Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 08:44   #1

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
new member - old sailer

Greetings! First, a confession. I have lurked here for several years reading, absorbing and reading some more. I have reached a point in my sailing life where I am likely to need more and must ask specific questions as a result.

I have been sailing for more than 50 years. I grew sailing with my family. In 1962, my parents bought a Pearson Triton and all 6 of us cruised the Great Lakes on her for many years. In fact, my wife and I raised our son on the same boat - sailing on her to this day.

Many years ago (I will not say how many) I bought a decrepit wooden sailboat - a 47' auxiliary ketch designed and built by John Alden (Hull 777A). Played around with her for years until our son urged me to get serious. He did so because he wanted to learn the skills involved.

I had always wanted to finish her and live aboard upon retirement. That is the current plan/hope. The basic construction issues I have well in hand - I have discovered a craftsman/artist who taught my son and me and will be there thru the reconstruction. It's the systems, rigging, sails, motor, etc. That's where I need the help. So much I have learned just by reading here but will become more involved in the discussions as I seek more specific info. I will try to be more brief than I have been here.
crazyoldboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54   #2

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Re: new member - old sailer

welcome! This is a great place to ask questions and learn about how to rebuild your boat. I'm doing the same and have found the information here to be most valuable.

Cheers
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Fantastic to have you here at CF with us!

I'm not sure who is going to be more enthusiastic about getting your baby fitted... You or us... Ask away friend!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Greetings and condolences for having an old boat that you want to save. We promise not to send you to the nuthouse, but console you in your illness.
Seems a lot of us have the same disease...☺
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:39   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 10-04-2014, 09:46   #6

Yes, it is a disease - have had it for years. What is particularly gratifying for me is that my wife is supportive and my son is interested. He spent a year working on the boat - living in NE Wisconsin where the boat is. I would drive up on weekends and spend "vacations" up there working on the project. It was the best year of my life. He has moved on to another project - currently in training with the USMC. My wife and I want to finish the boat and move aboard. We have some experience in that area having lived aboard the Triton for short periods. This is a big step for us. Having this resource with all these good folks nearby, as it where, is a huge benefit, IMO. Thanks for the warm greetings!
crazyoldboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:38   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Welcome to the forum!!
+1!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:49   #8

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Yes, it is a disease - have had it for years. What is particularly gratifying for me is that my wife is supportive and my son is interested. He spent a year working on the boat - living in NE Wisconsin where the boat is. I would drive up on weekends and spend "vacations" up there working on the project. It was the best year of my life. He has moved on to another project - currently in training with the USMC. My wife and I want to finish the boat and move aboard. We have some experience in that area having lived aboard the Triton for short periods. This is a big step for us. Having this resource with all these good folks nearby, as it where, is a huge benefit, IMO. Thanks for the warm greetings!

Welcome and give your son a thank you for his service from me.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 16:16   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Alden was a great designer.
Old 21-06-2014, 18:45   #10

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Welcome aboard. One thing you won't learn here is how to spell, 'winch'.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 07:14   #11

Alden liked his boats stout and fast. Like the old Gloucester fishing schooners he patterned many of his designs after. I just love the old designs - handsome and utilitarian. The ketch rig has been suggested as the best for cruising altho the extra rigging adds to costs. Everything is a compromise, right?
Old 23-06-2014, 07:19   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Drop some pictures on us once in a while so we can see how you're doing.

Remember: when you own a boat - you are never out of work

That goes double (or triple) when it is a wooden boat (sigh)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 08:22   #13

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum, I too suffer from old boat syndrome. I have the advanced form, which kept me from buying an old wood boat this time, but I have owned several in the past. As far as I know there is no cure. We do offer support here. Also, please tell your son to be careful out there, there be bears in them woods. Do thank him for his service to our country.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:53   #14

Thanks to all for the support. Our Marine is thoroughly enjoying himself (still in training) - working very hard and playing hard, too. His parents are more worried than he is - typical of young folk.

It is a fatal disease and, yes, there is no cure. The project is quiet right now while we figure out how to raise the funds needed to finish her. I have oodles of pictures and may well start a thread to show off what we have done so far. We have also been gathering info on her history and hope to share that as well. A person should do one really crazy and stupid thing in life - I have found my insanity. The Admiral appreciates the project as it means she knows where I am at all times - stuck in a shop without windows and nowhere near any wenches.

Seriously, that my wife is supportive of the restoration and the eventual cruise once the boat is completed has more meaning for me than I can express. I am the lead singer in a blues/rock band (garage type) and she is my official, sanctioned, groupie. To have a groupie AND a wench is a privilege accorded to few people. I am truly blessed.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:08   #15

Boat: Skookum 53'

I envy you, your garage band. I can play, but have been working offshore too much to form any kind of band. Though the taxi driver that brings me from the airport says he plays bass, so maybe we can get something going on my next time off. Congrats on having a band, groupie, and a wench, you are truly blessed.

Tags
member, new member, sail