Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2016, 23:53   #1

Boat: Newport 30
New Guy

A big hello from California.
New to forum as a member although cruising it for months now. I`m not usually inclined to join a forum, club, or the likes but do know from what I have read on CF that I would be warmly welcomed. Not new to boating or mother ocean, just new to this sailing thing.
I have had many hobbies/interests over the years which all seem to fall away to make room for the next adventure. Can`t seem to shake this one!
Owned a 26`Tollycraft for many years playing around So.Cal with her. Two years ago sold her to a friend and picked up a 1984 Newport 30. To quote a member" why go fast when you can go slow". Have learned a lot about sail boat handling in this short time and everything I learn makes me aware of how much I don`t know.
I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.
Dubble D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 02:45   #2
omc

Boat: Grand Banks 42' Motor Yacht
Re: New Guy

Hi to the beautiful Southern California.
Interesting post ! Hello and welcome from a new member too. I was not inclined as well to join again a forum especially after my very bad experience on TrawlerForum which I leaved last month for the reason I finally was tired of some posts criticizing also insulting the French. CruisersForum looks very interesting with lot of knowledgeable and valuable people who have different backgrounds which it will be good to learn from.
Your area is great for sailing, I still remember our first family vacation in Southern California (was in 1968) where my father discovered one of the first Grand Banks 42' Classic. As soon as he got home, he ordered one new what was delivered end of 1968 in the South of France, hull # 52. It was the beginning of a long adventure of nice cruises and treasured family times aboard.
I also like the quote "why go fast when you can go slow". I wish you the best with your new boat and a pleasant virtual trip on this forum.
Old 24-04-2016, 02:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DD.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 04:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF DD!

We hope to hear lots about your adventures...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 13:03   #5

Thanks guys.
Wow France, Bonjour! very nice! I too have my father to blame for the position I am in.Spent many a days on my fathers 42`trawler growing up, oblivious to how good I had it! Great times. A dream is to buy a boat on your side,travel Europe and then head west with a open ended plan. Many of my dreams have come true. Still about 5 yrs away due to life`s responsibilities.

Thanks again for the welcome to all.
Oh almost forgot.."Goedemiddag" to Lizzy Belle, Ik was in Weesp geboren.
Old 24-04-2016, 14:11   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, welcome here! Come on up to Channel Islands and I'll race you out to the islands! You may win, so be sure you have the drinks and hors d'oeuvres ready for me when I get there!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:15   #7

Don, So I`m new to sailing, never raced. I do hear that any time two boats are on the same body of water and going somewhat the same direction, it`s a RACE!! Will be glad to sponsor happy hour when I`m that way. My brother is in Ventura West Marina and I visit from time to time. Will let ya know when I get that way.
Old 28-04-2016, 12:09   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubble D View Post
Don, So I`m new to sailing, never raced. I do hear that any time two boats are on the same body of water and going somewhat the same direction, it`s a RACE!! Will be glad to sponsor happy hour when I`m that way. My brother is in Ventura West Marina and I visit from time to time. Will let ya know when I get that way.
OH, ok so this is how racing works. If you are the new guy you only get to use one sail and the other guys get a half hour head start. Don't forget to bring the ice! Hope to see you around!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:30   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome to California sailing! Racing is fun, too. Just make sure you have the 4 or so basic Racing Rules of Sailing memorized, then start with the small regattas (such as a one-way race to a fun raft-up party) where it's easier to stay out of the fleet's way whenever the more intricate racing rules might be needed. Having a navigator onboard who's more experienced is also a great way to try it out. I know several people in the SF Bay area with Newport 30s so you're sure to find a good core group in your region, too.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote