Interesting user name
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 21:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBouy
I am new to the site and forums in general so hopefully I can figure out the etiquette and maybe contribute in someway in the future.

I am very cost driven, I am looking for a boat to spend a few years exploring the pacific north west, and I have long term goals of long distance water sailing">blue water sailing. I found a hunter 40 1986, in the 60k range, any thoughts? is this vessel safe for blue water cruising?

Thanks you.
Welcome to CF. you are a very unusual sailor because you are on a budget. Can't think of anyone else with unlimited money to spend - LOL...

Reealities -

- We all have a price point and want to maximize the boat at the price
- Crusing PNW - many, many, many boats will safely and comfortably cruise the PNW. Everyone who doesn't own a Hunter will tell you why a Hunter won't while telling you why their boat will. Forget other people's boats. While interesting to the poster/owner it is not germaine to what the OP is asking.
- "Bluewater Cruiser" is one of the most poloarizing labels on this forum. After being here 7 years I have seen no perfect definition. For me its about sailing across oceans for over 5 days at sea where weather conditions can change dramatically during the passage. You state bluewater cruising is in your long term goal. If that goal is more than 5 years away dont fuss with that right now. Your plans may change, you will learn a lot in 5 years and you may sell whateveer boat you buy and get something different.

- The price of boats. Old boat price variation is entirely dependent on the condition of the boat. Those who have responded so far with too high or too low responses have no clue because no one knows the condition of "this" boat. That is why the advice to look at all similar boats, learn about boat condition and what affects value and then when you think you have found something, get a surveyor to confirm hidden conditions.

So inmy opinion a 1986 40 foot Hunter can be made into a bluewater cruiser if you want it to be and need it to be. For 5-10 years poking around the PNW it will be fine. The main thing is how to assess condiiton and price and that is the trick.

Good luck!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:43   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

Good post by EX-Calif, IMO he is right on the mark!!!!
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:23   #19

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: New Guy considering a Hunter 40 1986, looking for advise

OK so compelled to reply …. I have sailed for a 20 plus years, raced most of that (generally on other people’s race only boats (i.e. nothing furling, and exotic antifouling, etc) – I have owned a number of boats from a 12 ft dinghy to a 20 ft cat to currently a 38 Hunter, with a few motor and sail cruisers along the way – a many great memories! Based on the vibes here I was anti-hunter … until I actually looked at the design process, the economies of scale and ‘production’….
Last time we purchased a boat we gave some though to casting off the lines and heading to the horizon – but with no plan to get to that point. We are now on a plan to get there but know that its 7-10 years off. We sail on the Chesapeake and generally the boat is within 40 miles of home base (I know this makes me unique on this forum J ) - I also do a lot of my own maintenance while working full time. We purchased a 05 H38 because it is ‘perfect’ for our plan – we know that the probability of leaving the bay is quite low and the probability of a trans Atlantic is essentially zero - but she is large, well designed, has lots of room and amenities and is relatively affordable and lowish maintenance, and oh yea – she actually moves! So far we love it!
Now – when our leash is longer and if we decide to sail there – it may be in a Hylas or Passport etc (get there fast, get there safe) but perfect is all about purpose.
BTW I have also sailed the older Hunters, specifically the 90ies H37.5 and would trust that boat quite a lot. As for the H40 from the 80ies, I agree with ExCalif – look at lots of boats – your plans will change and that Hunter will give you a few years of fun without much depreciation – so changing is not so big a deal (unless you bolt another $30G worth of stuff to her and find that you like something else … if you really know what you want it is worth paying more for in the sale as it’s a lot cheaper than adding later – as long as you want the stuff that already installed).
Just my 2c
Ed
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 14:38   #20

Re: New Guy Considering a Hunter 40 1986, Looking for Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Welcome to CF. you are a very unusual sailor because you are on a budget. Can't think of anyone else with unlimited money to spend - LOL...

Reealities -

- We all have a price point and want to maximize the boat at the price
- Crusing PNW - many, many, many boats will safely and comfortably cruise the PNW. Everyone who doesn't own a Hunter will tell you why a Hunter won't while telling you why their boat will. Forget other people's boats. While interesting to the poster/owner it is not germaine to what the OP is asking.
- "Bluewater Cruiser" is one of the most poloarizing labels on this forum. After being here 7 years I have seen no perfect definition. For me its about sailing across oceans for over 5 days at sea where weather conditions can change dramatically during the passage. You state bluewater cruising is in your long term goal. If that goal is more than 5 years away dont fuss with that right now. Your plans may change, you will learn a lot in 5 years and you may sell whateveer boat you buy and get something different.

- The price of boats. Old boat price variation is entirely dependent on the condition of the boat. Those who have responded so far with too high or too low responses have no clue because no one knows the condition of "this" boat. That is why the advice to look at all similar boats, learn about boat condition and what affects value and then when you think you have found something, get a surveyor to confirm hidden conditions.

So inmy opinion a 1986 40 foot Hunter can be made into a bluewater cruiser if you want it to be and need it to be. For 5-10 years poking around the PNW it will be fine. The main thing is how to assess condiiton and price and that is the trick.

Good luck!
Thanks for that, I am very lucky because the couple who are selling the boat seem extremely decent, very open and willing to discuss the pros and cons of the boat. I am also fortunate because my girlfriends father is a very experienced sailer (Jeaneau 49) and he will check out the boat with me before I sign on the dotted line.
You raise a very valid point, for my long term goals upgrading to another boat in the future is an option. All more the reason to get good value on the boat, I would hate to loose a ton of money on the resale in the future.
SickBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 14:57   #21

Even though you're father-in-law is going to check the boat out with you, still get a survey!

Odds are the survey will more than pay for itself by giving you points for negotiating on price. And it could save you from buying serious trouble.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 17:41   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Even though you're father-in-law is going to check the boat out with you, still get a survey!

Odds are the survey will more than pay for itself by giving you points for negotiating on price. And it could save you from buying serious trouble.
+1 on the survey.

Also the advantage of a production boat with a good production run under its belt is there are usually more to compare to on the internet. Do some internet valuations so you have an idea of an average asking price and negotiate from there. It would not be unusual in most markets to get 20-25% off asking price.

The key is a self assessment of the condition, then engage a surveyor and then make a final offer.

Your experienced father in law is a plus. Also be cautious about getting emotional. There are lots of boats out there and you will be told there is a line a mile long waiting to buy this one. Rarely true.
Old 20-03-2012, 17:43   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBouy View Post
Thanks for that, I am very lucky because the couple who are selling the boat seem extremely decent, very open and willing to discuss the pros and cons of the boat.
That's an astute observation. Hunter owners are always nice.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:02   #24
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Old 20-03-2012, 18:25   #25

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend

After searching the internet sites for over a year, and physically viewing a number of boats, I settled on a Hunter 37.5. What I took from all the Hunter bashing and other comments and actual sailors blogs, is that you can sail darn near anyting anywhere. I hope to sail the Caribbean and maybe points beyond, but probably not crossing the Pacific. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to take my boat there. As you veiw boats, make your own checklist. Take what the survey says, cause you'll need one for the insurance, but never think they will find everything. Look for moisture in the deck and rot elsewhere, secure chainplates. no ossmotic corrosion, etc. But find a boat that suits your needs. I Love the Hunter interior. I love the toe rail that extends a couple of inches beyond the hull which protects it from docks. Lots to like. Good luck.
Old 20-03-2012, 18:55   #26

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

That was funny.

This is a great thread with sound advice. Get the boat you like and can afford.

From my perspective, being on a limited budget, a 40' hunter would be out of my range. All that extra boat can add up in maintenance, and when I stepped up from a Cape Dory 30 to a Crealock 34, I ruled out a 40 footer because of the additional costs, and because I never wanted lack of crew to keep me in port.

Just take your time with the survey, get your girlfriend's father involved, and whoever else's opinion you value. Look at all the systems and ask yourself what you would do if it fails, and if you can afford to keep it in marketable shape -- so you can sell it when your cruising plans evolve. For a boat that age, you will need to be pretty self sufficient with maintenance and repairs, as it is really expensive to pay people to do it.

I cannot wait to explore your cruising grounds. Hope you can get on the water soon, in whatever boat that gets you there, sleeps comfortably and fires your lust for exploration.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:07   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
After searching the internet sites for over a year, and physically viewing a number of boats, I settled on a Hunter 37.5. What I took from all the Hunter bashing and other comments and actual sailors blogs, is that you can sail darn near anyting anywhere. I hope to sail the Caribbean and maybe points beyond, but probably not crossing the Pacific. Nevertheless, I would not hesitate to take my boat there. As you veiw boats, make your own checklist. Take what the survey says, cause you'll need one for the insurance, but never think they will find everything. Look for moisture in the deck and rot elsewhere, secure chainplates. no ossmotic corrosion, etc. But find a boat that suits your needs. I Love the Hunter interior. I love the toe rail that extends a couple of inches beyond the hull which protects it from docks. Lots to like. Good luck.
Hunter bashers are chumps.

Just look up Sequitur (Hunter 49). They rounded Cape Horn into an F-10/11 (that's 50-60 knots mind you...in the Southern Ocean). With a cockpit enclosure up! Lying a'hull while the 2-person crew stayed snug below under duvets...watching the breaking waves smash over the skylights, getting the glass-bottom view of the abyss from their leeward ports, drinking tea, and "enjoying the storm".

The Hunter performed perfectly...and made fools of the bashers...as did the very capable skipper.

Go the Hunter.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:30   #28

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

I own a fishing boat, we troll with it, I dream of sailing away in the Pacific when I retire.
I am open to the idea of fishing, man gotta eat,,,so I got to ask, ???
When we here in the High Mountains of the west mention TROLLING, it is a way of fishing.
Does "Trolling " mean something else in the Sailing community?
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 19:39   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dog
I own a fishing boat, we troll with it, I dream of sailing away in the Pacific when I retire.
I am open to the idea of fishing, man gotta eat,,,so I got to ask, ???
When we here in the High Mountains of the west mention TROLLING, it is a way of fishing.
Does "Trolling " mean something else in the Sailing community?
Thread drift alert...

Trolling is an intnet forum word. It probably derives from fishing.

It is the act of putting statements (bait) in the forum with sole intent to elicit controversy and fights.

Example - Hunters are crap boats and anyone who would intend to take one off the dock, much less offshore is an idiot.

See I not only slammed the boat but I personally slammed current owners. Two hooks in the water so to speak...

Another origin of trolling is said to be the classic fairy tale troll. A dirty despicable beast that hides under bridges, jumps out and molests unwary travelers...
Old 21-03-2012, 19:29   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Careful now...you're leaving yourself wide open!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter