Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 13:24   #1

New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986 - Looking for Advice

I am new to the site and forums in general so hopefully I can figure out the etiquette and maybe contribute in someway in the future.

I am very cost driven, I am looking for a boat to spend a few years exploring the pacific north west, and I have long term goals of long distance water sailing">blue water sailing. I found a hunter 40 1986, in the 60k range, any thoughts? is this vessel safe for blue water cruising?

Thanks you.
SickBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 14:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

As you're looking a a boat that is near 30 years old the condition of the boat could be more important than the make or model.

The amount of experience that you have is also important.

As with all boats a survey is essential. My opinion is that you should find and talk to your surveyor before seriously looking at boats.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 14:45   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Welcome to the forum.

Bocacay's advice pretty much covers it. Unfortunately, you'll run into a bit of snobbery on internet forums against production boats precisely because they're affordable. Hunters get bashed here, as do Beneteaus, Catalinas, and just about all multihulls as well. It's always the same old story: if your boat isn't built like a ship's lifeboat, and it's not horribly uncomfortable down below, it can't possibly be sailed safely beyond sight of land.

One pattern you'll find is that the Hunter bashers tend not to have a whole lot of waterline below them. For some reason they tend to think that it's safer to go to sea in a boat that seldom exceeds 4 knots.

I can't help notice that your first post on this forum is asking whether a certain brand of boats is safe for bluewater cruising. Many will suspect this post of being a troll, just because it follows a pattern that we actually see here quite a bit. If you're not familiar with the troll phenomenon, you can research it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
Old 18-03-2012, 15:09   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

There are a lot of opinions on this site as Bash discussed, all are biased in some way, if the question is "Would you concider a 30 y/o Hunter as a boat to explore the Pacific NW" Then I think most here will agree that this boat would not be there first pick. Could this boat do it, I think absolutly. It soulds like you have about 60K to invest. If that is the case, I would probably look for a smaller blue water boat in great condition. If this 30 y/o boat is not in pristine condition, you could probably count on spending close to the asking price getting it there.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:16   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm current Hunter owner so don't have anything aganist them.

I looked at one of those Hunter 40's a few years ago. While it has a nice aft berth I felt it gave up too much to have it. Overall felt it was a fast boat but the lving usage was not impressive. For $60k I think you can find a better cruiser (remember a cruiser is more about living on the boat)
Old 18-03-2012, 15:35   #6

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I agree with don...........60 grand is too much for a 1986 hunter.........unless it is ready to go with new updated electronics and solar and wind energy with a newer watermaker....generator and AC along with new sails and canvas and of course new tanks (water, diesal and waste, with new hoses) and no moisture problems and less than 2000 hours on the engine...........if it has all this......offer them 42 thousand and see were it goes
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:50   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Welcome aboard!! My wife and I have also been giving Hunters a close look. At first I was put off by the anti Hunter opinions often presented here, but the more I looked and studied, the more I realized that it is all about compromises and maximizing what you find important in a boat while minimizing those aspects that are less attractive. For us, and from that perspective Hunters actually have a lot to offer.
Old 19-03-2012, 04:52   #8

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
I agree with don...........60 grand is too much for a 1986 hunter.........unless it is ready to go with new updated electronics and solar and wind energy with a newer watermaker....generator and AC along with new sails and canvas and of course new tanks (water, diesal and waste, with new hoses) and no moisture problems and less than 2000 hours on the engine...........if it has all this......offer them 42 thousand and see were it goes
Pacific NW, Don't Forget the HEATER!!!
Old 19-03-2012, 05:13   #9

Boat: hunter 376

A Hunter Legend 40 was recently offered for sale at the Vancouver Boat show for about 50 grand. It was a bank repo, in fairly poor condition maintainence-wise, smelled musty and moldy inside, and attracted a great deal of attention. (I think it had a near new engine though.) When we went to view it a week later, it had already sold. Depending on a lot of things, not the least of which is a survey, the OPs described boat may well be worth somewhere around the asking price, at least here in the PNW.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 19:12   #10

All sound advise indeed, I will certainly take my time with this decision. If I wasn't on such a budget my dream boat would be a Kely Peterson 44, but reality is as such and I am left with what is in a certain price range.
Old 19-03-2012, 19:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Bocacay's advice pretty much covers it. Unfortunately, you'll run into a bit of snobbery on internet forums against production boats precisely because they're affordable. Hunters get bashed here, as do Beneteaus, Catalinas, and just about all multihulls as well. It's always the same old story: if your boat isn't built like a ship's lifeboat, and it's not horribly uncomfortable down below, it can't possibly be sailed safely beyond sight of land.

One pattern you'll find is that the Hunter bashers tend not to have a whole lot of waterline below them. For some reason they tend to think that it's safer to go to sea in a boat that seldom exceeds 4 knots.

I can't help notice that your first post on this forum is asking whether a certain brand of boats is safe for bluewater cruising. Many will suspect this post of being a troll, just because it follows a pattern that we actually see here quite a bit. If you're not familiar with the troll phenomenon, you can research it here: Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have never heard of trolling? This would be a sad use of someones time.
Old 19-03-2012, 19:31   #12

before deciding if this is the boat for you, perhaps you should look around for reviews of the boat. Most will tell you seaworthiness, strengths and weaknesses. Do a google search for Reviews for the Hunter 40 and/or any other boat you may be considering.
I did a lot of checking to ascertain what is and what is not considered a bluewater seaworthy boat and I have never seen Hunter classified as a safe bluewater seaworthy cruiser, but on the other hand, there have been Hunter's that have successfully crossed oceans.
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 19:34   #13

Boat: In Between Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBouy View Post
Oh boy, here we go!

Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 20:13   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
All sound advise indeed, I will certainly take my time with this decision. If I wasn't on such a budget my dream boat would be a Kely Peterson 44, but reality is as such and I am left with what is in a certain price range.
Welcome SickBouy...So far some sound advise. Although the advise here tends to be polarized, just hang around and take in as much info as you can. The KP 44 is a great boat. My friend has one and he has done a lot of blue water work with it. My Hallberg Rassy 35 is a sized down version of it and they are priced reasonably. While I agree with the life boat doing 4 knot syndrome as not a great choice for voyaging, I also don't feel the around the bouy's deep draft, fin keel, cored hull apartment layout is the way to go either. But there is a lot of boats between the two. Hope this helps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 20:19   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Agreed. And yet, around here it happens a lot.

Tags
hunter