Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 21:48   #1

Question New Member - Need Help in Greece

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
I'm planning on bareboating in Greece next June, along with my wife and two other couples. I've got years of experience, though I've never sailed in the Med(though I did take a course in Med mooring!). My wife has some experience and the other two couples, little to none. Because of this, I've concluded that I should sail in either the Ionic Islands or the Saronic Gulf. I'm told that the sailing in both areas is equally easy and that the Ionic might be slightly less crowded. Amenities and tavernas are important for the non-sailors. Does anyone have an opinion about the advantages of one over the other?
many thanks
badinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 22:08   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I think the Ionic islands will have everything except may be enough wind. But that might be an advantage for the non-sailors in the group ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
first and foremost if you are going to bare boat charter in Greece there must be min of two people with some form of qualifications ie ASA103/104 or RYA day skipper/ compentant crew or both have a ICC ( 1 person holds a day skipper the other holds compenant crew ) If you are looking for a leisurely sail then the Ionians is the place to start and the saronic is also very good and has plenty of land mass to shelter you from the meltmi wind , so you must decide where you want to charter from and dont forget when doing a seven day charter you really only get five days sailing due to way the charter companys operate you arive on day one but they don't release the yacht to you untill 17.00 hrs then they say you cant sail until next day and then you must have yacht back by at least 18.00 on day six so you can check on day seven at 09.00 if from athens then you would likely want to head for aegina . from alimos to agenia is approx 18nm from there you can go a short hop to agistri meathena poros septese idra and there are plenty of creature comforts on these Islands
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Matey,

With the explantion you've given, I'd go to the Saronic.

We cruised both groups of islands in the summer of 2007 so if you want some locations / pictures go check our blog for around July / August 07.

Enjoy.

JOHN
Old 07-09-2009, 17:09   #5

Thanks John

John,

Thanks for your response(and love your blog!). Question:Is the Med mooring in the Saronic in late June impossibly crowded?
badinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:13   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
BTW, whats all the concern about med mooring and courses in med mooring. is this a US problem. back in tie up the stern, take the slime line and tie of the bow. similar with anchor, dont worry abour scew-ups, (a) theres lot of help , especially if your in a charter boat!!(b) you should see the other guys foulups!!.
for qualifications usually one ICC is all thats required. and you can optionally self-declare your experience if your country doesnt require compulsory certs. (ultimately the charter company decides)
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece