Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2014, 13:41   #1

New in San Diego

Hello,

I used to sail as a teen and recently decided to take it up again.

I'm considering a few sailing clubs in the area.

Anyone have good or bad things to say about Harbor Sailboats or Seaforth rentals? Or about sailing in San Diego in general?

Cheers
Mark L
DeckSwabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 14:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New in San Diego

Welcome aboard DeckSwabber,

There are some CF'ers in San Diego. Someone will chime in if they have knowledge of particular clubs, maybe even closer to you than SD proper.

Good luck finding a congenial one.

Ann
Old 17-09-2014, 15:46   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Come on over to Southwestern Yacht Club on Wednesdays. You'll probably find a boat needing crew for the Wet Wednesday races. It wouldn't hurt to have a cardboard sign saying "Will sail for beer". Tell them Roy sent you.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 11:31   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Come on over to Southwestern Yacht Club on Wednesdays. You'll probably find a boat needing crew for the Wet Wednesday races. It wouldn't hurt to have a cardboard sign saying "Will sail for beer". Tell them Roy sent you.
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I used to sail out of Fiddler's Cove Coronado in the 70s so anything I can say would be very old information. If you are going to take courses then try to find one that is blessed by ASA or USSailing.
If you have a cardboard sign that says "Will sail for beer" make certain you have the beer.
kind regards,
Old 25-09-2014, 11:53   #5

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We use an instructor who is affiliated with Harbor Island Yacht Club and have a friend who is a member of the club itself. He use the message board to find a partner when he wants to be skipper.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-09-2014, 12:20   #6

Roy's suggestion is a good one.
Also check out the Cortez Racing Association if you want to get involved as crew.
I belonged to Harbor Sailboats for years, they had, probably still do a good selection from Catalina 22's up to larger 30-40 ft Catalina's, Beneteau's and Hunters.
You will need to take some of their ASA classes or provide a sailing resume before the will let you take a boat out.

I know J Boats as a school/charter fleet.
I don't know much about Sea Forth, but their rentals always seemed a little worn out when I would see them on the bay.

You typically won't have much wind in the summer till it heats up a bit and the sea breeze kicks in. The bay can get crowded in the summer, we usually head off shore for the day.

Good luck and have fun.

Mike
sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:08   #7

Boat: Charter

I joined Harbor Sailboats when I first started sailing keelboats. My wife and I took the ASA 101 course from them and chartered their sailboats for a few years. Their service was good, their boats are very well kept, and we had a good time sailing there (great winter escape).

Since I don't live there, we got an annual deal on the membership terms instead of the monthly deal.

I'd recommend them.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:13   #8

I don't have any knowledge to impart about sailing clubs, but as a fellow San Diegan I just wanted to welcome you to CF!!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 14:17   #9

We decided to go with Harbor Sailboats for the same reasons folks have listed in this thread.
DeckSwabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 14:56   #10

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

many years ago I would stand on the corner of Rosecrans and shelter island dr with a sign that said "will crew for food". always got a ride. get a copy of the race calendar and be there by 8am Sat on race days.

harbor island sailing was great for capri22s, check out www.luckysolsailing.com and others like them (craigslist). a 3x5 'crew available' card at west marine/sailing supply/marine exchange/downwind bulletin boards also works.

boats always need enthusiastic crew...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 15:01   #11

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Welcome to CF.

Check out Marina Sailing which has 80 boats in 6 marinas from San Diego to Oxnard:

Sailing Instruction | Marina Sailing - Instruction, Rentals & Yacht Charters Southern California
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 21:07   #12

Hello Mark,

I'm new here too. Moved aboard my boat in Chula Vista in June. I've been sailing since March of this year but had the great advantage of a father in law with 40 or more years sailing to teach me. I'm always happy to have a beer bringing crew member aboard. PM and we can get together. The boat is a very forgiving Ericson 27.
Good luck,
Patrick

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego