Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2013, 22:53   #31
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30
Re: New Skipper, Old Boat

use passage weather and read it every day before you go,and at any port. its all going to be about the weather.get a radar and chart plotter they will be a must have.I'm sure you know about all your saftey gear.

Old 24-06-2013, 23:40   #32

Boat: 1935 33' Falmouth Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
By the way, regarding anchors, you wrote (jokingly?) "some kind of metal one I presume?" Well, you bought a wooden boat--so why not a wooden anchor? Ok, so now I'm being flippant, but really now, were you serious? Some kind of metal I presume?
Yes, I was joking. Don't get me wrong--I'm not hep to the arts and vagaries of anchorship. But my success in life has been due, in part, to hearing lots of different opinions and facts, and then using that information to make an assessment. It's the only thing that I'm good at, really.

I love the kind of feedback that I have received so far, and it has already given me invaluable insight into the expectation I have for hired crew and areas of personal improvement. This forum is truly excellent, because people are here to share their experiences and ideas, and I don't take it lightly. Time is on my side, and my only regret now is that I didn't join CF eight years ago, when this dream was hatched. I am genuinely grateful for the expertise and caring advice that I have received so far. Keep it coming, CF! It's all golden!!

Old 24-06-2013, 23:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
use passage weather and read it every day before you go,and at any port. its all going to be about the weather.get a radar and chart plotter they will be a must have.I'm sure you know about all your saftey gear.
Hi and thanks! I'm still learning about safety gear, and would love any advice you have to offer.
Old 24-06-2013, 23:48   #34

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

As you can see....you are getting the "proffesionals" now to laugh at. There are plenty of boats (old woodies also) that do Mexico this time of year. Yes you can stay close to shore. yes, you can pick your weather windows and yes, you can harbor hop, lessening the overnight trips. Yopu may wantto consider experienced crew for the trip to San Diego. That's what I'm doing. You may even want to crew on another vessel to get your first experience at it.
Just my opinion...forget all the electronic do dads and stick with a couple of GPS's and charts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 00:45   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Want maneuvering room to not get blown onto it.
What is wrong with taking experienced crew?
Nothing wrong with experienced crew! That's my preference!!
Old 25-06-2013, 03:58   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Fox View Post
OK, so let me ask another newbie question:
Why can't I just stick to shore while I sail? Why can't I stay less than 5 miles from the shoreline?
You can do whatever you want to.. Coastal cruising is a blast.. Slow and fun

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 05:39   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See "Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)"
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf

And ➥ Marine Surveying : Surveying Wood Hulls - Old Boats and Yachts

And ➥ Surveying Wooden Boats: It's More Art Than Science

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 05:54   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Fox View Post
Nothing wrong with experienced crew! That's my preference!!
I would suggest you go to your local sailing club and start taking lessons. After a few, get one of the instructors to spend some time with you on your boat, teaching the basics of what makes her sail (well). Then get a ride off-shore with another boat (preferably a 5-6 day ocean ride). Now you will know if you really, really want to sail.

Vancouver through the ditch to the chesapeake is a long ride. By all means, buy Poul a dinner when you get there. If you go further and end up in my part of the world, I'll buy you dinner (and introduce you to some of the many wooden boat sailors we have here in Denmark). But it will take you a few years to get here.

Good luck - but get some sailing lessons. Learn to do it right.
Old 25-06-2013, 06:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Wow, NICE!! Thank you, Gord!
Old 25-06-2013, 07:00   #40
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Skipper, Old Boat

He is GOOD....
CF's best asset...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 11:58   #41

Boat: Valiant 40

Paul's warnings and concerns are well founded. Among sailors the true currency of value is experience, far above "knowledge." One can read Calder's tome on boat repair from cover to cover and be only marginally better prepared to deal with issues that arise in your boat, miles upon miles from any safe harbor. Beyond that, real "seamanship", the ability to intelligently and safely pilot your vessel and make well-founded decisions, in a crisis or not, comes from miles spent on the water.

