Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 21:42   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 382
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

Interesting user name
__________________

__________________
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 22:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBouy
I am new to the site and forums in general so hopefully I can figure out the etiquette and maybe contribute in someway in the future.

I am very cost driven, I am looking for a boat to spend a few years exploring the pacific north west, and I have long term goals of long distance water sailing">blue water sailing. I found a hunter 40 1986, in the 60k range, any thoughts? is this vessel safe for blue water cruising?

Thanks you.
Welcome to CF. you are a very unusual sailor because you are on a budget. Can't think of anyone else with unlimited money to spend - LOL...

Reealities -

- We all have a price point and want to maximize the boat at the price
- Crusing PNW - many, many, many boats will safely and comfortably cruise the PNW. Everyone who doesn't own a Hunter will tell you why a Hunter won't while telling you why their boat will. Forget other people's boats. While interesting to the poster/owner it is not germaine to what the OP is asking.
- "Bluewater Cruiser" is one of the most poloarizing labels on this forum. After being here 7 years I have seen no perfect definition. For me its about sailing across oceans for over 5 days at sea where weather conditions can change dramatically during the passage. You state bluewater cruising is in your long term goal. If that goal is more than 5 years away dont fuss with that right now. Your plans may change, you will learn a lot in 5 years and you may sell whateveer boat you buy and get something different.

- The price of boats. Old boat price variation is entirely dependent on the condition of the boat. Those who have responded so far with too high or too low responses have no clue because no one knows the condition of "this" boat. That is why the advice to look at all similar boats, learn about boat condition and what affects value and then when you think you have found something, get a surveyor to confirm hidden conditions.

So inmy opinion a 1986 40 foot Hunter can be made into a bluewater cruiser if you want it to be and need it to be. For 5-10 years poking around the PNW it will be fine. The main thing is how to assess condiiton and price and that is the trick.

Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:43   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Rocketman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naples, FL
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Posts: 668
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

Good post by EX-Calif, IMO he is right on the mark!!!!
__________________
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:23   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DC
Boat: Hunter 38
Posts: 57
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

OK so compelled to reply …. I have sailed for a 20 plus years, raced most of that (generally on other people’s race only boats (i.e. nothing furling, and exotic antifouling, etc) – I have owned a number of boats from a 12 ft dinghy to a 20 ft cat to currently a 38 Hunter, with a few motor and sail cruisers along the way – a many great memories! Based on the vibes here I was anti-hunter … until I actually looked at the design process, the economies of scale and ‘production’….
Last time we purchased a boat we gave some though to casting off the lines and heading to the horizon – but with no plan to get to that point. We are now on a plan to get there but know that its 7-10 years off. We sail on the Chesapeake and generally the boat is within 40 miles of home base (I know this makes me unique on this forum J ) - I also do a lot of my own maintenance while working full time. We purchased a 05 H38 because it is ‘perfect’ for our plan – we know that the probability of leaving the bay is quite low and the probability of a trans Atlantic is essentially zero - but she is large, well designed, has lots of room and amenities and is relatively affordable and lowish maintenance, and oh yea – she actually moves! So far we love it!
Now – when our leash is longer and if we decide to sail there – it may be in a Hylas or Passport etc (get there fast, get there safe) but perfect is all about purpose.
BTW I have also sailed the older Hunters, specifically the 90ies H37.5 and would trust that boat quite a lot. As for the H40 from the 80ies, I agree with ExCalif – look at lots of boats – your plans will change and that Hunter will give you a few years of fun without much depreciation – so changing is not so big a deal (unless you bolt another $30G worth of stuff to her and find that you like something else … if you really know what you want it is worth paying more for in the sale as it’s a lot cheaper than adding later – as long as you want the stuff that already installed).
Just my 2c
Ed
__________________
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:38   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Welcome to CF. you are a very unusual sailor because you are on a budget. Can't think of anyone else with unlimited money to spend - LOL...

Reealities -

- We all have a price point and want to maximize the boat at the price
- Crusing PNW - many, many, many boats will safely and comfortably cruise the PNW. Everyone who doesn't own a Hunter will tell you why a Hunter won't while telling you why their boat will. Forget other people's boats. While interesting to the poster/owner it is not germaine to what the OP is asking.
- "Bluewater Cruiser" is one of the most poloarizing labels on this forum. After being here 7 years I have seen no perfect definition. For me its about sailing across oceans for over 5 days at sea where weather conditions can change dramatically during the passage. You state bluewater cruising is in your long term goal. If that goal is more than 5 years away dont fuss with that right now. Your plans may change, you will learn a lot in 5 years and you may sell whateveer boat you buy and get something different.

- The price of boats. Old boat price variation is entirely dependent on the condition of the boat. Those who have responded so far with too high or too low responses have no clue because no one knows the condition of "this" boat. That is why the advice to look at all similar boats, learn about boat condition and what affects value and then when you think you have found something, get a surveyor to confirm hidden conditions.

So inmy opinion a 1986 40 foot Hunter can be made into a bluewater cruiser if you want it to be and need it to be. For 5-10 years poking around the PNW it will be fine. The main thing is how to assess condiiton and price and that is the trick.

Good luck!
Thanks for that, I am very lucky because the couple who are selling the boat seem extremely decent, very open and willing to discuss the pros and cons of the boat. I am also fortunate because my girlfriends father is a very experienced sailer (Jeaneau 49) and he will check out the boat with me before I sign on the dotted line.
You raise a very valid point, for my long term goals upgrading to another boat in the future is an option. All more the reason to get good value on the boat, I would hate to loose a ton of money on the resale in the future.
__________________
SickBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 15:57   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,459
Images: 69
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Even though you're father-in-law is going to check the boat out with you, still get a survey!

Odds are the survey will more than pay for itself by giving you points for negotiating on price. And it could save you from buying serious trouble.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:41   #22
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Even though you're father-in-law is going to check the boat out with you, still get a survey!

Odds are the survey will more than pay for itself by giving you points for negotiating on price. And it could save you from buying serious trouble.
+1 on the survey.

Also the advantage of a production boat with a good production run under its belt is there are usually more to compare to on the internet. Do some internet valuations so you have an idea of an average asking price and negotiate from there. It would not be unusual in most markets to get 20-25% off asking price.

The key is a self assessment of the condition, then engage a surveyor and then make a final offer.

Your experienced father in law is a plus. Also be cautious about getting emotional. There are lots of boats out there and you will be told there is a line a mile long waiting to buy this one. Rarely true.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:43   #23
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBouy View Post
Thanks for that, I am very lucky because the couple who are selling the boat seem extremely decent, very open and willing to discuss the pros and cons of the boat.
That's an astute observation. Hunter owners are always nice.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:02   #24
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,326
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's an astute observation. Hunter owners are always nice.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:25   #25
Registered User
 
Jon4399's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
Posts: 94
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

After searching the internet sites for over a year, and physically viewing a number of boats, I settled on a Hunter 37.5. What I took from all the Hunter bashing and other comments and actual sailors blogs, is that you can sail darn near anyting anywhere. I hope to sail the Caribbean and maybe points beyond, but probably not crossing the Pacific. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to take my boat there. As you veiw boats, make your own checklist. Take what the survey says, cause you'll need one for the insurance, but never think they will find everything. Look for moisture in the deck and rot elsewhere, secure chainplates. no ossmotic corrosion, etc. But find a boat that suits your needs. I Love the Hunter interior. I love the toe rail that extends a couple of inches beyond the hull which protects it from docks. Lots to like. Good luck.
__________________
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.
W.M. Lewis
Jon4399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:55   #26
Registered User
 
cheoah's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Boat: Moccasins and pony
Posts: 996
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

That was funny.

This is a great thread with sound advice. Get the boat you like and can afford.

From my perspective, being on a limited budget, a 40' hunter would be out of my range. All that extra boat can add up in maintenance, and when I stepped up from a Cape Dory 30 to a Crealock 34, I ruled out a 40 footer because of the additional costs, and because I never wanted lack of crew to keep me in port.

Just take your time with the survey, get your girlfriend's father involved, and whoever else's opinion you value. Look at all the systems and ask yourself what you would do if it fails, and if you can afford to keep it in marketable shape -- so you can sell it when your cruising plans evolve. For a boat that age, you will need to be pretty self sufficient with maintenance and repairs, as it is really expensive to pay people to do it.

I cannot wait to explore your cruising grounds. Hope you can get on the water soon, in whatever boat that gets you there, sleeps comfortably and fires your lust for exploration.
__________________
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:07   #27
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
After searching the internet sites for over a year, and physically viewing a number of boats, I settled on a Hunter 37.5. What I took from all the Hunter bashing and other comments and actual sailors blogs, is that you can sail darn near anyting anywhere. I hope to sail the Caribbean and maybe points beyond, but probably not crossing the Pacific. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to take my boat there. As you veiw boats, make your own checklist. Take what the survey says, cause you'll need one for the insurance, but never think they will find everything. Look for moisture in the deck and rot elsewhere, secure chainplates. no ossmotic corrosion, etc. But find a boat that suits your needs. I Love the Hunter interior. I love the toe rail that extends a couple of inches beyond the hull which protects it from docks. Lots to like. Good luck.
Hunter bashers are chumps.

Just look up Sequitur (Hunter 49). They rounded Cape Horn into an F-10/11 (that's 50-60 knots mind you...in the Southern Ocean). With a cockpit enclosure up! Lying a'hull while the 2-person crew stayed snug below under duvets...watching the breaking waves smash over the skylights, getting the glass-bottom view of the abyss from their leeward ports, drinking tea, and "enjoying the storm".

The Hunter performed perfectly...and made fools of the bashers...as did the very capable skipper.

Go the Hunter.
__________________
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:30   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Exiled in this desert
Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172
Posts: 18
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

I own a fishing boat, we troll with it, I dream of sailing away in the Pacific when I retire.
I am open to the idea of fishing, man gotta eat,,,so I got to ask, ???
When we here in the High Mountains of the west mention TROLLING, it is a way of fishing.
Does "Trolling " mean something else in the Sailing community?
__________________
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:39   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog
I own a fishing boat, we troll with it, I dream of sailing away in the Pacific when I retire.
I am open to the idea of fishing, man gotta eat,,,so I got to ask, ???
When we here in the High Mountains of the west mention TROLLING, it is a way of fishing.
Does "Trolling " mean something else in the Sailing community?
Thread drift alert...

Trolling is an intnet forum word. It probably derives from fishing.

It is the act of putting statements (bait) in the forum with sole intent to elicit controversy and fights.

Example - Hunters are crap boats and anyone who would intend to take one off the dock, much less offshore is an idiot.

See I not only slammed the boat but I personally slammed current owners. Two hooks in the water so to speak...

Another origin of trolling is said to be the classic fairy tale troll. A dirty despicable beast that hides under bridges, jumps out and molests unwary travelers...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 20:29   #30
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's an astute observation. Hunter owners are always nice.
Careful now...you're leaving yourself wide open!
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPPT Charge Controller for LifePO4 Batteries s/v Holiday Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 185 25-05-2014 16:43
Android Phone App for Tides edbulmer Marine Electronics 4 30-03-2012 00:19
New Pump Getting Air ? Mattyb Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 28-03-2012 21:03
Raster Charts or Vector Charts - Which is Best for Electronic Navigation ? Alecadi Navigation 19 28-03-2012 20:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.