Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2010, 06:39   #1

New Guys

Hello All
Scott and Susan here. We are preparing for our new adventure. Planning on being on our new boat around June/July. School is out June 14th here in Tampa Fl. For good this time going to retire again... So we hope to be onboard soon thereafter. Looks like it going to be a 43 Beneteau this time. Both of us have cruised before, but on Power Boats. I lived for about 3 yrs in the Bahamas, we called Marsh Harbour, our home port. Susan lived in the FL Keys. We both had 42 Motoryachts. Both of us have great memories. Time moves on so here we are looking to go back out there this time a little slower, which is okay with us. Have done some sailing in the past , but not enough to call ourselves real sailors yet.... Wanting to start in the Bahamas or the BVI wherever we pick up our used Mooring boat from. Anybody out there have experience with the Mooring boats? Have not heard anything bad. I do know that take care of their boats while in charter. The fact we can buy now and leave in charter until June is a real selling point for us.
Hope to see some of you soon.
Best Regards
Scott & Susan
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 07:20   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard.

There are many threads already in the forum with info and opinions of buy boats out of charter, some of which address Moorings. A quick search should turn up lots.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 07:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Photograph everything, on your initial inspection as its has been know for things (Floors, Toilets, Cookers, etc)to be transferred 'on loan' till the deposit is paid...
Be there before the Survey and follow/observe the Surveyor throughout the Survey... if possible get a surveyor from the mainland, don't use a local.
Make sure he lifts/checks all areas important to you... common trick to stop leaks around windlass is when the gasket goes.. not to change them, just lift and pump full of cheap bathroom sealant.... give engine a good long run... taking to max revs a few times... check ally toe rails for signs of discolouration, pitting... means you've a bad electrolysis problem.. usually unresolved.
Make sure water tanks are full and system works without dumping the tankful in your bilges....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 08:22   #4

Info

Thanks all for the info. boatman61 thanks for the tip about the photos and the surveyor. And to you Sunspot Baby will check sites for info.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 09:16   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Moorings and Sunsail (and probably others but I'm familiar with those) do a good job of keeping the boats in proper order. They have to placate the owners, please the charter guests and keep the boats in operation. Many of the boats have been used hard but there are a lot of ex charter boats that have seen far less usage and abuse.

As with any investment of that size, a thousand dollars spent on surveys (general and structural, mechanical, and rigging) can go a long way to finding hidden problems. Most insurance companies require a current survey.

Marsh Harbor is a nice spot, so I'm envious there. As for being inexperienced, the Bahamas can be a great training ground. The water's generally flat, the winds out of the East most of the time and you can daysail as much as you want. On my first go-round I spent 6 months getting from Bimini to George Town. I'd come from Hobie 18s and the move to the Endeavour 37 was a big jump for me. I spent a lot of days simply sailing, learning how the boat worked and getting confident.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 03-12-2010, 13:03   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its great to have you here and have a great time cruising.
kind regards,