Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:46   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE - Napali Dream
New Forum Member saying "Hey"

Hey....

I just joined this forum after stumbling on it searching for boat information. I presently sail a Catalina 270 in a wide spot on the Illiniois River at Peoria. Not much sailing range but better than nothing. I occasionally charter in the Caribean mostly from the BVI. Since I only get 4 weeks vacation I can only do this every 3rd year or so as I like to go on motorcyle trips and scuba diving trips as well. I would like to buy a bigger boat after I retire and sail down the Carribean islands. Or, maybe I'll buy a lower cost boat in Trinadad and sail it back.

Greetings to all....
Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:25   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Welcome Dave. At least you are out on the water.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome Dave,

It sounds like you are having the time of your life, Motorcycle trips and chartering. Bike Week is this week in Daytona, FL. River sailing can be fun. What kind of current is running where you sail.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Welcome Dave,

It sounds like you are having the time of your life, Motorcycle trips and chartering. Bike Week is this week in Daytona, FL. River sailing can be fun. What kind of current is running where you sail.

John
Well, there IS work between vacations...... I wish I could go to Daytona although it would be faster than a trip out west since I would have to trailer my bike. Vinnie from American Chopper will be unveiling his first bike there, he opened his own shop (V-Force Customs with Cody) after leaving the show.

The current drops down quite a bit where the river widens.... maybe 1 knot or less. However, it could get up to 3 knots or so in the narrows between the upper and lower lake. I usually just stay in the upper lake where I belong to the Illinois Valley Yacht and Canoe (IVY) club. A picture of our club is on the latest version of Quimby's 2007 Cruising Guide.

Take care...
Dave
Old 02-03-2008, 19:47   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome aboard Dave, Always wondered ...do the rivers in the interior U.S. network to any extent, can they be navagated with sailboat draft of 5" and between currents and wind or lack of wind does it make any sense?
Thanks,
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Welcome aboard Dave, Always wondered ...do the rivers in the interior U.S. network to any extent, can they be navagated with sailboat draft of 5" and between currents and wind or lack of wind does it make any sense?
Thanks,
Hugosalt,

There is a channel in the river about 17ft deep for the barge traffic. In Upper and Lower Peoria Lake there is a fairly large area that is 3.5 to 4 ft deep I can sail in. The lakes are filling up with silt as the silt rich runoff slows down in the lakes and settles out. I may have 10 years left to sail with my 3.6ft wing keel.

Dave
Old 03-03-2008, 05:26   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Dave and welcome, it's nice to here from people that sail in the middle of the country. Just out of curiosity how large do waves get were you sail?

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:09   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dave,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you on the forum. Hope you'll share some of your sailing adventures.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote