anywhere you have regular racing there are going to be captains looking for crew, and they are often happy to take inexperienced people (even completely new to sailing) in the hopes of finding someone who might stay long enough to learn the ropes. Depending on your experience you might just start as ballast (sitting high-side), but inevitably people miss races and you'd be called upon to take on more interesting jobs.

I never intended to race but I am loving it, and being on so many different boats under racing conditions (pushed to the limits) has helped me see what I want and don't want in my boat. When I get one I'm still going to crew for other people for a few years as it's fantastic experience.

Scarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 12:07   #10

Send a message via AIM to DougB954
I'm over here in Ft. Lauderdale, so I guess I'll search for the sailing clubs like you mentioned. Thanks for the reply
DougB954 is offline   Reply With Quote