Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 13:09   #1

Boat: Willard 40PH trawler, ALOHA

I'm new on this board. Just browsing the archives has provided me a lot of useful information.

I have owned a Willard 40 Pilothouse Trawler for 5 years. Prior to that, I owned three different sailboats over a 30 year period. I have cruised from the San Juan Islands all the way to Mexico in my current boat. We will be cruising the west coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez in 2007. We plan to cross over to the South Pacific in 2008.

I am looking forward to exchanging ideas here. I have much to learn and nothing to prove.

Carry on.
alohaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 14:33   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha alohaboat,

Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. With your experience I'm certain you'll be able to contribute a great deal to the forum.
Just for curiosity sake what was your first sailboat over 16 feet long and where did you sail her?

Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 14:38   #3

Cal 24 homeported in Port San Luis, CA
Old 11-01-2007, 20:46   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Alohaboat, Welcome aboard

I'm sure you'll like all the good info we have here and I'm sure you'll have a little of your own to share.

A 40' trawler? You plan to head for the S. Pac. Are you going to have it shipped or can you carry enough fuel to make the trip.

I remember several years back there was a 38" trawler that had an arch that went from amidships to the bow. It could be raised up 20' with a back stay and a roller furling up forward. It could be sailed down wind and a few points either way.

I use to think of doing the same to the 40' Pacemaker I had way back then.

What's your plan???
..................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 20:49   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Alohaboat,
Always great to say hello to new site members - hope you find the forums useful.
JOHN
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
A 40' trawler? You plan to head for the S. Pac. Are you going to have it shipped or can you carry enough fuel to make the trip.
I will cruise over on her own bottom from Mexico to the Tuamotus where I will refuel. I have an "all empty" range of at least 3,500 nm. See my related post on the "efficient powerboats" thread.

Quote:
I remember several years back there was a 38" trawler that had an arch that went from amidships to the bow. It could be raised up 20' with a back stay and a roller furling up forward. It could be sailed down wind and a few points either way.
I have a mast on my boat. It is used primarly for instrumentation and as an attachment for my boom used as a dinghy lift. Under the right conditions I fly a downwind genoa from the mast (no main). I can use this to sail downwind in a 90 deg. arc. With 15 knots of apparent wind, I can add 1/2 knot to my cruising speed or cut back my RPM's by 100 or 150 and increase my range by at least 10%. Since I have a single engine, it is also my "get someplace" get home system in case of catastrophic failure in the drive system.

Quote:
I use to think of doing the same to the 40' Pacemaker I had way back then.
I would not recommend this type of trip in a semi displacement power boat. It is my opinion that only a full displacement hull in this size range built specifically for open ocean cruising offers the security and systems to undertake an ocean crossing.

Ocean crossings in 40 ft. full displacement powerboats is becoming quite commonplace today.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:35   #7

Aloha,
I started out in a fixed keel Catalina 22 in Honolulu and sailed out of Pearl Harbor before I started moving up into larger boats. Someday I might graduate to a large powerboat when fuel is $1 a gallon again (Hah!). Pigs flying comes to mind.
I, as many of us do, realize that you just can't beat the room and comfort provided by a large displacement power vessel.
JohnL
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40   #8

My decision to move to a powerboat was one of necessity. My wife refused to go sailing with me anymore. She says that sailing is "too wet, too cold, too tippy, and too much work." The closest thing to sailing I could find was a trawler. Now she loves being out on the water in the snug pilothouse. She is an active member of the crew and enjoys assuming control as captain of the helm. We are once again a happy family. However, I never pass up an opportunity to crew on someone's sailboat.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36   #9

Let's see, the choice was wife or sailboat. Hmmm?

I guess you made the right compromise. LOL

Really, I think making the admiral happy is very important. I know very well how the alternative feels.

Good talking with you.

JohnL