Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 06:01   #1

New Members from Tampa Florida

We are just beginning the sailing adventure. It is something my husband and I have always wanted to do but never took the leap. David is former coast guard and I grew up in Key West on the water and boats my whole life.

We planned on waiting till the kids were older but don't want to wait anymore. We have three kids age 11,9 and 7.

We are currently searching for the perfect boat and reading everything we can. We plan on taking a few sailing classes and putting the kids into a local sailing program.

Thank you for this amazing forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
JenniferDavidGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: New Members from Tampa Florida

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!

And especially welcome being from the Tampa Bay area, where, as a Canadian, I am only allowed to stay for 6 months of the year. Of course that means I miss all that 95 degree weather with 95% humidity, afternoon thunderstorms that come like clockwork and instead revel in 80 degree weather with 30% humidity back here in the prairies.

What a great sailing area, but as your husband would know, has lots of skinny water. There is a great sailing infrastructure in the area, including manufacturers and suppliers.

What price range of boat are you looking for? Are you strictly day sailing, or are you planning longer, multi-day trips? It will influence what size/accommodations/equipment is more ideal.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jennifer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Jennifer, and Welcome Aboard CF!

Taking kids on a cruise would be GREAT. I bet it will be a GRAND adventure for all of you and the stuff of many wonderful memories.

Here are a few tips I like to share with newcomers to this forum, who have children:

A Few of my Favorite Tips for New Members to this Forum Who Have Kids:

There are also some "social groups" that are more focused on special interests, and as I saw, they can be fun for their members. I am not a member of those groups, but you should be able to find them if you do some exploring of the forum website, look for "groups."

Here are two you might find interesting:

Mermaids Group
It is for women sailors and boat owners. It has 206 members. Cruisers & Sailing Forums - ~~Mermaids Group~~

Cruising with Kids Group (58 members)
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruising with Kids

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Have fun during your boat search.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:53   #5

Thanks for the reply. We actually have friends that stay with us for 6 months out of the year from Quebec and we are currently hosting a student from there for the summer.

We are not sure on price range yet. Hoping to stay under $20,000. But more for the right fit. We want to start with day sailing but be able to do weekend and longer trips once we are more comfortable.

JenniferDavidGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferDavidGA View Post
Thanks for the reply. We actually have friends that stay with us for 6 months out of the year from Quebec and we are currently hosting a student from there for the summer.

We are not sure on price range yet. Hoping to stay under $20,000. But more for the right fit. We want to start with day sailing but be able to do weekend and longer trips once we are more comfortable.

Great, so y'all know aboot us Canadians then, eh?

You may want to try the Boats for Sale section here, as there is a good selection from our members. Craigslist of course is an option (I found my boat in Miami that way), and finally, brokers, although generally you will find in the price range you are looking at, as I was, the selection there is minimal.

http://www.yachtworld.com/ is the go to place for broker's ads.

Good luck, and we may run into you some time next year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
florida, member, new member