Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2014, 11:48   #16

Boat: Gemini 105 or Hunter 386
Re: New Guy With Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't think rocking on a mono is a major concern. It can happen in a bad rolly anchorage, but you learn to avoid those anchorages most the time. The cat has more of a "jerk" motion... which some don't like either...
Yeah, i read up on the jerk motion. I guess I'll just have to experience both in the real world. Hopefully I can befriend someone with a catamaran.

Old 29-12-2014, 11:55   #17

Boat: Nauticat 43, Hunter 170

If you've never experienced living on a boat, you should do so for at least a short period before you buy any boat. If you are qualified, you can find these or similar boats available for bareboat charter. You should take them out for at least a week at a time and see what you think. You can't read enough to know what it's like living on a boat. You have to experience it.

Old 29-12-2014, 12:38   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

I've seen many with deep pockets try to do the same thing, and it always works out the same way... disappointed with internet service. One friend in the communications business, even designed a special antenna for his $2,000,000 boat which he'd hoped to market after trying it out. He's back to being land based in order to run his company.

Nobody's trying to discourage you, but you do need to know the limitations and be realistic given todays technology. It's not the same out at some remote anchorage as it is seated at your computer hooked up via some cable internet link. I suggest you try it before buying into the lifestyle.

Basically, what you can get on your 3G cellphone today, is as good as it gets without paying thousands each month and paying thousands for satellite equipment, unless you just plan on sending some emails via radio modem or Iridium Go.
Old 29-12-2014, 12:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
If you just like the Idea of living on a boat and have the ability to travel in same a few times a year you can do it with very little problem. Any Marina on the Reo Dulce in Guatemala. or Mexico and some in Belize have excellent Hookups for the net. They are much better than some of the services we have here in the states. I have only 1.5 MB service here in Oregon. In Guat. I had upward of 50 MB. If you buy an older boat that is well insulated, it will be almost silent inside most of the time. Also you get used to the little tinkly sounds of the small waves against your hull. I loved living on my boat. Mac
I'll most likely be buying a boat no older than 20 years. The gemini I have an eye on for around my price range is 1996 plus/minus a couple years.

And the Hunter 386 in my price range is a 2004 or older.

So I'm not sure how well insulated they are. Little 'ripples' hitting the boat consistently shouldn't bother me. But hearing loud slaps now and then will drive me nuts.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has experienced living in a gemini. If the wave slap isn't that frequent under 'normal' conditions, than hands down I'll just get a cat. Normal meaning calm tides.

Good to hear about the internet services in those countries. I plan to visit but I'm not sure If I want to hang out there. I was thinking of making aruba my "permanent" residence during most of the year, especially hurricane season. I'd like to know where to sail before hurricane season, if I happen to buy a boat a month ahead of the season, ha-ha.

I'm on a 50mb service right now.
Old 29-12-2014, 12:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
If you've never experienced living on a boat, you should do so for at least a short period before you buy any boat. If you are qualified, you can find these or similar boats available for bareboat charter. You should take them out for at least a week at a time and see what you think. You can't read enough to know what it's like living on a boat. You have to experience it.
I plan on doing this with a monohull. Will spend 3 nights on it. I'll be looking into a catamaran. But I cannot possibly experience all conditions in 3 nights. So hearing someone who has live abroad experience is a huge plus.
Old 29-12-2014, 13:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've seen many with deep pockets try to do the same thing, and it always works out the same way... disappointed with internet service. One friend in the communications business, even designed a special antenna for his $2,000,000 boat which he'd hoped to market after trying it out. He's back to being land based in order to run his company.

Nobody's trying to discourage you, but you do need to know the limitations and be realistic given todays technology. It's not the same out at some remote anchorage as it is seated at your computer hooked up via some cable internet link. I suggest you try it before buying into the lifestyle.

Basically, what you can get on your 3G cellphone today, is as good as it gets without paying thousands each month and paying thousands for satellite equipment, unless you just plan on sending some emails via radio modem or Iridium Go.
3G, got it, thanks.

And the great thing about my line of work is that I can schedule my work in advance and not have to worry for days, possibly weeks. So I'm not too stressed about it and pretty flexible. It would just be a huge convenience to have easily accessible internet.

