Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 15:48   #1

New Member from Missouri

Hi everyone,

My name is Jerry and I love to sail and BBQ. I have been sailing for 7 years, all on fresh water lakes. In May I am going to Josephine, Alabama for the Fla120 and then to Pensacola in June for the B.E.E.R. Cruise. I plan on doing the Great Loop in stages, stating in Chicago down the Illinois River to the Mississippi to Cairo, IL, then the Ohio River to the Cumberland River and so on to the Gulf at Mobile, AL. I hope to get that far this year, if not, there is next year.

I am planing on using my little San Juan 21 on as much of the entire voyage as possible, hopefully the entire voyage. It does okay in waves and wakes up to about 21/2 to 3 feet. The part that worries me is from Carrabelle, FL to Clearwater, FL , Albemarle Sound, NC, and the other open water on the Atlantic side.

Anyway, I love this forum and anything that sails and does'nt sink. Great winds to all.
BBQ Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 18:44   #2

wow that sounds like fun, all the best with it, i am an novice sailor, 1st summer was last year but love it, and the forums here are awesome, lots of help, usually dont have to ask as someone already has, welcome to the crew

wade
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:38   #3

Thanks blue noser. I hope you get to sail often and have fair winds always.
Old 20-03-2009, 19:56   #4

thanks much, the only problem is the aomout of stuff i wanna do to the boat, starting now and hopefully launce end of may, looking foreward to another great summer, spent 34 nites on the mac 25 last summer
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 20:09   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha BBQ,
Welcome aboard! I'd love to do that route someday. Sounds like a whole bunch of fun. Good luck.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 00:46   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day BBQ

Can I add my welcome also? It is aways great to hear of planned trips and even nicer to hear what happened on them. Be sure to keep us all posted.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 21-03-2009, 14:52   #7

Thanks for the welcome SkiprJohn and Swagman. I can't wait to get started on my Great Loop adventure. Hopefully in the future I will get to sail to the Big Island and the UK. I don't think I will try it on my San Juan though. I am planning to get a blue water cruiser in the next 2 or 3 years. Thanks again.
Old 21-03-2009, 14:58   #8

Blue noser, maybe this year you will get to spend many more nights aboard your Mac 25. Enjoy it while you can! Age has a tendency to sneak up on us. That is why I am going to cram as much water time as I can the next 20 or so years.
Old 21-03-2009, 15:09   #9

Swagman, I thought you said your blog was boring. Sounds like you are pretty darn busy to me. Keep it up.
Old 21-03-2009, 18:42   #10

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Welcome aboard Jerry, Sounds like you are going to have some fun and pass through my neck of the woods. My wife and I are departing in the morning from Evansville, IN and sailing down the Ohio to the Cumberlin to lake Barkley, through the canal over to Kentucky Lake and up to Lighthouse Landing. We got a slip there and are moving the boat there permantly.
Old 21-03-2009, 19:28   #11

Thanks for the welcom READY2GO. Maybe when I come thru that way, we could do a little sailing, talking, and maybe a cold drink. A friend of mine use to have his boat at the Lighthouse Landing. I think he might still be there. By the way, that is a nice looking boat you have. Heres to hoping our paths cross soon.