Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2006, 03:19   #16

Location: Perth(Australia) is home but France and Africa are fairly regular haunts
Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38(one day...)
Aahh...now that brings back some pretty powerful memories. I had the pure pleasure of a year and a half in Vancouver. A year and a half that disppeared in a blur of Rainforest Ale, blue-sky powder runs and the ever so welcoming come hither smile of an extraordinary number of beautiful young Vancouverettes. I look back on this time with nothing but a warm glow and a wistfulness for amazing times past. I didn't follow the well tracked path to Whistler, instead loved the city so much that I worked a bar on Robson for one summer, slung margaritas and hot oyster shots at Monk Mcqueens for another and for the snow, I wrangled a part timer serving up hot rum at Cypress Bowl for the lift pass. Really couldn't understand why anyone would spend their days freezing their ass off, telling people to lift up their skis.
The highlight of all was the sailing. Three seasons(two summer, one winter) on a Santana 35(36?) including class win in the Heineken regatta, overall champion at S.I.N and numerous other trophies. I lived in Kitsilano, around the corner from The Fringe and sailed out of False Creek. English Bay was a paradise(even if it is where I truly came to learn the definition of light air sailing).
The hospitality and grumpiness of the skipper, Graham and his lovely wife Lisa(never grumpy) will long stay with me.
Without wanting to send the hordes your way, I would simply like to pay homage to the most amazing city and the most friendly people. It truly is so much more classy than so many other places.
I love Vancouver.
Nick
:cubalibre
thefarawayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 14:15   #17

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Here is a link that will bring back lots of memories for you. I live in Deep Cove (bottom of Mount Seymour) in the fjord - Indian Arm. When I want to know what the weather is doing as I drive into Vancouver I use this link.

The very top pictures are of SFU as this is a Simon Fraser University link, but the remaining pictures (refreshed every ten minutes) will be very familiar to you.

http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=webcam

Yoiu need to move back, I don't have to tell you we have some of the best sailing in the world. I'm recovering from hip surgery (week 5 now) so I won't be sailing for at least another month. I keep the boat at Horseshoe Bay which is a great place to just park your bum in the cockpit and watch the show as the BC Ferries come and go. As some one said, the cheapest way to get waterfront in West Vancouver is to moor your boat at Sewell's marina.

Glad you enjoyed the city.

When I first moved to Vancouver, I lived in Kits point, just by the Maritime Museum. I could take my dog for a walk and watch all the sailboats out for their evening sails and races. I had a buddy who let me use his sailboat (I paid $100 month for his moorage) out of Royal Vancouver Yacht Club. He gave me his member number and for a couple of years, everyone there thought I was a member; I was probably there more than their "real" members.

So the solution is to bring your boat - when you get it - up here and head towards Desolation Sound and the Broughtons (spectacular there and not as crowded as Desolation Sound has become. And to think that Captain Vancouver was so depressed to be in Desolation Sound - why he named it that; he would never have dreamt what a mecca it has become for sailors.

Calm waters and a fair wind.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote