Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2010, 17:31   #1

New to Sailing

Greetings all. I thought I'd tip my hat. About me:

New to sailing: just took a class (20 hrs in a 17' daysailer)
Husband to one
Father to three little kids (6, 4, 2)
Home Port: Morro Bay.

I want to get into sailing. I'd like to get a first sailboat that's big enough for the family and I to eventually sail to San Diego and the islands in between (Channel Islands, Catalina). I know little to nothing about boats right now. Any recommendations for a first boat?

scott

Old 20-07-2010, 17:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard to go wrong with a westsail 32. If you don't mind work, get a hans christian or a union polaris.

1973 Westsail 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

If you have gobs of money get a valiant.

Old 20-07-2010, 22:12   #3

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Welcome to the forum . No boat recs from me though.I am more of a newbie than you are.
Old 20-07-2010, 23:27   #4

Walk the docks at Monterey or Santa Barbara. Chat up the locals. If I was scrubbing the decks of the boat in Monterey and you walked up you'd get a tour and, like here on CF, more of my odd opinions about everything sailing than you really expected. Same all down every dock on the coast.
Old 21-07-2010, 01:05   #5

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrobay View Post
I'd like to get a first sailboat that's big enough for the family and I to eventually sail to San Diego and the islands in between (Channel Islands, Catalina). I know little to nothing about boats right now. Any recommendations for a first boat?
My first boat (I still have it) was 29'. If I was doing it all agian I'd buy something 18' - 20' because they are incredibly cheap and you learn the same lessons. The easier it is to sail, the less stressed you'll be and the quicker the family will enjoy it. Some lessons are expensive to learn and the bigger the boat the bigger the pain. When you want to go further afield, buy something bigger then. Just my $0.02 worth. Welcome to the forum!

Greg
Old 21-07-2010, 06:30   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think for a family of 5 to take trips a 18-20ft. boat is a wee bit cramped. I would stick to something around 30ft. It will allow a wee bit of room to escape the sardine feeling, and especially after several days of travelling.

For day sails it will be cheaper, and you do learn the same lessons, but it will be cramped.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 07:26   #7

Thanks All

Thanks for the recommendations, all. I especially like the idea of walking the docks to get lots of local commentary.

While I do feel the pull toward a bigger boat (feels more stable), I'm thinking of a '68 24' Islander Bahama right now. I can get one locally for 1200: functional without a lot of fancy stuff.

Ilander Bahama

I do still want to cast about for a bigger boat. My size concerns are less to do with the cabin size and more with smoothness of the ride; I want my family to like my new hobby. :-)
Old 21-07-2010, 15:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Watch the mooring / slip costs as well. Unless you can keep it out of the water via a trailer (which makes it more of a pain in the rear to go sailing), the monthly costs can quickly surpass the purchase price. A haul/block/paint/launch, along with draining some blisters, servicing the thruhulls, and checking the cutlass bearing will cost you around ~1200 as well.

Not in any way advising against sailing; I wouldn't trade it in for the world. But make sure you get some hard numbers on the monthly costs to park and maintain the vessel.
Old 21-07-2010, 15:43   #9

will do

Will do, RH. I've been doing some phone-calling and have started to realize how true what you've said is.
Old 21-07-2010, 15:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's always this line to keep in mind as well: I spent all my money on women, boats, and alcohol. The rest was wasted.
Old 22-07-2010, 23:01   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
The last time I was at Moss Landing there were lots of bargain priced boats.
That's just another place to look. I do like Catalinas. Just look at as many as you can find in your price range and choose the one that fits you the best. Before buying run your selection by the forum here to see what kind of comments you get.
If you are going to do some coastal cruising 24 is going to get very cramped very quickly. Islanders are pretty good boats but have some specific issues with specific models just like all other boats.
kind regards
Old 23-07-2010, 08:59   #12

aye

Aye John, I've come to the same conclusion: 24 is too small for a family. 30 is minimum. I'll post any developments. I'm in no hurry. :-)
Old 23-07-2010, 13:05   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
That's a good size. You can read some of the links after my signature line and maybe the book I have listed there for some ideas.
At 30 feet you won't find boats designed to be trailerable but you could trailer a 30 footer with some ingenuity.
You're in a great area for boat hunting. Look on craigslist and sailboatlistings.com to get some prices.
regards,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: