Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 13:57   #1

New Member Obsessively Planning a Launch in Two Years

Hi I am Erin- my husband Ed and I are 2 years away from launching our dream to sail the world.

We are in Chicago, IL now and have sailed our Catalina 30 ft 1985 tall rig for 16 years around Lake Michigan and have become reasonably accomplished sailors (ask Ted Turner about sailing the "lake").

We are carefully plotting the course to our new life on the bluewater boat of our dreams- maybe a Valiant 42 that will be found hopefully in about 1 year when the house is sold.

We will scan the forum for valuable information and advise- but for now we are most interested in learning if our plans make any sense. I am a nurse (actually a Certified Nurse Midwife) and my husband is a carpenter who plans to go to The Landing in Kennebunkport Maine next year for the 10 month Marine Systems degree (Engine, electronics, rigging, fiberglass). His plan for the degree is to make sure we are self sufficient while cruising, as well as developing a trade that will allow for available work in ports. We are hoping that we can make a reasonable living while cruising with these two professions- possible enough not only to live on but to bank to buy the "farm" when we are done cruising in a few years.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Erin's Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 17:01   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Hi and welcome! Sounds like an exciting plan. I am sure your husband will be able to transport his skills, but I wonder if your skills, while highly portable and needed in virtually every corner of the globe, will the certification licensing issue be a problem as you travel from one state to another, or one country for that matter?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 17:45   #3

In my profession there are a number of agencies that specialize in locum tenens (part time) positions. The agency handles all the licensure, insurance etc... as well as finding the positions. If the agency is able to place you in another country they are also able to handle the visa problem. I was more concerned about my husband finding work.
Old 18-08-2010, 18:19   #4

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Welcome Erin and Ed! I am looking forward to hearing about your progress as you embark on your new adventure.
Old 18-08-2010, 23:10   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin's Ripple View Post
sailed our Catalina 30 ft 1985 tall rig for 16 years around Lake Michigan and have become reasonably accomplished sailors (ask Ted Turner about sailing the "lake").
Was it Ted Turner (or some other old duffer) who said "You don't know the Lakes till you've sailed the Macinac race 40 times"?

I sailed out of Muskegon taking a boat to Novia Scottia ages ago. It was a beautiful area

Welcome aboard

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 05:30   #6

IT was probably someone from the "Island Goats Society". You can be inducted into the Chicago Yacht Club exclusive society if...
The Minimum Qualifications for an Island Goat...
Someone who has Endured over 60 days Racing the Mac;

Someone who has Raced at least 8,325 miles from Chicago to Mackinac Island;
Someone who has Survived sailing through 50-100 Thunderstorms;
Someone who has Suffered through about 250 On and Off Watch Changes and
Someone who has Persisted through at least 25 Summers...
Old 19-08-2010, 10:02   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Someone who has Persisted through at least 25 Summers...

What? You get summer????????????????????

I thought all you guys sail on boats with ice sakes and then went fishing in the out-house with the hole in the floor.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:33   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
In my profession there are a number of agencies that specialize in locum tenens (part time) positions. The agency handles all the licensure, insurance etc... as well as finding the positions. If the agency is able to place you in another country they are also able to handle the visa problem. I was more concerned about my husband finding work.
Well cool! That makes it easyier for you.

Just thinking about your husband. He might want to add refrigeration to his list of acquired skills. I have read that it's one that is in huge demand, with short supply and that it's possible to carry a reasonable supply of small common spare parts to have on hand for repairs.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 08:40   #9

This is the stated syllabus for the Marine Systems degree from The Landing School-

Syllabus
The following modules are taught through lecture and lab work as part of the Marine Systems Program:

• Shop methods and materials
Fiberglass repairs
Propulsion
• DC electrical
Plumbing, pumps and seacocks
• Marine electronics
• Mechanical special topics
• AC electrical
Refrigeration
It's kindof expensive as a degree and will take 10 months- but we are hoping that the payoff will be there as we cruise.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:00   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I would say you're well on your way to a well thought out adventure. Nursing professionals are in great demand almost anywhere and The Landings has a great reputation for putting out top shelf graduates. You'll most likely find open hands, great smiles, and a few dollars to fatten the cruising kitty on your travels.

And having done the 'Mac' and 'lake' have given you a great leg up on sailing.

Welcome to the site.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:28   #11

I would love to claim a Mac race under my belt- but have to much respect for the sailors who do the race to be a pretender! I was just posting the Island Goat qualifications as info for those who might not know about Lake Michigan sailing rigors- in NO WAY do I qualify!!

I am really a light cruiser of Lake Michigan- We have spent many long crossings, but then just harbor hop. Though the 16 years have tested our sailing skills in lots of weather conditions.

Part of living in Maine for the 10 months of Ed's Landing program will be learning how to deal with tides and currents and perfecting our ocean skills.

The first cruise will likely be the intercostal waterway- to again gain experience.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:24   #12

16 years of sailing and you're getting a Valiant 42. You're set! Just dodge the whales and containers.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 13:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
You might think going a bit less rich in your cruising boat unless a Valiant 42 isn't a stretch on your budget. There are a ton of boats out there at way less money that will do what you want to do. You could probably cruise for 5 years on the money saved.

Other than that, you could probably earn enough with your skills to cruise indefinitely.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 13:54   #14

You are quite correct- there are so many other boats we could make work. We have a few other boats that we may be interested in- many of the Robert Perry designs are fantastic. Others like the Hans Christian, Bristol, as well as your Pearson could be a fit as well.

Before a real check has to be written- the Valiant is the "dream boat" right now-
Old 21-08-2010, 23:26   #15

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Bob Perry has a rendezvous coming up soon and is very accessible, so if you ever have an excuse to go to the PNW you could have fun with those folks.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote