Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55   #1

New to Sailing

I am currently looking around for a crusier and stumbled across this forum and it seems very informative. I am interested in a Gib'sea 76, I wondered if anyone had any opinions or advice on these?

Jack
woodirocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard Jack! No opinions but I am certain other will have theirs.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:52   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jack,
Welcome aboard! I don't know the boat but good to have you here and posting.
regards,
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43   #4

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
bib'sea 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodirocks View Post
I am currently looking around for a crusier and stumbled across this forum and it seems very informative. I am interested in a Gib'sea 76, I wondered if anyone had any opinions or advice on these?

Jack
Welcome Jack the gib'sea is a medium cruiser that is more than capable of taking you to many places saftely. The accomodation is quite nicely set out and for 1 or 2 people its a nice to handle. Need any more advie just ask
Regards Pete and Sally
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 21:37   #5

For what it's worth, I rented a 33' 2002 Gib'Sea a few months ago on Lake Huron. While my sailing experience has been little as well, I did have experience on a 1994 30' Catalina and a 1996 36' Catalina.

The Catalina's in my opinion were much better boats. I experienced some rough waters on Lake Huron on the Gib'Sea and I really did struggle to keep her in line. I also had some rough waters on Lake Erie on the 36' Catalina. I didn't have to struggle as much with the Catalina. It just seemed to be a lot easier to handle and much more responsive at the helm.

In addition, I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the swim platform I had on the Gib'Sea (not sure if the one you're looking at will have one or not). I guess these swim platforms can create problems in the stern berths. I heard this annoying water slapping noise all night long. Perhaps others can shed some light on this, but upon Googling I found out this is common with all boats with a swim platform?

Either way, I digress... We also had problems with the head on the Gib'Sea. The rental company maintenance guy came out twice to try and fix it, but it continued to have problems all week. They ended up completely rebuilding it after my rental. This was after a waste tank replacement before my trip.

Don't know if my experience is a common thing or not, but not a good first impression of a Gib'Sea. Especially for a boat that is "newer". Finally, I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe the manufacturer is out of business for these boats as well.

I could be wrong though. I have known to be wrong on at least one or two other occassions... Just my 2 cents.
Old 15-11-2009, 07:24   #6

Welcome Aboard Jack! Gib'sea does have at least one owner group; The Gib'Sea Association You may be able to get some owner tips and feedback there.

Good luck

Tags
Gib'Sea, new sailors