Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 17:38   #16

Re: New guy looking to interact with smart folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Good luck Mr. Grizzly and don't forget to kiss you bank account goodbye.
BOAT is an acronym

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If you are only getting to a couple of regattas a year now plus chartering once in a while, are you sure you want to tie up your capital in a big boat?

Maybe work the numbers and charter more...

I know if I didn't sail my boat at least 3 weekends a month I would wonder why I have it. Even when not sailing the boat needs tlc and maintenance. You have to commit to integrating it in your lifestyle IMHO...
Great advice.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:43   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
Being fairly new to cruseing and the bigger boats I'm hoping to have some conversations with folks who are smarter than me so I can make some good decisions while avoiding some of the pitfalls that can often occur.
Most everyone here is like that I think the process is to define what kind of sailor you really are and it really is more about you than what other people do. Crossing over from racing to cruising changes a lot of things and it's a different kind of fun.

Sorry but being 40 isn't old enough. I have coats older than 40. Seriously, there is a lot to read here and asking questions is the only reason there is anything to read at all. People ask and some people will respond. We don't charge and the information can be worth far more than you paid for it.

Please join the fun and I know you'll find some thought provoking reading. I know because I wrote some of it I also know people that wrote even more! It's why I still read here too. I've been here 10 years and there is always something to peak interest.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 19:12   #19

Boat: 16' MC Scow

Quote:
If you are only getting to a couple of regattas a year now plus chartering once in a while, are you sure you want to tie up your capital in a big boat?
Quote:

Maybe work the numbers and charter more...

I know if I didn't sail my boat at least 3 weekends a month I would wonder why I have it. Even when not sailing the boat needs tlc and maintenance. You have to commit to integrating it in your lifestyle IMHO...

Good point. My MC Scow is past her prime. I have old sails and an older rigging compared to the newer hulls (she is about 25 years old). I am away from any fleets and thus drives are long and require either motels or camping. Other boats her age have started de-laminating so it is only a mater of time. It is hard to give her up as I have many trophies on the wall tanks to 977, but she isn't the right boat for the Seattle area. She also isn't a family boat so I think converting over to a cruising lifestyle would be better. 10 years.., maybe a switch from a cruiser to something with some racing potential to do Swiftsure or something like that. I have been having a mild identify crisis and when we were cruising the San Juan's my wife and I looked at each other and knew that being boat people, even if only on occasional trips and weekends, was the right thing for us at this point in our lives.

The TLC and maintenance is something I wish I had time to do but I am just not sure, which is another reason why putting it in charter where someone else will do those things for me is appealing. I am working the numbers, however, so I'm not a complete dreamer.
GrizzlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote