Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 11:55   #1

Boat: None yet
New to sailing and a plug for ECY

From northern Virginia, greetings all. By way of introduction, my name is Bob, and though I’m new to sailing on the water, I have sailed the skies as a private pilot in gliders for the last eight years. I’ve been lurking around CF since last October all the while soaking up tons of good info over many many hours as I prepare to take up (the) sailing (lifestyle). Even though I mostly grew up on or near the southeastern U.S. Gulf coast, until a couple of weeks ago I had never even been aboard a sailboat. But I expected that I would take to it like…well, a fish in water. I recently had that first sailing experience, and it was everything I had expected it to be – and more.

A few months ago my wife and I booked a 4-day basic keelboat and basic coastal cruising program in May with Emerald Coast Yachts in Pensacola Beach, FL. The business being run by Captain Rick (our instructor) and his wife Peg, they were as wonderful and welcoming as anyone could have possibly been. Their operation was professionally run, they maintain a well-kempt fleet of boats, and overall I was just thoroughly impressed. I highly recommend them if you are considering private sailing lessons or chartering in the Pensacola area. I plan to return again at a later date to complete the basic bareboat charter course and others. [Full disclosure: I am in no way whatsoever connected to ECY neither in business nor personally. I am nothing more than a very satisfied, if not very enthusiastic, customer. Oh… I also “liked” them on Facebook.]

Anyway, though purchasing a boat is still a few years away, I plan to continue lurking the forum and immersing myself in everyone else’s knowledge as much as possible. My long-term goal is to cruise the gulf coast with my wife in a ~38-foot production sailboat and eventually explore the Bahamas. Perhaps even making passage to the BVI may be something for which to plan in the (far too distant) future.

Thanks.

Bob
Skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 19:19   #2

Boat: WWP 19
Re: New to sailing and a plug for ECY

Bob,
Pensacola is a great area to start sailing. Glad you enjoy your sailing course, and hope you continue with your sailing. That is the way I started,except in a different part of Florida.
Old 18-05-2012, 03:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

Glad you enjoyed your cruising course.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 03:16   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Welcome to CF, Bob. Over the years I've noticed that pilots seem to be strangely attracted to sailboats. Many of them name their boat CAVU*. Hope you and your wife realize your dream. My wife and I agree that our time cruising on our IP were some of our best years together.

*Ceiling And Visibility Unlimited
Old 13-06-2012, 12:29   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here.
I've always been curious about how folks new to sailing decide on what length of boat they want to cruise in. Does that come about by talking with instructors or cruisers or with going aboard a few boats?
kind regards,

Tags
sailing