Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 18:54   #16

Boat: 1972 Islander 34'
My Islander 34

If any of you are interested in following my progress on an Islander 34 that I have had for only a bit more than two weeks, you can check it out here.

DON'S NEW ADVENTURE
dstouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 13:22   #17

Boat: YachtCraft 34
Re: New Islander 34 owner in Everett, WA

hey all,
I too recently acquired a islander/yachtcraft 34. she was in the process of a fairly complete refit and i need to get some info on deck gear etc.
currently there are no genoa tracks. the traveler has been removed and a coachtop garhauer traveler system was purchased but is not installed. all the electrical has been redone by an abyc electrician. if anyone could give me measurements on tracks and placement i'd really appreciate it.
sailorsam57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 14:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsam57 View Post
hey all,
I too recently acquired a islander/yachtcraft 34. she was in the process of a fairly complete refit and i need to get some info on deck gear etc.
currently there are no genoa tracks. the traveler has been removed and a coachtop garhauer traveler system was purchased but is not installed. all the electrical has been redone by an abyc electrician. if anyone could give me measurements on tracks and placement i'd really appreciate it.
HUM. The I34 (old 60's to 72 ish model, not the 77 and newer mark II) has a 14' long boom and was designed for a end boom main sheet. Using a cabin top traveler might put too much load on the outboard boom section, specially on a uncontrolled jybe.

The original traveler was located aft of the aft coving between the coving and aft lasserette hatch. A Mark II perry design has a high aspect rig and came with a cabin top traveler, I think.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:33   #19

Boat: YachtCraft 34

i think my boat is actually a yachtcraft 34 it's identical to the islander but was sold in kit form. it seems the original owner installed the traveler on the coach top. i'm not opposed to relocating it back to the designed location. I really need to get some pics and measurements for the genoa track placement though. i've seen some 34's with the tracks just inboard of the stantions and others inboard against the cabin. i'm not sure if one is correct or if the placement was for upwind performance etc. if someone could advise me on the correct rig i'd really appreciate it.
sailorsam57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 19:50   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorsam57 View Post
i think my boat is actually a yachtcraft 34 it's identical to the islander but was sold in kit form. it seems the original owner installed the traveler on the coach top. i'm not opposed to relocating it back to the designed location. I really need to get some pics and measurements for the genoa track placement though. i've seen some 34's with the tracks just inboard of the stantions and others inboard against the cabin. i'm not sure if one is correct or if the placement was for upwind performance etc. if someone could advise me on the correct rig i'd really appreciate it.
I have the yachtcraft version also. On mine, the Genoa track begins a foot behind the aft lower shroud and extends to within a foot of the sheet winch. Mine runs on the top of the wood cap rail, which limits how close I can point by maybe 5 degrees or so. Being in the SF bay area, I mainly use a 100% working jib. I have a 150, but I've never used it underway here.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 15:58   #21

Boat: 1968 Islander 34

I've owned my 1968 Islander 34 since 1997. I keep her at the Cabrillo Way Marina in San Pedro, CA. She's a fun boat to sail and very comfortable on a mooring in Catalina. Below, I show the link to a bunch of photos.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - HeyChief's Album: "The Sloop John B" a 1968 Islander 34
HeyChief is offline   Reply With Quote