Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2010, 16:20   #1

New Sailor - Home Base Will Be North Carolina

Hello

I just want to say hello to members of this website. I have asked a few questions and it was wonderful to get a reply. I bought a C&C 24' in June, 2010. The boat is in storage in NJ and I hope to sail it down to my home in North Carolina later this summer. I am not an experienced sailor but I plan on taking some lessons before I start the trip. So far I have been reading everything I can get my hands on from the local library on sailing. There is a lot of important information but I have been living on the coast for my entire life. I have had many experiences on the water in power and sailboats. Many people might say I am crazy to make such a trip with so little actual sailing experience on my new boat. Maybe I can get some help here on the most dangerous things to take into consideration making a sailing trip from NJ to Morehead City NC. Is there any reason a person cannot sail the ocean from the Chesapeak down past the Outerbanks to Morehead City? Is it really that treacherous? How about the trip from Delaware Bay to the Chesapeak? There is a waterway from the upper part of the the Delaware Bay to the Chesapeak. Why would someone take this route rather than sailing down the coast? I definately have many questions for anyone willing to listen.
Sailaway Kid
Sailaway Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 18:58   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
A C&C 24 is a fine vessel, but I'm not sure I would want to take it off-shore around Cape Hatteras. One of the problems on the outside is that there are few quick places to duck into if weather deteriorates. The ICW would be a nice experience in a small boat, through Virginia and NC down to Morehead City.

Delaware Bay can be challenging, but if you're not in a hurry and can pick your weather window, it's do-able.

My advice is to get to know the boat, make sure it's equipped properly and get in as much experience as you can before you leave.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 15:51   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
In addition to what Dennis just said you might also find an experienced crewmember that wants to make the trip.
regards,
Old 05-07-2010, 19:22   #4

Has anyone sailed around Hatteras? I know I heard a lot of ships have gone down due to the weather. There are a lot of sailboats in the Ocracoke Island Harbor. They must have sailed there from somewhere! It is a 2.5 hour trip by ferry from Cedar Island to Ocracoke Island. The sound is pretty big. I have only been on the boat once when the weather was really rough. The ferry can't run on seas bigger than 4 feet. It is probably a little out of my experience level since you have to sail without land in sight for most of the trip.

I really hope to find someone to sail with me. It would make it a better trip being able to have someone else there.

Sailaway Kid
Sailaway Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 20:26   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
You certainly can sail around Hatteras, but you do need to watch the weather.

That said, with your level of experience, you probably should stick to the inside, learn some things, and enjoy the trip. Again, weather permitting, you could go down the sounds by Roanoke Island. Your mast might be short enough to go west of Roanoke I, and save some miles.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina