Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 00:56   #1

New Guy in Dallas, TX

I am very grateful to have found the CF. The lifestyle is all I ever think about anymore.I feel trapped like a rat waiting for my boat to come in!
My intention was to fully vest in the business I'm in (Jan 1 2014) but I just can't stop my brains thinking of sailing. I guess I have the bug.
My wife and I are very adventurous. I think we will fit right in!
Never sailed. He He

I want to go kinda big and GO NOW
tonforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 04:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tonforty.

To "go kinda big" is good.
To "GO NOW" is great.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 04:33   #3

Boat: Looking for a Kitty
Welcome friend. My wife and I are in the same boat. The cool thing is the more you tell others about your plans the more people you meet with the same bug.
Old 29-12-2010, 11:38   #4

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
Welcome aboard New Guy for Dallas. I think we all have the bug and that is why we are here. )
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 12:20   #5

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
I share your pain. I too, live in Dallas and look toward the day when the bride and I can cruise year round. I have kicked around several ideas. The latest is to downsize to our minimum housing needs (we'll be empty nesters in the fall of 2011) buy a 40-something foot boat. We would keep it on Lake Ray Hubbard and enjoy it while getting it set up with things for the eventual transport to the gulf coast.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 12:56   #6

Great plan!
I'm more like not wanting to spend a dime or an effort till I'm immediately living where its warm on a forty footerish for an instantanious shocker change. He He
1 Florida boat purchase
2 learn to sail (while living on it)
3 leave for intial caribbean adventure when the time is right.

I'm honestly thinking just simply going there and asking around and just getting into the "Keys community" will net an amazing deal just by holding out till it happens.

I love your plan...You could do it NOW is the best part!
tonforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:24   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13   #8

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Hi I am also new to CF in the Dallas -Lake Ray Hunbard. I live about 50 miles east. I have just now set my foot on a path that will hopefully lead to a retirement on a sailboat on the Gulf of Mexico and other nearby nearby areas. I am picking up a Macgregor 2-22 next week to fix up and to learn how to maintain and sail. A learning laboratory -a trailer sailor. I am seeking to make connections and friendships with experienced sailors on LRH. I need mentors and knowledgeable resources. If you can help please contact me. Thanks. Curtis
cwcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: New Guy in Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonforty View Post
I am very grateful to have found the CF. The lifestyle is all I ever think about anymore.I feel trapped like a rat waiting for my boat to come in!
My intention was to fully vest in the business I'm in (Jan 1 2014) but I just can't stop my brains thinking of sailing. I guess I have the bug.
My wife and I are very adventurous. I think we will fit right in!
Never sailed. He He

I want to go kinda big and GO NOW
Ton, don't sit home and mope -- get out there and go sailing! Use this time to prepare to make your dream real -- Texas is a great venue in which to learn to sail.

I lived in Texas for 22 years, about 16 of those in the Dallas area. I was on the water sailing almost every weekend. You maybe be surprised to discover that you have a large and active sailing community all around you -- all you have to do is make the effort to get involved!

The DFW area has the three essential elements needed for a viable sailing community: water, wind, and money. Texas has one of the highest concentrations of sail boats on the planet. And, yes within a one hour radius drive radius of Plano you have loads of sailing opportunities.

Just north of you lies one of the largest man made lakes in the world (number 3 as I recall) -- Lake Texoma -- 89,000 acres at normal pool level. Not only is it a great place for day sailing and racing, but it is a great mini-cruising ground. Lots of good anchorages, a chain of islands with sandy beaches, and several large marinas (Grand Pappy Point had something like 1,200 slips when I was there and that was ages ago).

There are also several other large man made lakes in the DFW area with active sailing communities.

There is a very active sailing club located at GPP named Texoma Sailing Club (See Texoma Sailing Club). Very active and friendly group. I raced so much with TSS, and other clubs in the area, that I had to sometimes take vacations from sailing just to recover. Texoma Lakefest Regatta is a huge and fun event. Last time I crewed in it years ago there were over 100 boats racing.

And that's just in your immediate area: several other venues in inland Texas also have good sailing venues -- like Lake Travis in Austin. And, we have not even touched the Texas coast yet -- the Kemah/Seabrook/Clear Lake area has one of the densest concentrations of sailing vessels in the world. Corpus Christi is also a great sailing venue -- used to keep my previous boat there. Google "Harvest Moon Regatta" -- a big fun event every year "racing" along the Texas Coast -- again with over 100 boats the last time I ran it in 1996.

If you want a sailing experience that you can only get in a few other locations on the planet then Google up the ELISSA. She's a barque rigged ship built in 1877 and still sailing! Better yet, volunteer to crew on her.

Lots of sailing schools in Texas too, both inland and along the coast. Just visit the American Sailing Association (ASA) at www.asa.com for a list of schools in your area.

You could not be in a better location. I should know, I learned to sail in north Texas and now live full-time in the NW Caribbean.

We humans have the ability to create our only reality, but you must act to make it happen!

Just do it!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59   #10

Curtis, I'm not sure I qualify as a mentor...in fact I'm totally sure I don't even come close. I do piddle around the docks (H) at Chandlers Landing. I take it that when you get your boat, you will not be parking it in a slip. Correct? If you see me on the lake holler at me. Yellow Pearson..."Geez Louise". I usually monitor channels 16 & 71.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcary View Post
Hi I am also new to CF in the Dallas -Lake Ray Hunbard. I live about 50 miles east. I have just now set my foot on a path that will hopefully lead to a retirement on a sailboat on the Gulf of Mexico and other nearby nearby areas. I am picking up a Macgregor 2-22 next week to fix up and to learn how to maintain and sail. A learning laboratory -a trailer sailor. I am seeking to make connections and friendships with experienced sailors on LRH. I need mentors and knowledgeable resources. If you can help please contact me. Thanks. Curtis
Great idea! Get out there and do it!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01   #12

Thanks RHR1956 I'll do that. But see, already you are helping me figure this all out. You monitor channels 16 & 71? Are you talking about a CB radio or some other type of radio communication? It never occured to me to put a CB on the boat. Is that how many of the sailors on LRH communicate? Where is the best place to put one for easy access?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03   #13

Here's a question for sailors on LRH Dallas. I want to get the ASA 101 sometime this summer. Any recommendations on sailing schools - and they don't necessarily need to be on LRH. I am not budget minded when it comes to something like this. My priority is to get quality instruction.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:11   #14

cwcary..not CB radio..VHF. I use a hand held that is available online everywhere for under $100. It charges on a car charger. AS for sailing schools, contact North Texas Sailing at 972 771 -2002 or online at www.northtexassailing.com I have no affiliation with them, but they are the oldest sailing school in north Texas. They train here at the lake. They can take you all the way through coastal navigation.