Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 11:11   #1

Boat: NONE yet
New here, hello all

Hello to everyone! or should it be ahoy there. I have been dreaming of living on and sailing sinse I was a kid growing up in So FLorida. I have been reading all the helpful information that is posted here. It makes me want to get to it as soon as possible. I have planted the bug in my wifes ear and she seems to want to be part of cutting loose and sailing where ever you damn well please on noones time schedule. It will be at least 9-10 years before I can realize my dream and head out, because of children, child support etc. etc. I just wanted you all to know (the experianced cruisers) that your input does help. ONCE AGAIN HELLO ALL!!!

Charley
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 13:05   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Charley

Welcome aboard!

I'm sure you will enjoy the site! Lots of good info here! 9-10 years is not so long. For me, 10 years ago is begining to feel like last year. It's just the technology that has really changed. I can imagine what the boat industry will be like in another 10 years.

Enjoy......................................._/)

PS -I deleted your duplicate post, only one is needed.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 13:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey

PS -I deleted your duplicate post, only one is needed.
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to double post my puter was doing some funny things. Yeah I realize 10 years is not long, I would much rather start sooner.
Old 07-03-2007, 13:44   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. Nothing wrong with a 10 year plan. We had one 15 years ago. It closed on time and we have been happy cruisers since.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 15:51   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Charley,
Welcome aboard!! Looks like you're doing some armchair cruising. Let us know if you have questions. If you are already a sailor then disregard the following advice.
Buy "Start Sailing Right." Buy a Sunfish sailboat ($800) and start doing the things you read about in the book, teach your kids and have your wife along too. It'll be lots of fun and you'll learn really quick how sails work to get you from one place to another. Its not cruising but it is real sailing at a very cheap price.
There are inexpensive places to learn to sail as well if you'd like lessons.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08   #6

Thanks John

Thanks for the advice I did actually learn to sail when I was about 11 years old on a sailfish at the local lake/park that had a beach and boat rentals. I have not sailed however in about 17 years, as I moved to a land locked state, AZ. I still do get to the beach but, with all the other crap in tow and the many things that we cram into a week at athe beach there just is not time to load up the fam and go sail for a day. I do still make it to the lake however now my boat is a ski boat/runabout. The sailing living free from it all has just resurfaced as I have gotten older. I have been looking on craiglist and ebay for something close to me that I could afford as far as a small sailbaot goes. If I could conveince the wife that the powerboat is just to loud and stinky maybe she will let me sell it to purchase a decent sized daysailer or weekender. I will soon be in the wind and I dream of it until then. Pretty much getting all the information that I think will be useful, helpful, and who better to ask than people that do it all the time.
Old 16-03-2007, 21:16   #7

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
Ahoy, Ahoy, Ahoy

Greetings all from the great state of confusion, I for one have been confused long enough and the 14th of March was my last day of work. Time to liquidate and move aboard. I want to personnally thank Kainui and family for helpiing me realize there is life after the military. If I have to pay taxes I might as well have fun doin it. God speed everyone and I look forward to visiting when I'm not raising the sails or polishing the bronze. V/R Bill
Old 16-03-2007, 23:44   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome both Charley and Bill,
Great to say hello to two new site users, hope you achieve your dreams.
JOHN
Old 17-03-2007, 08:59   #9

Boat: com-pac19 pirates revenge
Welcome Charlie and Bill. Hang in there Charlie and keep the dream alive.
Good luck Bill and thanks for your seavice.
Jimmy Buffett
pirates revenge3 is offline   Reply With Quote