I am able to just work with e-mail. Receive several and send several.
Old 29-12-2014, 19:10   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
Hi. I've recently taken a strong interest in pursuing the live-aboard life in the caribbean. But I have a dilemma. I'm not sure which to go with. I've narrowed my options down to Gemini 105 and a Hunter 386. My max price is $70,000. I've never experienced living on a boat, so I have a couple of questions for those who have or spent multiple days and nights on a boat.

Between a Cat and a Mono, which is easier to sleep in?
I've researched the Gemini 105 thoroughly and have heard about the infamous 'Wave Slap'. I've never experienced sailing a Cat. I've experienced a monohull, but never slept on one. Will it be very hard adjusting to the constant rocking of a monohull? Keep in mind, I'm a really light sleeper.

Also, those who live miles off of any land in sight, how do you deal with internet? I run my business from the internet and am willing to pay a couple hundreds bucks a month. I'll be a coastal cruiser island hopping the caribbean, but too far out to pick up local internet service. Note: I have looked into this topic and am a bit confused. I heard of internet pricing and equipment costing an arm and a leg ($10,000?) and other prices like $150 for unlimited satellite using $1,500 equipment?

I plan on buying a boat in the later spring or early to mid-summer, once I sell off the house in a couple of months. Before buying a boat I'll be living in an apartment in the USVI.

Thanks in advance to those who take my questions seriously.

Edit: Little about me. I was an army brat, moved a lot and adjusted to life in different countries. Live in shoe boxes when going through college. Right now, I hardly ever see the sun since I'm working my way to a new lifestyle; live-abroad. I'm fine with small spaces and taking wherever the wind takes me. I've moved to unfamiliar places on land with several thousand in my pocket. I'm not afraid and the only concern I have is sleeping. If you think I can deal with it, than I know I can adjust to this new and unfamiliar lifestyle. I don't give up easily.
Given your general adaptability, I'd think you'd become used to either cat motion or mono motion for sleeping. The deal is that sometimes, you WANT the wind or sea state to waken you.

As to having good enough coverage to always have total internet access--I'll leave that to those who know better than I.

Ann
Old 29-12-2014, 19:28   #23

You have never slept on a boat and you are asking for opinions as to what boat to buy to sleep/live on?

Why not go sleep/live/charter a boat for awhile and decide if the romantic notion survives the reality?

Often it doesn't.
Old 29-12-2014, 20:41   #24

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Howdy BlackTiger.

As usual, others before me have given you lots of good advice.

My comment may seem flippant at first, but I really do mean it and offer it in a friendly tone.

I think whatever boat you buy (cat or mono) you will learn to sleep on it as a good skipper/owner should.

That means you will become "attuned" to YOUR boat and its motions and sounds. Whether the boat is sitting still (relatively speaking) or rocking or moving a bit on the anchor, ALL of those things will become "messages" to you that will help you stay safer and eventually learn to rest easier.

But, unless you are living in a marina, and assuming you are at anchor (on the hook), you will want to sleep and also be aware when something wakes you (a new motion or sound). Those things signal that it is time to check something, such as whether your anchor is dragging, or the wind is picking up, etc.

I am a relatively light sleeper. But, the fresh air and the day's activity (exercise comes with a boat) AND the motion of the boat on the water makes one sleep nicely, unless there is something to worry about, such as approaching bad weather.

Sleeping on a boat can be like a baby rocked to sleep by a mother.

Just make sure you learn to tie off your halyards to prevent them from slapping the mast all night! That sound will drive anyone crazy!

Still can't sleep?
Do some boat maintenance. Or...There is always the old salts sleeping aid, a bottle of rum.

What would I buy?
The best available boat within my budget, mono or cat.

Would I prefer a cat?
Only if it is nicer than the mono at the same price point.

Good luck on your future boat decision and your change of domicile.

Now here is a serious idea that may help you:
Go to Youtube. Search for sound recordings of a sailboat. Some of these are 8 hours long (see my link below). Play that at home when you go to sleep. Get your brain accustomed to the sounds of boats and wind in the rigging. You might even find you sleep better on land while listening to these sounds, as is often reported by the people who listen to these recordings. They can be soothing sounds.
My favorite that I have found is: http://youtu.be/ZkHeztKuY3g?list=PLX...P8XjUnfM-H-sVu

It is also part of my playlist of music for sailors (which can get you in the mood to go sailing or dreaming about boats). My playlist is here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...P8XjUnfM-H-sVu

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: