Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06   #1

Boat: Transworld 40' aft cabin
New Member on Board

Hello!

New to cruising and planning on moving aboard by June!
2 years ago my husband and I relocated from East coast to West coast to be near 2 daughters and 2 grandbabies (good move!). It did not take long before we realized that we were living in one of the most beautiful locations for boating - Puget Sound and the Northwest. After months of exploration we have purchased our boat and have it at a wonderful marina! So much more to learn and enjoying this new adventure! We are taking courses! Have taken everything left by previous owners off of the boat that is not of use....and I thought there would not be alot of storage! And it is possible to be a packrat on a boat!!

Now exploring that interesting topic of marine heads! Anyone out there who still finds this topic interesting or who has really figured this out? Would love to hear from you!
Priority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:20   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Priority, Welcome ! You will find that heads are a necessary evil. There are stories on this board about clogs and smells. Enjoy reading about the topic.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:25   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Getting a bullet proof head is the secret. Along with good venting, and that obstacle will be overcome......WELCOME........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome Priority.
What boat did you get?
YES plenty of us are interested in heads…we have had some discussions in previous threads that you can review by using the Google search tool.
And I’m sure there is plenty more to be said.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:50   #5

Boat: Beneteau, Idylle 15.50, & 51' - Sea Otter
Send a message via ICQ to Sea Otter Send a message via Skype™ to Sea Otter
Hi Priority,

When we started to rebuild our boat in 1999 (finished 2005) the planning of our heads were a major question. Nobody talks a lot about how to build a head that is practical and doesn't smell. We talked with a lot of 'expertise' during the planning stage but the best advice came from Peggy Hall 'The Headmistress'.

The main thing (contrary to what a lot of people say) is to have a very good ventilation INTO the black water tanks. We ended up with TWO 20mm hoses at the top and each end of our tanks and with that ventilation the 'good' bacteria is developing, the kind that takes care of all faul smell and other unpleasanties. During our three years onboard now, we have never had a bad smell from our heads or tanks. OK, we are cheating a bit, because we do use fresh water to flush as well. We do not have any salt water inside the boat except for engine and 'genny' cooling.

Anyway, I do recommend to follow Peggy's discussion board on the links at the end of her presentation.

Cheers,

Chris on Sea Otter

Peggie Hall is nationally recognized in the boating industry as one of the few experts in marine sanitation, and is often referred to as “the Head Mistress.” As a member of ABYC, she was a member of a sanitation project technical committee formed to establish a standard for sanitation equipment and installation onboard from its inception in 1991 through 1996. She has written a number of articles for major boating magazines, is often asked to speak at conferences, conduct seminars for various organizations and at major boat shows, and is a consultant to a number of state agencies. She also hosts plumbing and sanitation forums on several internet boating sites and is the author of the only book devoted entirely to marine sanitation systems and other odor issues.

The Head Mistress - SailboatOwners.com
Get Rid of Boat Odors
Sea Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00   #6

Hi Chris on Sea Otter!

Another sea otter fan...one of my favorite little critters!

Thanks for the info.

Another question. What kind of head did you decide on? We now have manual pumps and redoing our boat for livingaboard trying to decide the merits of upgrading or just learning the right "procedures for success".

Priority in Seattle WA.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Priority.

Please don't be shy - tell us more about your boat, yourselves (& grandkids) and your plans.

As noted, we’ve had plenty of previous discussions on the topic of heads, plumbing, and sewerage. Of course, this doesn't preclude your asking (or re-asking) new questions; but you can see what's been discussed byusing the Google Custom “CF” Search:
Here ➥ http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...%3A2lb6ozabif0

In addition to Peggy Hall’s excellent book, here’s a couple of free resources:

Marine Sanitation: Fact vs Folklore ~ by Peggy Hall
Note: Peggy says this document is woefully out of date.
the boatbuilding.community - Marine Sanitation: Fact vs. Folklore

Marine Sanitation Devices ~ by Mark Parker
Good Old Boat - Marine Sanitation Devices article

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 13:06   #8

Thank you GordMay!

I am very excited about the boat we have bought! I am currently making it mine by redecorating. Ripped the old wallpaper off the galley walls and repapering...that probably comes as surprise to many. Then I took off the mirror above the dinette area...I don't know many people who like to watch themselves eat!! We have owned 13 houses in 34 years, many we remodeled and updated. Moved around the East coast. PA. N.J. FL. First making the boat a home and then exploring cruising!
So I don't leave you with the impression that it's all about decorating. Oh so foo foo!
Boating is a new experience. Reading everything and taking classes through The Squadron. I have a friend who has her Master Pilot License. Initially acquired it to spite her ex. She has been a great resource. Thinking of pursuing license too! Never thought I would be interesting in learning about diesel engines and the electrical system of boats.

As a school based Speech Therapist I have the joy of having the summer off.
Looking forward to living the first summer on the boat!

OK so more about you!
Old 07-12-2009, 13:10   #9

Scallywag.

See you are from St Augustine. Lived in Jacksonville for 2 years, visited St Aug often and have brother-in-law and my inlaws live in assisted facility. Do you cruise the ICW?

Curious, how do you find the humidity and heat on boat?? Now living in Seattle WA humidity is not an issue. Downside, very cold water!! Hoping never to have the first hand experienc of going in!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:21   #10

Boat: Beneteau, Idylle 15.50, & 51' - Sea Otter
Send a message via ICQ to Sea Otter Send a message via Skype™ to Sea Otter
We finally installed the Lavac seats and we use them with macerator pumps not too far from the seat, as they are better in pressure mode than suction mode. We have backups in the form of Henderson manual membrane pumps. This combination has worked for us ever since we moved onboard full time in 2005.

Chris
Sea Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:34   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Heads, Dunnys, Thunder Boxes, whatever you call them they are our favorite subject here!!! So welcome to Cruisers Forum.

I go the Jabsco manual head thats at Westmarine on SALE for just US$175
Chuck out the offending dunny that someone elses bum has been on and get yourself a brand new non-stinky commode! at the same time change over the sanitary tubes that conect the outflow. They are NEVER on special and diabolicaly expensive!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/331619/377%20710/0/jabsco%20head/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=jabsco head&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=jabsco head&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=209&c lassNum=715

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 20:41   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
You truly are in a wonderful place to cruise. Congratulations on the boat.
kind regards,
Old 08-12-2009, 20:53   #13

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Heads, Dunnys, Thunder Boxes, whatever you call them they are our favorite subject here!!! So welcome to Cruisers Forum.

I go the Jabsco manual head thats at Westmarine on SALE for just US$175
Chuck out the offending dunny that someone elses bum has been on and get yourself a brand new non-stinky commode! at the same time change over the sanitary tubes that conect the outflow. They are NEVER on special and diabolicaly expensive!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/331619/377%20710/0/jabsco%20head/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=jabsco head&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=jabsco head&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=209&c lassNum=715

Mark
Welcome aboard...and I second Marks sentiment...and will add dont bother with a rebuild kit...there 70 bucks and mine didnt fix the problum...they are throw away dunnys..just buy a new one each time and be done with it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine head