Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2008, 14:42   #1

Boat: 1976 Heritage one-ton
Smile New member

Hi
My wife and I have a Heritage 37 [much like Webb Chiles boat]. We're Great Lakes sailors from Mich. We moved the boat from the frozen north to Florida in 2001-2002. We spend 3 months a year on the boat during the winter months, which works well with hurricanes. We're coastal sailors, having made a couple of trips to the northern and central Bahamas,the Florida Keys, the Tortugas and will soon be in the Tampa area.
The boat is pretty basic with a Yanmar 2QM20 for power.I broke a motor mount last season and bought a set which I'll put in when we return next month. My first question is, what do you think about replacing just the front two. The people that I bought them from assure me that the rubber is rated for the weight of the Yanmar. There were choices.
Second question. I ran out of fuel once years ago and priming was pretty difficult. I am thinking of buying an electric fuel pump,low pressure and described as suitable as a diesel lift pump. I would mount it at the tank after the filter and water seperator with a bypass line and valve in parallel.I could close the valve and use it to purge the lines. It would also serve as a back up for the lift pump. Has anyone tried replacing a lift pump with an electric unit?
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 14:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My first question is, what do you think about replacing just the front two.
When one goes bad it tends to weaken the rest. Do them all as you still need to re align the engine any way. You really don't want to be revisting project this again soon.

Quote:
I am thinking of buying an electric fuel pump,low pressure and described as suitable as a diesel lift pump.
I had one in the last boat. Worked great for priming. I had a switch on the change over switch for the dual tanks. Not a bad way to go and an electric pump is good. The new ones no longer use bellows that wear out. Not sure what is best for the Yanmar, my last engine was a Perkins and the new boat is a Westerbeke. The details required to complete the job isn't something I could help you with but the idea of hanving one seems great.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:42   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Varmint,
Welcome aboard!! I agree with Paul about doing all the engine mounts at once. It really is best since you'll be disconnecting the shaft fromt the trans and lifting the engine anyway.
Good luck on the project.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:43   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
P. S. My wife's brother and wife just left here to go back to Cadillac after 3 weeks in Hawaii. They are not looking forward to the cold and snow.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:04   #5

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
I know I'll get some flack for this however ....... Rather than an electric furl pump to purge the filters, etc. I installed a handpump (the kind you have in a fuel line on your outboard) between the fuel tank and the Racor filters on both my propulsion engine and generator. I've been using them for about 15 years now. No expensive pumps - No wiring - no switches - no problems!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote