Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18   #31

Boat: Bayliner 265, 27' - Sra. Escopeta
Hi All, due to so much needed guidance, I decided to postpone my jump to Bimini until July 4th week I did go in March via commercial plane to Nassau for a week and learned how to sail. I've never seen such prestine waters in my life. The nearest was off the coast of San Andress, Columbia. I've met a couple of people in Miami area that recommend going in groups and now we are planning a jump to Bimini with several size boats. Adams, if you are interested, you are welcome to join us. we will most likely depart out of Homestead or Blackpoint Marina. Again, thank you all and will surely post some pics of this most excellent trip.
LouMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 19:27   #32

Bimini

Hi guys,

I'm also a new boater and recently purchased a Robalo R260 (26') with twin 250hp motors.
In May a friend of mine is making the crossing for memorial weekend.
I was wondering what your opinions would be of me joining him with my 26 footer.

Kind regards
Robalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:24   #33
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalo View Post
Hi guys,

I'm also a new boater and recently purchased a Robalo R260 (26') with twin 250hp motors.
In May a friend of mine is making the crossing for memorial weekend.
I was wondering what your opinions would be of me joining him with my 26 footer.

Kind regards
Sounds like fun! We will also probalby cross, but to Lucaya Memorial day weekend. I am a sailor, and I have crossed more times than I can count, and with the sailboat, we never checked the weather or the state of the gulfstream before crossing.

However, we just did our first crossing in our Sea Ray 46. Seas in the stream were 4-6, and for many parts we couldn't go more than 8 knots lest we beat the boat to pieces. No problems, but it just seeemed that any faster really started to punish the boat.

I am not sure how your boat handles the seas, but I would try for 2ft or less in the stream. You can make it in 6, but it is just many hours of what some might find unpleasant. Don't break your significant other into boating in the stream in a powerboat in 6ft or more.

It took us 8 hours from Palm Beach to Lucaya, and in calmer seas we could have made it in 4 easy and not been covered in salt when we got there.

In the sailboat, it is a whole different world. 6ft in the gulfstream in a sailboat would have been just another day.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 05:24   #34

Good afternoon guys,
Friday looks good to go, but monday (return) looks like this.
"MONDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

What do you recommend?
It will be in a 33' formula twin engine boat.

Regards,

Leo
Robalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 06:26   #35
jzk

We are going to Lucaya from Palm Beach on Friday and returning Monday. Last time we crossed a couple of weeks ago, it was 4-6. 4-6 just means you have to go slower and the ride will not be for the faint of heart, but I don't think it puts the boat in any kind of danger. You have to go slow lest you beat the crap out of your boat. It is all about comfort.

The forecast for Monday is that the seas will be subsiding. Now it is 5-7, but we have Tuesday as a backup plan. This time we will have all of the women, so they might not be up for rockin and rollin.

This video is crossing the stream in about 3-4:

In two foot or less, our boat barely moves.
Old 23-05-2008, 08:50   #36

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You do not want to cross the Gulf Stream in those north winds.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 08:08   #37
jzk

Well, we crossed on Monday from Lucaya to Jupiter. Seas seemed 7-9 but mostly longer, gentle waves. The boat was lifted up, tossed around, and taking plenty of waves but no real "slamming." And, we went our full cruising speed of 21 knots with no trouble. Slowing down didn't seem to make the ride any more comfortable for those who were getting seasick. The only trouble was how hard it was to look for traffic while getting constantly hit with waves. Our plastic windows are pretty cloudy, so I had to try to keep watch looking through the actual windshield.

We are a sea ray 46.

All in all some pretty good fun.
Old 15-10-2008, 12:23   #38

sea isle

I am planning a trip to Bimini (first time) next May or June. I'm trying to locate Marinas where boats tag in groups to lessen the risks. I will be interested to see the responses to your inquiry. The good thing about my trip will be no time constraints in picking the best weather. Good luck
jclinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 04:29   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Florida to Bimini Flotillas:

Check with the Bahamas Tourism Board which sponsors organized flotillas to Bimini and other islands.
Bahamas Tourist Office
1200 South Pine Island Road
Suite 750
Plantation, FL 33324
Phone: 800-32-SPORTS
Fax: 954-236-9282

I don’t know if the Bimini Fling is still in operation; but it was a popular event for smaller boats. It used to depart Bahia Mar (Ft. Lauderdale) every June.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 18:15   #40

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
One point that you might want to consider strongly is Government Cut in an east wind with an outgoing tide right at the channel entrance to the outside. VERY LARGE waves, confused seas, especially for a 26'er. Several fatal boat flips in that channel every year, much like Hullover cut. Saw it myself 3 weeks ago and was quite thrown about in a 52 ft. Irwin at almost 23 tons. Doesn't last, but is very hard to manage, I would say extremely dangerous in a 26' boat.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands, miami

« Hey! :) | Greetings »