Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07   #1

Boat: 16' MC Scow
New Guy Looking to Interact with Smart Folks

Hi all,

This is my quick intro to all of you in this forum. I am a 40 year old who is missing the younger days of sailing and looking to get back into it.

I grew up doing small boat racing on a lake in Oregon, mostly MC Scow. I own an MC Scow now, but I only get out to 1-2 regattas per year. Over the years I have done some chartering of bigger boats, includeing last week when I was in the San Juans on a chartered 42' Catalina Mark II. The cruising bug is starting to take hold, and the bank account has started to grow, so I'm considering buying a boat of my own.

Being fairly new to cruseing and the bigger boats I'm hoping to have some conversations with folks who are smarter than me so I can make some good decisions while avoiding some of the pitfalls that can often occur.
GrizzlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:13   #2

Re: New guy looking to interact with smart folks

Hi Griz

Welcome

You will find that there a multitude of opinions. I would suggest doing some more chartering and figure out what designs, layouts, etc meet your needs and likes. The Catalina 42 is a nice boat. One little issue I had with it was the lack of galley stowage, but I just used some that space in the forward cabin. I did like the fridge with top and front loading.

Visit a few boats shows as well.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I dont know about smart. But there are people with a lot of experience around here. Good advice above - go on as many boats as you can before buying one.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Griz,
Which lake in Oregon? I'm not replying because I think I'm smart but just to welcome you aboard. Good to have you here.
I get back to Oregon once in awhile but mostly spend the time there with my family in Salem. None of them are sailors.
Seattle has a great boat show. You can go aboard many of them and see what features you really like. I like just basic boats, no frills, from 32 to 36 feet. Sloops and cutters, aft cockpit and diesel auxiliary powered but others here on the forum prefer the bells and whistles and prestine shiney interiors.
kind regards,
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40   #5

Good luck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51   #6

Thanks for the warm greetings.

We visited the Seattle boat show once and, except for the boats on lake union, found it to be heavily weighted toward power boats. Even the sailboats on the water tended to be new boats and only a few in the size we were interested in. At the same time, there are a ton of used boats around, but figuring out which ones I want to follow-up on seems hard. It is on my calendar to go with a different “eye” this year and see what we can find. I’m expecting it will be a year or so before we figure out the right boat for us. We need to save up some down payment cash as well.

Jackdale – You are right, lack of storage was one of our complaints about the Catalina 42. However, we did find more as the week went by so when we start comparing other boats I don’t know if it will really be all that bad.

SkiprJohn – I grew up racing at Coos Bay Yacht Club over on the coast, on Tenmile lake. I would do regattas at Fern Ridge in Eugene, Howard Prairie down near Medford, and a few other places.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just visited an old friend down in Coos Bay this last October. Had a lot of fun rediscovering parts of the coast. Passed by Fern Ridge out of Eugene and then Tenmile headed up the coast. Found a great micro-brewery in Newport.
I had the same experience about the Seattle boat show but it was a good place to start. There are so many boats for sale up that way compared to out here in the Pacific. Craigslist, Sailboatlistings.com, Yachtworld, etc..
kind regards,
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32   #8

[QUOTE=SkiprJohn;982779]Found a great micro-brewery in Newport.
QUOTE]

I will bet that was the Rouge Brewery. There is one here in Issaqua, Wa as well..., short drive from my house.
Old 03-07-2012, 14:33   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

I would first suggest trying to figure out what for and where you are going to use the boat. Even if that means starting at for everything and everywhere - and working backwards.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:20   #10

Fair point. My wife and I are narrowing that down as we start down this boat buying path. I got her switched from trying to buy some little beach cabin to a boat to use as a recreational 2nd home. We are so much happier when we are tied up to some buoy watching a sunset than when the rest of life pulls upon us.
Old 03-07-2012, 15:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I would first suggest trying to figure out what for and where you are going to use the boat. Even if that means starting at for everything and everywhere - and working backwards.........
There can been a significant difference between a nice roomy, light air boat that would be ideal for cruising the Salish Sea and a "proper" offshore boat needed for a circumnavigation. The latter would probably result in significantly higher fuels bills in the former circumstances.

Some cruisers also like to club race their boats, that will also affect your choice.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:14   #12

For now our intent is just to cruise the inner islands of the San Juans and lower BC, Canada. While I have racer blood in me, that won't be the point of this boat. If all goes well then in several years when my boys are older we might switch to something with more offshore or racing potential.
Old 03-07-2012, 16:15   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There can been a significant difference between a nice roomy, light air boat that would be ideal for cruising the Salish Sea and a "proper" offshore boat needed for a circumnavigation. The latter would probably result in significantly higher fuels bills in the former circumstances.

Some cruisers also like to club race their boats, that will also affect your choice.
OP could have nice roomy, light air and offshore capable - just likely to do that would be big (size and budget). and would probably need able crew.......and not so much fun for half a day around the bay with only wife and dog onboard.

Boats is all about choices and compromises. The catch 22 for OP is that until he knows firsthand what he wants / needs - he won't know what he wants / needs.....and what is willing and able to compromise on.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:24   #14
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
and the bank account has started to grow, so I'm considering buying a boat of my own.
oood plan, the boat will certainly take care of the bank account and you will have no more growth problems..

The last 30 days I have spent more than $3,000.00 on my boat and that does not include any upgrades, toys, insurance or filling the fuel tanks or bar cabinet...Just fun stuff like repairing toilets, broken sea cocks, bottom paint, varnish, etc, etc.

Sailboats are pretty much like a helicopter: 10 hours of maintenance for every hour of operation.

Good luck Mr. Grizzly and don't forget to kiss you bank account goodbye.
Old 03-07-2012, 17:32   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlySailor
Hi all,

This is my quick intro to all of you in this forum. I am a 40 year old who is missing the younger days of sailing and looking to get back into it.

I grew up doing small boat racing on a lake in Oregon, mostly MC Scow. I own an MC Scow now, but I only get out to 1-2 regattas per year. Over the years I have done some chartering of bigger boats, includeing last week when I was in the San Juans on a chartered 42' Catalina Mark II. The cruising bug is starting to take hold, and the bank account has started to grow, so I'm considering buying a boat of my own.

Being fairly new to cruseing and the bigger boats I'm hoping to have some conversations with folks who are smarter than me so I can make some good decisions while avoiding some of the pitfalls that can often occur.
If you are only getting to a couple of regattas a year now plus chartering once in a while, are you sure you want to tie up your capital in a big boat?

Maybe work the numbers and charter more...

I know if I didn't sail my boat at least 3 weekends a month I would wonder why I have it. Even when not sailing the boat needs tlc and maintenance. You have to commit to integrating it in your lifestyle IMHO...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote