Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 04:22   #1

New to sailing

Hello everybody,

I have been lurking around here for a little while now. As a kid who always loved boats and the water (unfortunately prone to sea sickness). And now as an adult that never grew out of it, but is not as sensitive to motion sickness as I once was and with a little bit of spare time, I came to the conclusion Its time to broaden my horizons.

As much as I would love to just jump in with full abandon, there are a couple of conclusions I have drawn from reading this board. Other than finances being limited (for myself at least).

1. Don't jump in before you learn how to swim. I know this should go without saying but seeing a great deal on an internet add and thinking hey, that's totally doable isn't the whole story obviously.

2 Take small, realistic steps and learn which direction is best for you, taking lessons, joining a sailing- yacht club, getting something small and manageable within your skillset and working your way though the ranks to see if this is really where you want to devote your time and energy. For some its a passing fad, for others its a hobby, and for some a calling or way of life.

With all that being said, I would love to get out on the water and see where I fit in. I've come to the conclusion that a sailing club might be the way to go to get my feet wet so to speak. Now...., I know that there is a wealth of knowledge here and my question is this. Living in the southern California area does anybody have opinions on the best clubs to look into for a beginner on a budget?
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: New to sailing

Welcome to the forum...Maybe Google clubs in your area and see what they have to offer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:11   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome! I can't say this enough, especially for someone who's young and maybe not financially in a place where a yacht club or a charter school makes sense -- check out the sailing meet-ups in your area. There might also be sailing schools that work on a sliding scale basis. You might try Googlin' that, too.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18   #4

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I think you will have to be more specific about "Southern California," unless you are half way between LA and San Diego.

Here is one with locations in both San Diego and Long Beach: San Diego and Long Beach Sailing Club, Sailboat Rentals, Sailing Lessons

Oh, and if you think you might want to invest, we will be selling a 18' pocket cruiser soon. The only caveat is that we enjoyed it so much we got something twice as big.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:23   #5

Boat: Sovereign 24

I recommend in addition to trying to get out on the water, getting the book "Your First Sailboat"

Your First Sailboat, Second Edition by Daniel Spurr | 9780071813471 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

A very informative book that also happens to be very current. Reviews and diagrams of several different types of sailboats, sections on what to look out for when buying one, descriptions of the different types of boats available and what fits you, etc.
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51   #6

Thank you everybody,

As to the question of location, I actually am about halfway between LA and SD (inland) so I was looking in long beach, Newport, Dana point and SD. I've seen plenty of things online, just wondering if anybody is a member or has an opinion on the local clubs here from first hand experience.
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 15:41   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I can highly recommend this gentleman:

Sailing Lessons in San Diego | West Coast Sailing

He is a bit salty, and we both learned a ton from him and will be hiring him for private lessons when we have our new to us boat ready.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 12:17   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. There is a ton of opportunities for sailing on the coast near you. Start with any marina and check bulletin boards. Do google searches for clubs. Seasickness doesn't normally effect you when you are in a Bay and there are a great many sheltered area where that won't be an issue.

Tags
sail, sailing