Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 12:05   #1

Boat: Tartan 372
New to Forum

Hello, I'm new to sailing and would like to introduce myself and hopefully glean some information about sailing and make some new friends. I have always been fascinated with the water be it salt or fresh. My fondest memory would be when I was very young I would take a normal sheet of used roofing tin and fold the edges somewhat and float down the creek until it would slowly fill up with water from the nail holes. Unfortunately as I got older my interests waned to other things. Racing, aviation, the medical field, scuba instructor, & raising a family. I still very much enjoy them all. As I near retirement I have entertained the thought of living on a sailboat. Maybe the romance, self-reliance, challenges, & many other things I'm sure draws me towards it. I think I would be a good fit in the sailing community. I'm very mechanically oriented from building my own airplane and flying it across America to custom paint and modifications to motorcycles and vehicles. Some have even won awards. I would like to move this skill-set to sailing my own. I'm slowly educating myself on what type of boat I would want, training, costs. Hopefully, as time allows, I will be able to see it through. I have thick skin and don't offend easily and have no problem dishing it out. So if I ask any stupid questions, and there will be many, please don't beat me up too bad.
Tcubed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: New to Forum

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

That was a nice intro note.

There are several (or many) pilots here on CF.

Your experience and love of the sea should help you reach your goals sailing.

Have fun on the Ocean and on CF too!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 16:34   #3

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tcubed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:09   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Tcubed66, Welcome to the forum, I think starting with a smaller size boat would get you out on the water more often, if only for the reason you can hop on the boat and be out on the water at the drop of a hat. Larger boats seem to always have more things that require attention and less time to sail. That's been my personal experience anyway. I love my boat but would rather be out sailing than working on it.
Don't worry about asking questions, that's how we all learn.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:51   #6

Boat: Charter

Welcome aboard, Tcubed66!

I'm curious if there is an explanation behind your ID: "Tcubed66"?
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 18:52   #7

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm definitely not even ready for a big sailboat any time soon. I will be be slow about any purchase in the future. I have several times in my life taken too big of a bite of the pie way too many times! The outcome was great but cost me twofold! Or even more...I'm several hours from the gulf so my hands on experience will come in spurts, but will be going sailing with a new friend in a few weeks at the yacht club. Not sure if I'm a fit for the type but will enjoy the experience. I'm sure I will make a fool of myself but will learn much. My "handle" is basically my initials cubed and the year I was born. TTT 66. Nothing special. So.....if anyone has a need for a crew..err..deckhand near the MS coast some weekend I would appreciate any offer of training.
Old 05-09-2017, 19:14   #8

Boat: wanting a cat

Welcome to a healthy cult!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 21:26   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It sounds like you have the right stuff to give living aboard and cruising a try. Your skill set sounds great for what you are thinking about doing.

You never know whether you will like cruising until you give it a try. The compromises of a cruising lifestyle are significant, and everyone has to come to an agreement with life as to what compromises are acceptable to them. What you are willing to tolerate changes over the years as well. When I was sailing around the world on Exit Only, I had to roll with lots of punches, and I am not sure I am willing to make those same compromises again. That being said, I am refitting Exit Only for another cruising adventure. It will be interesting to see what compromises I am comfortable with and willing to make on this trip.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum