Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 06:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 420
New to Liveaboard Life

Well I did it! I’ve waited to post until I actually moved on the boat. I’ve looked for 2 ½ years to find the sailboat I wanted….it never happened!.... I bought a powerboat instead to live on. It was either the price or style that I couldn’t get to match so out of frustration I just bought a powerboat. I’ve been on the fence for several years but one of the members on here I think his name is MarkJ kept posting responses to members to- just go do it! I was reading some post he had responded to and thought what an ass! It’s not that easy…it’s not…but it was. Well come to find out he was right and I was the ass! He said once, “don’t let anyone tell you no, just go do it!” For all you on the fencers…lol…Listen to what MarkJ told me. Plus I didn’t want to turn 80 years old sitting on a porch somewhere thinking, why didn’t I do it when I had the chance. I’ve been a boater for 30 years so I get boats but living on one is different. I’m in my late 50’s and work from the boat, divorced with two girls out of college so it was the time to do it. You only live once and it’s over in a blink……Most everyone told me I was crazy- now that's changed. Now I get "wow, you are really doing what you wanted to do". Thanks MarkJ whoever you are.

Anyway, I bought a Carver 440, started in Stuart six months ago but now reside in West Palm. I was amazed at all the nitpicky things you must keep up on maintenance wise. I found out early on you get to know every sound and when it doesn’t sound right the register rings!…so learn to repair as much as you can. And if and when the repairman comes- watch and take notes. Most of it isn’t rocket science but you do need to do it once to feel comfortable. As for the twin diesels well I’m not ready for that yet but the filters, oil changes, etc, I can handle. I’m close to having most everything up to par so things should settle down. Just need to keep the regular maintenance up after that. I’m early in this but love it. As for the women…it’s been good and bad. Space has been the biggest complaint but they like the rocking! The best part of a live aboard to me is freedom. I can untie and be off to someplace new when I get bored. Since I work on the boat all I need is phone/internet access.

Now here’s the real plan..I want that sailboat! So I’m on this boat for two years then I’m buying the sailboat. I have 2 1/2 years of sailboat looking so I now know what to expect and believe it will be easier to make that decision when the time comes. Then I’m off….Maybe South America maybe not! But I’m going somewhere and it won’t be coastal cruising in the good ol USA. The forum has been great and I’ve learned a lot..thanks to all that posted. Doug
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Re: New to Liveaboard life

Welcome Doug,
We have a lot in common. I'm living on and am refitting my 40' ketch with similar plans. Moving the boat to Florida before winter and then to Panama after hurricane season next year. Maybe we'll meet up somewhere along the line.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:35   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Welcome Doug
I would say go for it, but you already are
Happy adventures, and see ya out there ( keep an eye out for Rain Dog)
Mrs. Rain Dog
Old 12-09-2011, 13:26   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum Doug
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: New to Liveaboard Life

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting now. You'll be able to ask questions and maybe someone here can help.
kind regards,
Old 20-10-2011, 12:54   #6

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar
Re: New to Liveaboard Life

Good luck and welcome aboard

Tags
liveaboard