Sailing down the west coast of the USA is no joke. There are long, long stretches with no safe harbor, a lee shore that is extremely dangerous, and the whole of the Pacific to starboard just waiting to throw you a curve.

You'll learn more volunteering for an offshore leg on and experienced person's boat, in a week or two, than you can imagine. Because you don't know what you don't know until you're around people that know it and you experience it through them. This is not only true about seamanship in near-coastal and offshore waters, but about how to prepare a boat for long term cruising.

To be clear, I'm not trying to put you off of your dream or your prospective voyage. On the contrary, I'll be the first to cheer you on and smile with vicarious thrills at your reports. But you'll enjoy it immensely more, and be more successful if you spend time on someone else's boat first. You can hire a captain for part of the voyage but honestly you're not going to learn as much from that as watching and helping someone on their own boat.

One last thing. I'm sitting here in Annapolis on my boat and it's one of those burning hot June days with the sun beating down mercilessly. That boat of yours, she is going to be HOT here with black hull, wood decks and cabin. At the very least you're going to want to have a big long awning made that shades as much of the boat as possible, at anchor or slipped. In fact you'll want that before you even get to southern CA.
Old 26-06-2013, 12:16   #42

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome Aboard, Salty Fox... remember that the advice you receive here is worth exactly what you pay for it. On the other hand there are many who follow this forum with many years and 100,000's of sea miles behind them. When you ask a question, usually you will get a few answers and you can read how the disagreements about these answers become heated at times depending on the writers point of view and experience.
We are by and large polite and sincere in our responses, but not always. So take the advice with a grain of salt.
Good luck in your learning experience and hopefully your successful trip south and north... sounds like a great adventure! Cheers, Phil
Old 26-06-2013, 17:25   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello,Salty Fox and the rest of the folks,

There are so many issues here, it's almost overwhelming. However, sailing on the order of 3500 mi in a year when you have cyclone season to contend with for 6 months, and zero experience is an "adventure" unlikely to be successfully completed. It isn't a lack of intelligence that is the concern, but the lack of knowledge that has to be hands-on; it simply isn't available in toto from books.

Arbitrary advice, in no particular order, stay out of the shipping lanes where possible, stay more than 5 mi offshore. What kind of watch schedule are you going to maintain? You will be doing "over-nighters", and if you're single handing, you'll have to sleep sometime. There are no 7-11's out there to park in for the night, and it is not all day hops. It happens that the run from Cape Flattery to San Francisco takes you past the Cape Mendocino gale, and it's not a kindly place. The sea has no conscience.

When are you going to learn to read charts? learn to do coastal piloting? What do you know about the effects of ocean depths on waves? Or wind on waves, for that matter? Did you understand it from the previous post that the most dangerous bits of water are where the hard bits are, and underwater structures play a part in that, too. While we're at it, what do you know about weather forecasting and how weather affects your sailing plans?

Honestly, I think the best advice I can give you is to put the boat on a trailer, ship it to the Potomac, and then take your time learning to sail it. Some damage will occur on the road trip--it always does--but at least the boat and you will survive in time to learn to sail well, have a better understanding of what is involved in a voyage of the nature you propose, and perhaps be able to undertake it as well. What you propose is neither inexpensive nor like driving an SUV across country.

Recommended reading: storm management Coles and Pardey, articles by Beth and/or Evan Starzinger about everything.

I am sorry not to be all rah! rah! in favor of your proposal, but if what you have written is correct, you lack the experience to reasonably evaluate what you wish to do, which is why people are on at you about taking experienced crew.

Ann
Old 26-06-2013, 17:34   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Don't let anyone criticize you for your choices and your lack of experience. Even the best and most competent of professionals started out with no knowledge.
I do recommend a very basic sailing class just to get you started on proper sail trim and some safety and navigation skills. That's always a good idea. Then there are more courses available if you want them or you can start going out on your own or with a knowledgeable friend and start the experiences rolling.
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 26-06-2013, 17:55   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nice post, Skipper John.

Tags
skipper

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: