Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 17:52   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

Hi Everyone,
My name is Robin and I sail a Pearon Triton 28. I recently sailed to the Bahamas and back and she sailed great ! I am new to cruising and have a few questions
Here goes.
1. I sailed to the Bahamas and back without a SSB. I'm assuming should I want to cross the Atlantic I should have one. Would a SAt phone be better? I would like to have better communications with boats out there.
Any recommendations for a single hander on a budget? Given, that I'm a facebooker I'd like to up load my funny antics on the water.....droping the halyard, watching my jib sheet drop down thru the cockpit drain and around the prop....the things the inexperience do. Anyway, just thought if I'd had my camera and was hooked up to my computer I could do all that
when on the hook. What would be the easiest way to say connected to fellow boaters and the internet?
2. Does anyone cross the Atlantic during the winter months? FL to Bahamas to Azores? Is there a way to hook up with other fellow sailor for a crossing?
3. How many of you use a life raft?
4. I assume an EBIRB is essential for Atlantic crossing

Can ya send me in the right direction.....best wishes robin
Robin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 18:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

1. I sailed to the Bahamas and back without a SSB. I'm assuming should I want to cross the Atlantic I should have one. Would a SAt phone be better? I would like to have better communications with boats out there.
Any recommendations for a single hander on a budget?
SSB reciever is ok for weather, if you feel the need to communicate go for the transmiter as well... forget the sat phone if on a budget
2. Does anyone cross the Atlantic during the winter months? FL to Bahamas to Azores? Is there a way to hook up with other fellow sailor for a crossing?
Only Delivery skippers and the insane.. find someone insane
Dunno about others but I'm happier with a good inflatable on the foredeck.
4. I assume an EBIRB is essential for Atlantic crossing.
No... its only for the insecure... the insane don't bother

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 06:48   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin1 View Post
Hi Everyone,
My name is Robin and I sail a Pearon Triton 28. I recently sailed to the Bahamas and back and she sailed great ! I am new to cruising and have a few questions
Here goes.
Any recommendations for a single hander on a budget? Given, that I'm a facebooker I'd like to up load my funny antics on the water.....droping the halyard, watching my jib sheet drop down thru the cockpit drain and around the prop....the things the inexperience do. Anyway, just thought if I'd had my camera and was hooked up to my computer I could do all that
when on the hook. What would be the easiest way to say connected to fellow boaters and the internet?

G'Day and welcome. Views are going to vary but its pouring down with rain here so plenty of time to share mine with you.
A SSB transciever can be linked to a modem but likely to be too slow for regular web work. Short emails and weather gribs are really the max possible.
However, a Satphone would be much more expensive to use, and not logical for comms with other boats when sailing.
So my suggestion would be SSB transciever when underway, and a wifi booster so your computer can link up free when moored up. We also used our computer to skype and it saved us a fortune.

You could keep accessing sites like this but reality is most sail for pleasure in better weather. IMHO you'd best wait until next May and come then. If you've the budget, ARC Europe brings a small fleet together in May / June.

I do.

4. I assume an EBIRB is essential for Atlantic crossing

I agree.

Can ya send me in the right direction.....best wishes robin
Cheers
JOHN
Old 18-11-2010, 22:18   #4

Hey people! I am writing in Croatian) First, sorry for my imperfect English, I hope you understand me) Some day I applied for a job on cruisers, so I came to read a little of your beginnings and experiences)
Lyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 19:28   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I agree with what others have written. Always wait for the weather patterns to be favorable.
I like life rafts but they are not mandatory.
I think an EPIRB is pretty much necessary.
I don't have an SSB but it might be good for weather.
kind regards,