Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-10-2009, 14:53   #1

New Sailing Club

I just want to announce the official opening of the first unofficial Kurdish Sailing Club, Sulaimani Branch. Northern Iraq.

Membership is free and open to all. We don't have a clubhouse as yet but we do have a bar. We don't have any boats at the moment but we're working on that. Luckily the tides out most of the time down in Basra, so mooring's not a real issue, although we do have a post to tie your donkey to. (Military members please park the Humbies well out of sight and check weapons at the bar)

I'm busy putting together a committee, I shall offer my own services as Commodore, Vice Commodore, Bosun, Secretary, Sailing Officer and Entertainments / Bar / and Property Member, but I'm always on the lookout for volunteers.

Club Projects:

1. Save up a sailing kitty, the sooner to get the hell out of here.
2. Stay sane by looking for my dream boat to live on in 2 years time.
3. Chat with sailing folk online to keep up with the real world events.

Safe Sailing

Capt. Gauguin

Gauguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 15:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Captain,
Thanks for serving. Check for a sample set of by-laws and some of our newsletters.
It appears that you have a great anchorage with all that sand. Would be easy to sink moorings.
Kind regards,

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 13:37   #3

Capt. Gaugain:

I have a friend in Balad. I'll forward this to him.
ashland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 21:12   #4

Balad you say, I believe that's a good day's sailing South West of Suli. But, it be near Baghdad, and there be some mighty fierce pirates in those waters. Saddam the Sailor, himself was last seen hanging around those parts. No, I don't sail South much, nor East, cos those are Iranian waters, lost three shipmates over that way this year and they still haven't returned. Them Iranians are getting wealthier and wealthier, and as everyone knows there's nothing more dangerous than enriched Iranians. No, I don't sail East. Can't sail North nether, into Turkish waters. Lovely people the Turks, warm and welcoming but if I sail in, I can't sail out again. West now, I can sail West, but between Suli and the Syrian waters there be the Kurdish Doldrums and deep inside you'll find the islands of Kirkuk and Mosul, full of reefs and hidden dangers. So, I stays in Suli waters (Heineken mainly) biding me time, hoping for a change of wind and calm seas.
Gauguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:11   #5

Been sending my friend my sailing magazines. He plans on sailing in the BVIs when he leaves Iraq.

Stay safe over there and thank you for your service.

ashland is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: