Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2008, 03:38   #1

New Member from Norway's West Coast

New member from Bergen, the Fjord Capital of Norway, saying hi. I've been messing around in boats for as long as I can remember, until studies, work and all that stuff got hold of me and I had an unfortunate ten year hiatus from boating. Well, I finally managed to put an end to that last year, when I managed to convince SWMBO that we really needed to get a boat.

So now I'm the content owner of an old Swede, a Maxi 84, built in 1979. OK, she may not be the prettiest thing out there, she ain't going nowhere fast in light airs but feels safe and sturdy in a good blow, and with five berths she sleeps our entire family. She'll do for a few more years, while the kids are still so small that they don't mind the somewhat cramped conditions.

So, anyways, if there's anything you're wondering about regarding cruising our wonderful fjord contry, I'll be more than happy to assist.

PS: Bring an umbrella

Cheers,
Øyvind
Oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 04:57   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Oyvind,
Welcome aboard. From the educational movies I have seen, your country is beautiful. One of my dreams is to sail the waters of Norway. I am afraid the cold temperatures in the summer would not be to my liking. Pleasant sailing. My children still remember the 6 meter boat we ate and slept on when they were under 6 yars of age.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 07:24   #3

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
hei Øyvind,

Welcome to the forum! I am heading to Norway at the end of August and again at the end of October for a training courses. I am a marine surveyor with DNV. I plan on taking an extra week off and doing some travelling around your beautiful country. During this week I will hopefully be able to get in some nice sailing. Do you know if there is anywhere that rents small boats for sailing in the fjords? I can't wait for August 13 to arrive!!
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 08:08   #4

Boat: searunner 31
Greetings Øyvind,

Hope the Forums are good for you.

Go well, Kit.
cats..paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 09:16   #5

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Welcome Onboard... (hvordan har du det)

I am sure that you will find the forum very helpful and I am equally sure many members will be asking questions regarding the wonderful sailing possibilities in Norway.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 13:41   #6
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
i was borned in Newfounland. We have Fjords too.

My background supposedly has..........

well, who cares?

Welcome to the forum and do you have pics of the awesome boat? I'd LOVE to see them! Dreams are all I have right now but oh I so love other peoples'!!!!

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 15:52   #7

Hank,
It depends on how you define small, but the boat rental companies around here usually start at 40', and are quite expensive to rent. You'd probably have better luck studying the classifieds at this site: FINN båt - Norges ledende båtmarked. Søk etter båter, båtmotorer og båtutstyr. Caveat: It's in Norwegian only

Regarding sailing in the great fjords in western Norway, which is something a lot of visitors seem to want to do: Norwegians sailors don't do it, and for a couple of good reasons. First of all, they're terribly boring to navigate unless you're in a in a quite fast boat. In a sailboat, you would continue on the same course for hours on end. Secondly, there's not necessarily a lot of wind there, and if there is then it tends to be way too much. And last but not least, they can be quite dangerous to a sailboat, and even to a motor cruiser. The reason for this is a natural phenomena known as fallwinds. These are pockets of cold air that start from the mountains, some 3000-4000 feet up, and rush down towards the fjord, generating very high localized winds. These winds can strike without warning on the even the brightest and warmest days, but are even more common in windy conditions. although they are a particular danger to sailboats, even larger vessels such as harbor tugs have been capsized and sunk by these winds. If you are sailing on the great fjords, it is absolutely imperative that you are on the constant lookout for any disturbances on the water, and are ready to instantly release the sheets at any time. Gennakers and spinnakers are obviously a BIG no-no on the fjords.

By all means, the great fjords are marvellous in every other aspect, just not for sailing. Also note that this only applies to fjords that are surrounded by high mountains, i.e. western Norway. The Oslo Fjord and the lesser fjords in eastern and southern Norway are surrounded by lower hills, are perfectly safe and wonderful, albeit more crowded, cruising grounds.

Now, the main reason why we don't sail the fjords is that we don't have to, we have the world's most wonderful cruising grounds all along the coast, the "skjærgård" - "skjær" meaning skerry and "gård" meaning yard, farm or garden. There are literally tens of thousands of small and large islands, sounds, coves, inlets, beaches and inland waterways to discover. You can cruise for days along the coast without ever having to venture into the open sea, and all the while you pass old farms, fishermen's cabins, villages and summer houses along your way, so there's always something to see. There are countless deep, well protected natural harbors that you can have all by yourself - at least if you're travelling outside the vacation month of July. The downside? It can be cold and wet, but that makes it all the much better when the sun breaks out
Oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 17:28   #8

Welcome, Øyvind. I had the opportunity to see Oslo, Trondheim (in the dead of night) and Bodo years ago. Beautiful country! Congratulations on the boat and enjoy the forums!

Matt
AVSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 22:26   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Oyvind,
Welcome aboard! You've already given me a lesson on why I shouldn't wand to sail the western fjords. Thanks so much. I've learned something new today.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 00:45   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
G'day Oyvind, welcome from Australia, your post reminded me of why I thought Norway was the most interesting country I have ever visited (back some 30 years ago). Thanks for rekindling the memories. Always wanted to sail your west coast but it's a long haul from Oz - but never say never.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33   #11

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
LOL, bring an umbrella, is that why my great grand parents moved from Norway to Seattle? Felt right at home I guess!

Welcome aboard, I haven't had the chance to make it to Norway yet, my grandfather visited several times before he passed away(that's where he was born), but I've heard a lot about it and plan to visit someday. Actually came very close this year to going to the Notodden Blue Festival, but things didn't work out, maybe next year.

Anyhow welcome aboard!
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Norway