Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 17:48   #1
Registered User
 
SailorBOI's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Wish for a Ketch
Posts: 9
New Kiwi Joins the Forum

Hello all and the warmest greetings from New Zealand! I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading and learning from this site. I have already been doing such and started to think it might be a bit rude not to join.... so here I am. I have no yacht and it's been 12 years since I did some REAL sailing... but it's still in my blood albeit dormant until now.
From what I have read, there are some really genuine people with good attitudes and extensive experience on this site which I feel is hugely encouraging to people joining... so thanks already and in advance!
__________________

__________________
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty”
SailorBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:05   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorBOI View Post
Hello all and the warmest greetings from New Zealand! I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading and learning from this site. I have already been doing such and started to think it might be a bit rude not to join.... so here I am. I have no yacht and it's been 12 years since I did some REAL sailing... but it's still in my blood albeit dormant until now.
From what I have read, there are some really genuine people with good attitudes and extensive experience on this site which I feel is hugely encouraging to people joining... so thanks already and in advance!
Allow me to be the 1st to welcome you..........got a feeling that I know who you ar but Ill let you tell.

Wayne
__________________

__________________
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:06   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Welcome aboard, SailorBOI! There's always room for another Kiwi here. Hope you enjoy the Forum.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:12   #4
Registered User
 
SailorBOI's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Wish for a Ketch
Posts: 9
Thanks to both of you for the welcome. Yes, Wayne, it is I, Carl. Good to be here.
__________________
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty”
SailorBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:33   #5
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Howdy
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:44   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorBOI View Post
Thanks to both of you for the welcome. Yes, Wayne, it is I, Carl. Good to be here.

I hope that you didn't find that thread on Resurecting Kanani too disturbing........I trust that you saw it.

A lot of young Kiwi's learned how to sail on that boat.....are you still in contact with any of them??
__________________
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 18:45   #7
Registered User
 
bob_77903's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rockport, Texas
Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Posts: 304
Welcome SailorBOI
__________________
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 19:58   #8
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Hi Carl & welcome
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 20:08   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Posts: 837
A little history on Carl (that I'll bet that he didn't think that I knew or would remember...).....

His father and uncle traveled to Asia in the early 60's. They had a Chinese junk built there and sailed it back to NZ. He wrote a book about his adventures.....I would actually like to have a copy of the book. I read it but that was in '85....on my 1st trip to NZ.
__________________
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 21:28   #10
Registered User
 
SailorBOI's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Wish for a Ketch
Posts: 9
I could see about getting you a copy if you want since it is on my list of things to get done (I'm after a copy myself). The title of the book is: "The Voyage of the Golden Lotus" by Brian Clifford. As for the junk, it was on Lake Taupo of all places about a year ago last I heard. My father (Graham) now digs in the garden about 20 miles away from the nearest coast in the Far North of New Zealand. A far cry from the Lister diesel and terylene ropes of the 60's.
__________________
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty”
SailorBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorBOI View Post
I could see about getting you a copy if you want since it is on my list of things to get done (I'm after a copy myself). The title of the book is: "The Voyage of the Golden Lotus" by Brian Clifford. As for the junk, it was on Lake Taupo of all places about a year ago last I heard. My father (Graham) now digs in the garden about 20 miles away from the nearest coast in the Far North of New Zealand. A far cry from the Lister diesel and terylene ropes of the 60's.
Carl,

Here it is......you should grab this for yourself.
The Voyage of the Golden Lotus - Brian Clifford for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
__________________
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 20:59   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Aloha Carl,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and participating. I really enjoy your avatar.
Kind regards,
JohnL
__________________
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 00:22   #13
Registered User

Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Trismus 37
Posts: 760
Yeah, welcome Carl, was in the Bay over xmas, plan to be back up there later in feb, where in the B.o.I are you??
__________________
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 13:44   #14
Registered User
 
SailorBOI's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Boat: Wish for a Ketch
Posts: 9
Hi Steve, I'm originally from Russell but I live in Auckland now.... much to my dismay. Were it not for employment, I'd be living in the Bay or onboard. My father Graham Clifford was a skipper on the Cream trip Fullers cruise around the BOI for 42 years.
Never sailed the Kaipara before so I should think that would be a coastal port of call for me to build experience before I crew overseas again since it has been 10 years for me.
Cheers and thanks for the welcome.
__________________
“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty”
SailorBOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:34   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorBOI View Post
Hi Steve, I'm originally from Russell but I live in Auckland now.... much to my dismay. Were it not for employment, I'd be living in the Bay or onboard. My father Graham Clifford was a skipper on the Cream trip Fullers cruise around the BOI for 42 years.
Never sailed the Kaipara before so I should think that would be a coastal port of call for me to build experience before I crew overseas again since it has been 10 years for me.
Cheers and thanks for the welcome.
Carl is a bit too modest. He crewed for me in '95 on a passage from Auckland to Brisbane on my Passport 45. His brother crewed for me in '85 on my Columbia 36, in NZ.

We found out about a cyclone that was North of us and could possibly make it's way farther south. We made an unexpected stop at Lord Howe Island and sat out some pretty strong winds for a few days. The Island manager insisted that we take a mooring that was rather close to some rocks and we dragged that mooring about 30' ft (if I remember correctly), putting us precariously close to the rocks.

Carl helped in navigating into the Island's reef with no chart. He developed a pretty good eye for coral-heads, early on. I also remember him being quite helpful when we left. We had to exit a channel with big breaking seas because the wind came around and we were now on the windward side of the island. If we timed that one wrong, the trip would have ended there.

He also spent a week with us at Middleton Reef. That was another case of being able to negotiate coral-heads by eye. That is where he found out that sharks aren't nearly as scary as they appear . Carl's experience may have been fairly brief but he's seen a lot.

He learned all about spinnaker sailing on our cruising yacht too. We had a great passage together. I'm sending him a DVD of the whole thing.
__________________

__________________
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Circumnavigator Joins the Forum goprisko Meets & Greets 14 22-04-2010 21:18
Spring Moon joins from Vancouver, B.C. Spring Moon Meets & Greets 9 06-04-2009 02:20
Tim and a Westerly 49 joins the forum TimLuker Meets & Greets 6 04-01-2009 08:53
U.S. Navy joins ferry rescue efforts CaptainK Indian Ocean & Red Sea 9 01-04-2006 23:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.