Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 15:18   #1

New Gal

I'm about as embryonic as one can get to this. I've been a passenger and trimmed a jib or two...never been knocked out by the boom on come about....but that's about the extent of it.

But I NEED to find an interest I'm 50 years old...lol. This is my bucket list. Never going to put in to sea...strictly fresh water. Want small keel boat, I think...I'll be sailing alone...so something I can manage. Ideas? Advice

Thanks
Beverley
KnotTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:03   #2

Boat: Various
Re: New Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotTied View Post
I'm about as embryonic as one can get to this. I've been a passenger and trimmed a jib or two...never been knocked out by the boom on come about....but that's about the extent of it.

But I NEED to find an interest I'm 50 years old...lol. This is my bucket list. Never going to put in to sea...strictly fresh water. Want small keel boat, I think...I'll be sailing alone...so something I can manage. Ideas? Advice

Thanks
Beverley
What bodies of water? Are there any sailing schools in your area?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:23   #3

Boat: Pearson 26

Cape Dory Typhoon
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 16:33   #4

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Beverly, you definitely need to take a basic keelboat course. I did the ASA101 weekend course in my local area. I already had some limited sailing time and had owned power boats for a few years prior but still wanted a refresher. Plus, it is a prerequisite for the more advanced classes I wanted to take.
The ASA web-site has some good info and you can search for an affiliate training company near your location.
By the way, where exactly are you located and do you plan on docking the boat or trailering?
Old 23-02-2014, 21:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum, a 22 to 24' keel boat is pretty easy to sail single hand and not too costly to own. An old Oday or Catalina 22, maybe. Docking is pretty easy in a small boat. If it were me, I'd buy a boat in that range and maybe hire someone for an hour or two to show you the basic's.

22 foot sailboats are easy and basically day sailors with tiny cabins good for an over night maybe. Though pretty cramped for the older backs. (I'm upper 50's BTW) 24 feet will give a bit more room below but still be easy to sail and not too bad docking either. Both would have small outboards for motoring.

Not wanting to raise the mast, which ok, is a pain for sure, your looking for one you can keep in a slip and NOT on a trailer.

Sounds like you've crewed on a boat, even if just for a bit. As with anything its getting over the fears and just doing it. Starting out on easy days and working up to more wind as time and comfort level increases. Being crew on another boat is a good way to learn too.

ASA 101 would work, its not too costly at all. Its pretty basic, but gives you some time docking and sailing. Enough so its not too scary docking, etc later on. As with all things it just takes practice

I started on 14' to 16' boats a long time ago and sail a 34 foot boat single handed nowadays. Its also my home, going on 8 years now too. I've sailed a Tayana 37 a time or two single handed, but that's a bit too much boat for me by myself. I found my 34 foot to be just the right balance for live aboard cruising. But I too started on a 22' boat as my first "big" boat.

Here's a link to an older 22' for not too much money. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...a-22-102167561

I would look at pre-1990 boats for a learner boat. That way the odd dock kiss will not be as painful then for a newer $30k boat. Sail it for a year, sell it for about the same cost, then buy the boat you like. You'll have a better idea by then of what your looking for.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 03:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Beverley.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 04:10   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Beverley!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:16   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
When I first started sailing I took a course or two then bought a Catalina 22 fin keel. I liked the boat but there are many others out there that will meet your needs. If you want to go smaller then there is the Victoria 18. Larger, Catalina 25 or 27.
Good luck in your sailing career.
To see some of the boats mentioned just go to a search function type in the name of the boat then add sailboatdata afterward.
kind regards,
Old 24-02-2014, 23:16   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi Beverly and welcome aboard.

I agree with most of what has been said. You're a woman so probably not extremely tall. One thing to look for is headroom. Being able to stand upright in most of the cabin will mean you'll enjoy your sailing and overnights much more. We had a 22 footer with lots of room inside, small galley etc. But I'm 6,1 and the headroom was about 5,8. My wife could stand upright, but I couldn't. Got to the point I couldn't stand it and we bought a bigger boat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 02:33   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

Sea Sprite 23
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:16   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Welcome aboard New Gal. Your location has a major impact on the choice of a starter boat. Even a general hint would help. In the northeast you need something to protect you from the elements early and late in the season. If you're in the southeast you need much less protection but will appreciate some shade etc.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
Sea Sprite 23

I'm 5'2 I live in Arkansas (USA). Never plan to sail my boat at sea. Strictly fresh water sailing here and not looking to buy a cabin boat. I would like a small keel boat. Something easy to manage
Old 27-02-2014, 10:41   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The Cape Dory Typhoon mentioned earlier would be ideal. I'm partial to Cape Dorys. Mine is a 31. I singlehand 99% of the time but I've had a lot of practice. You'll find that there are Typhoons with a little cuddy cabin so you can take a nap or just get out of the rain and there is also a daysailor version without the cabin. They are very well built and very forgiving so it would be ideal to learn on. Many people have owned them for a lifetime as they are all one could ask. Good luck.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 10:44   #14

Thanks so much!
Old 27-02-2014, 15:49   #15

Wow... Scanning the internet and found some wonderful little Dorys. A couple if them were. 18 ft. I'm seeing them listed anywhere from 6 K to 12k and up depending. Now would I ever live to get my hands on her. Sweet boat... Just perfect for me