Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2014, 10:01   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
New Norfolk VA Sailor

Hey all, I've been a SAILOR in the Navy now for over 15 years but don't really now how to sail. So to change that I purchase a Catalina 30 tall rig late last year.

I've been out on the Chesapeake a few times (single handed) and so far so good! However, I'd like to start trying out flying a gennaker that came with the boat but don't have a sail mate. In the meantime I guess I'll keep working on honing my skills on sail trimming and docking.

Any advice on sail trimming or boat maintenance will be greatly appreciated.

Maro

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:10   #2

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: New Norfolk VA Sailor

Welcome maro. Do a search for what you'd like to know- there's probably at least 10 posts for every questions. Enjoy!!!
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:01   #3

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service.
Old 22-08-2014, 11:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

When I was stationed at NAS Norfolk, lived aboard my boat at the old rescue boat marina off the N/S runway. Walked to the hangar and used the facilities to shower and store uniforms. Worked great till they issued me a wife. Haven't been back in decades but wonder how things have changed over the years.

If you are single handing, the first thing you need is a self steering vane or auto pilot. The relatively cheap wheel pilots will work if not too much force required to steer. If you have a tiller, a self steering vane would probably work great, is totally reliable and doesn't eat electrons. Search Craig's list or Ebay to find them used. Unlike electronics, the marine environment doesn't kill them. When you say gennaker, assume it's a reacher/drifter or asym. spinnaker. If you can fit an ATN snuffing sleeve, they are very easy to set and retrieve. Will definitely need someone or something on the tiller while you are setting the sail.

Enjoy the Chesapeake, it's a great place to sail and explore except for those 100/100 temp/humidity in the middle of summer. Very long sailing season, actually year around if you are the hardy sort.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:21   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service and I think you've chosen a good boat. I had about 8 years in the Navy on several ships before learning to sail. I took an MWR basic sailing class and never regretted it. It teaches you sail trim and safety issues which you may not pick up on your own. Also I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!" as a basic sail manual.
I know you're not a basic sailor but if you can spend the time it'll be a good thing to do. Also, local clubs are a good place to pick up some crewmembers. I sailed out of Little Creek a couple of times with Navy friends back in the 80s and there was a club there at Norfolk I sailed out of. For more advanced training there was the U. S. Naval Sailing Association out of Annapolis. They might even have a training site there in Norfolk.
Anyway, it's good to have you here and I wish you best of luck. Stay safe.
kind regards,
Old 22-08-2014, 21:16   #6

Boat: Dream

If you need a crew member, let me know. I'm based in Norfolk also, but without a boat currently. Welcome to the forum...
Andre L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 00:52   #7

Welcome Maro. Retired Engineman here. I just bought a boat this week. She slipped over at Scott's Creek in Portsmouth. I could help you with just about anything from the main deck and bellow. I am still new to sails and rigging.

It would be really nice to meet you and USMC if you guys ever want to meet up for a coffee or the like.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 02:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, maro.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 09:22   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Thanks all! Roverhi' the marina is now located across from the golf course and now has a shower and the rest of the works. USMCsince1993, it would be nice to have someone to sail with, let me know when u can go; I work weird shift (aviation) and old snipe, coffee would be nice.

Omar

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
maro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail