Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-01-2016, 09:14   #1

New to Sailing and love to learn

Hi Everyone =)

I love water. Always have. Canoes, boating, scuba diving, fishing - I grew up on the water (in Muskoka) and I just feel at home there. You grow up, get busy, and take what pieces that you can.

I was in Grenada with my 10 year old and we did a snorkeling trip on a 60' cat and I have a picture of him sleeping on the front net. The silence and only hearing the wind and waves as we sailed back was an "aha!" moment for me.

I live near the 1000 islands in Canada, so there is a lot of water to enjoy. The only sailing I ever did was 20 years ago in a 12' boat.

The bug has bit, so to speak.

Lucky for me I have patience and a strong desire to learn. After reading several blogs of people who have "left it all" to pursue a life of cruising (something I can't do.. for at least 5 years) I learned a few things already. In preparation of learning to sail my FIRST step was to sign up for a night course at the college. Marine Mechanics. (It's winter here anyway, no sailing to do.)

Second was a 6 day liveaboard sailing course in May.

Sadly the Canadian Dollar has crashed and while a year ago when things were near par there were fair deals to have, there is no market for boats in Canada (everything is priced in USD) and while its a great time to sell (you get back your 40% depreciation on a 10 year old boat!) its not a good time to buy.

That won't stop me though, I have a lot to learn and experience, and I am sure there are a lot of skippers in the area who could use a sailing friend =)

Anyway - looking forward to reading a lot and learning a lot here. It is a bit intimidating (I have been reading here for a while without registering) but it seems in the end pleasantries and level headed folk show up in most heated debates =)

Founts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:48   #2

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s
Re: New to Sailing and love to learn

I've been at it for 32 years... and before I began I had absolutely no experience with boats.. except ferries and one weekend when I was in highschool on a friends father's cabin cruiser. Seemed like fun but nothing clicked.

My college roommate acquired a 31' sailboat unbeknownsts to me and he wanted help with Spring prep... And this was my first up close and personal contact with the world of sailing... interesting but it wasn't until he sailed us on a 100 mile trip did it click.

A little over a year later after many books and a Colgate learn to sail course I bought the boat I have still (YIKES). It was kinda crazy... like being tossed into the deep end of the pool.

I was addicted to the new, the learning, the challenge... the experience of being on the water, the freedom.... everything about sailing hit the right notes for me and they music never stops! I was fortunate to buy the right boat and then 6 yrs on be fortunate to be able to live aboard and cruise in the Caribbean. My life was not complicated and so sailing fit in.

Members here are very helpful... ask... you'll get some excellent advice... wealth of knowledge and experience here. You never stop learning... but you have to ask... and try... and fail... and then succeed.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:50   #3

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22
Re: New to Sailing and love to learn

I'm new to it also! Great thing to learn.... Welcome!
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: