Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2007, 20:54   #1

Boat: Pearson 36, S.V. Distant Star
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
New liveaboard here....

Hello to all.

I just found this forum a few hours ago and wish i would have found it a few years ago. About 2 years ago my wife and i bought a neglicted 1972 Pearson 36 to live on. Now 2 years later, we have moved off and will be hauling it out for a MAJOR refit. Im expecting to have the boat on the hard for at least 2 years, maybe longer depending on how much we redo.

Im 23 years old and hadnt sailed one bit untill we bought the Pearson, my wife had never even been on a boat bigger than 23'. I grew up boating on a 23' cabin crusier, but never did my family do sailboats. Im not 100% sure where i got to idea to live aboard and crusie a sailboat, but it has been a plan of mine for years. Back when i was 16 i almost bought a Catalina 25 to live on and cruise the east coast, but the owner backed out at the last minute.

I ended up getting married and haveing a kid, now 2-1/2 years old. Our little girl was 9months when we moved aboard the Pearson. For our frist few weeks on the boat we lived at anchor since no marina would allow us in with out a motor, oh yea forgot to say, the pearson doesnt have a motor. Well we build a bracket for an outboard and got into a marina. Spent 2 weeks at the frist marina(mostly installing said bracket and outboard.). Left there for another marina that i was going to get work at and stayed with them for 3 weeks untill they told me they wernt going to hire me. Back to the frist marina for a few more months untill they shut down. We then went to another marina in Charleston and had a ton of trouble with them(not going to get into that now). After the trouble there we hit the anchors on May 31, 2007. Since then we have moved off the boat since it is hard for us with 2 kids(oh yea, we had a son in January 2007). Right now we are living with my grandparents looking forward to spending the next few years rebuilding the boat wile it sets in the backyard and saving for the cruising kitty.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...036/?start=all

That link is pictures of our boat. They are in no order, but pretty much every picture we have taken of the boat since getting it.
SVDistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2007, 00:03   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Matey,
I can empathise with the task and wish you good luck.
I once spent a year and a half building a 10 metre yacht and finishing it off in my front yard. Found I lost most time with 'pals' dropping round to check on progress. So one word of advice - don't allow beer on board the refit project!! In my case I reckon it added 50% to my build time!
Welcome to the forum - you'll find a wealth of knowledge here which I wish I'd had available when I built mine.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 17-11-2007, 06:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll run into all sorts of fun things as you complete your refit. The good news is most of it has all been done before. I hope you can get a lot of information to help you through the work ahead as we all appreciate how much this operation takes. We have a lot here already but we can add more if you need it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard