Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2015, 04:15   #1

New to Sailboats

I am very happy to join this site. I have recently purchased a 1973 Irwen28, I will have many questions regarding this boat, and I know I've come to the right place.

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Shawn Fitz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 04:44   #2

Re: New to Sailboats

Welcome! What are your plans? I hope you like projects, and don't mind fiberglass work. It probably hasn't had much love in its 40 years. C/B or fin keel? Look for mast step integrity & core saturation.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-01-2015, 05:01   #3

I will enjoy bringing her back to life..I am new to sailboats tho. She is a fin keel, I believe. She was flooded with rain water. After I dealt with that, I demoed all the plywood that had been soaking. I removed a bulkhead/doorway from underneath the deck stepped mast. Something told me to put something back quick, as the mast had no support. I am a fabricator and can build most anything..but I'm gonna need help with this boat. I want her strong and safe. Any help will be gladly accepted. Thank you

Old 13-01-2015, 05:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shawn.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 05:16   #5

Thank you very much!

Old 13-01-2015, 07:12   #6

Look closely at the laminate around the mast step area. These boats used a cored laminate for stiffness, and if there were any cracks that developed in 40 years, water will have penetrated the laminate in the way of the mast step and the unremitting pressure it must support. This water will have led to rot. The solution will be to remove the mast and the outer laminate layer and rebuild the core thickness with solid resin & fiberglass. Any spongy areas in the desk will also need to be addressed, though the optimum repair can vary.

I had a similar age Bristol 26, and repairs ranged from filling core space with resin under the mast step, to completely replacing core with plywood in cockpit, to drilling 1" center "drying holes," injecting alcohol to promote drying, and injecting resin "posts" in soft side deck areas.

In the cabin, don't forget to look under the floor to make sure the compression path continues all the way to the keel! In my case, the mahogany block that was intended to do this job had come adrift and was lying ten feet astern, probably provoking the original mast step cracks.

Likewise, check all deck fittings. They probably all should be removed, have balsa core reefed out around holes, be filled with epoxy, and re drilled. Fittings should be bedded with butyl tape.

Fin keel eh? Probably encapsulated ballast in fiberglass. If it found rocks in its history, check integrity of repairs.

In your response, you said
Quote:
I am a fabricator and can build most anything.
:

You'll have LOTS of opportunities to do that!
Old 13-01-2015, 07:26   #7

I'm sure I will. I did check hole for soft spots and found none. There are no signs of crazing or cracking around mast step. Maybe I got lucky? Another concern are the thru hole fittings..they are original and are of bronze. I have researched Irwen sailboats of this age and found out they were built very well. The hull was laid up before the 80s, when it was said that the resins changed. She is a strong boat that was just neglected. When I first saw her I actually felt bad that someone would leave her in that condition. I inquired about her and purchased her for a measly $200. I love the opportunity that I have now, I've always wanted an older sailboat. She has had her Atomic 4 removed, so I'll have no engine worries. My 4hp Sailmaster outboard will do the job of moving her..I even was donated a jib that was giving to another boat owner but doesn't fit his boat..all in all, this is going to be my proving ground..I will learn as much as I can and will pay close attention to any advice that is given here. Thanks again!

Old 13-01-2015, 08:43   #8
cruiser

Good luck. Sounds like an adventure.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:50   #9

If anyone has any advice, I would like to hear it. Thank you

Old 13-01-2015, 14:09   #10

Hi all, new to this site. 47' Alden ketch rig, ski boats, bicycle, etc. thought I would join in in some discussions if I need help or share my very few pearls of wisdom. Hale from spokane, wa area.
Painter bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:16   #11

Welcome Painter Bob, I'm new here to. Great site, were there is a lot of knowledge to be dispensed.

Old 13-01-2015, 16:05   #12

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome Bob & Shawn,

My advice is to research the forum extensively. There are a lot of questions you may have that have been asked/answered before. You could always come back to clarify something you don't understand. Research is key

Break up your projects into smaller parts. If you do too much at once, you may get overwhelmed and that could discourage you from continuing. It's not a race. Take your time to do the work you need to do the right way the first time. If you half-ass it, you may end up having to redo something sooner than you expected.

Make the boat safe and sound. If you doubt the condition of something (like standing rigging), you may want to replace it.

Keep us up to date on how your progress goes. It's always good to learn from others, both the things that work and the things that didn't. That's pretty much why I started a blog for my boat. I wanted to show what I was doing and if anyone had suggestions along the way, they could leave comments on my work.

Good luck to you and your boat.
~Daniel
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 16:12   #13

Thank you Daniel. I have a lot to learn, and I'm eager. It has always been one of my dreams to own a sailboat. Now I just have to get her in shape. I'm using the app and can't seem to upload any pictures of my boat and the projects I have done so far..any help with this would be great.

Tags
sail, sailboat