Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 16:40   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
New member from Winchester CA (San Diego ish)

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking here for a few months, just reading stuff about sail boats, maintenance, live boards, looking for crew (where I have actually found my captain who is teaching me how to sail) and other parts of this website. I just have to say, this website is huge and has tons of knowledge and I love spending my days on here just reading articles on boat maintenance, and people looking to do the same dream that I wish to do one day.

A little bit about me, I am 25 years old, going to school for a job in the medical field. I have been looking (more just researching on craigslist and yacht world) for boats for a live aboard which is my altemut dream. Growing up in southern California I have always loved the beach and the ocean, I find that when I am stressed, depressed or just not happy with life, I can go to the beach, and just the waves, and the birds relax me. I have always been drawn to the ocean, but it wasn't until about six months ago that I came to realize how much I depend on it to make me happy. I always planned on living a simple life, was actually looking into buying a small ranch house in Utah with 5 acres or so and living off the grid growing my own veggies, and raising some chickens and such. But then one day I saw a video I am sure you have all seen it, "Twenty Eight Feet- Life on a Little Wooden Boat" <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/syJXrbWU1Aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is the video that really made me look into sailing. I just love how simple his life is, and how he is actually part of the boat, and also the ocean. So that is my story and what brought me here.

I am still learning about boats. I thought I knew what a sloop and a ketch where until I saw a boat that had both sails that a sloop and a ketch would have. I have read "The essentials of Living Aboard a Boat", and today just bought "The sailors Hand Book, The Essential Sailing Manual" and "Your first Sailboat" and I still have a ton to learn since I have only been sailing once I do know though, I want a boat in the 28' to 35' max range. I will be sailing by myself. I do want to get my open water scuba diving cert. to be able to scuba dive of course, and also help clean up the bottom of the boat. I have found a few that I really liked, but I am still in the saving stages at this point, so I have to hold off on buying a boat for a year unless someone is willing to take payments.

My dream of course is to go sail the world, who doesn't have that dream? But when I buy my boat, weather it be in California, or Florida(might move there in a year to live/buy my boat) I will still be working for the next 5 years while I fix her up, make her just right for me, and sailing across the ocean. I wanted full keel, but some guys have said that a keel fin will work too which I am sure would but again research will come into play. I plan on (when I do shove off I do get a $836 check a month for life) I will be sailing the Florida Keys/Caribbean/Central and South America just seeing the different islands, and learning the different cultures. I then would love to go sail the Atlantic Ocean, into the Mediterranean and sail there for a few years visiting the different countries, culture. I don't really want to do the tourist thing, I rather just hope off my boat, and just go see some places have a meal maybe at a little small restaurant, they are always the best, and then that would be it. I would love to go visit the country side of Italy and visit Ireland though for sure. But from there back to the Caribbean, for another few years then off to the Pacific though the panama canal, which I have heard is expensive. Then hitting the islands to Hawaii then off to New Zealand where maybe I will retire and just live it out there, or go to Asia. I haven't thought that far, because that is decades away.

I know that was a lot of information, I am taking the right steps I assure you. I have been saving money for my boat, taking lessons, joining a Sailing Squadron, to learn about marine electrical and diesel maintenance, and everything else. I am not trying to rush into this even though it sounds like I am.

Anyways I look forward to learning from you guys, and can't wait to know more about sailboats!
sailinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 18:11   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: New member from Winchester CA (San Diego ish)

Welcome to the forum sailinglife
Old 05-07-2015, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailinglife.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Welcome to forum
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member, san diego, winch