Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 15:22   #1

New First Mate Just Back from 7 Days in Channel Islands (CA)

Hi all,

I'm newish to sailing and very new here. My husband and I just returned from a week's charter of a 40.5 Hunter in Marina Del Rey to the Channel Islands and back. Sadly I tore my finger open on a barbecue mount on our first day out so we needed to make an emergency trip into Redondo Beach so I could get it sewn up (ten stitches!).

Loved it otherwise, despite the injury, especially our time at Santa Barbara Island and getting to see all the friendly, curious sea lions.

We took our 18-year-old son and his buddy with us, so we had lots of crew help. Ended up with a man overboard drill when the dinghy tether broke, then a real man overboard exercise when my son's buddy fell out of the dinghy while adjusting the motor -- very glad of my husband's man overboard drill practice during ASA classes etc.; we had him back in the boat within five minutes (but a very scary five minutes indeed).

Now we're back home and thinking about the next trip -- hopefully no injuries and everyone remains aboard for that one!
sacratomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 06:52   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
That sounds like the beginning of a beautiful life of cruising. You have all the telltale signs, when ya don't reach for the luggage when the poopy hits the fan, well, you are a cruiser So when are you buying your boat?

Good job to your husband and crew for the successful MOD. I taught a friend to sail on his Cape Dory 30 ketch, actually he knew how to sail just needed to learn some new skills since becoming a paraplegic. On week three we practice a MOD by throwing a bright orange float off the stern. Never found it, but that was a good teaching lesson in itself.

Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures.
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 11:13   #3

thanks for the kind welcome

We *are* talking about buying our own boat and doing some longterm cruising, possibly running a floating B&B kind of thing, so I'm working on finishing up a culinary course and husband is doing ASA stuff and maybe getting the captain's license -- there are lots of options in the meantime, and not sure how our dream will play out as we gain more experience and knowledge. For now we go to the Oakland boat show and drool; is it shallow to have a bit of a crush on the Island Packets?

We're going to try a replay of the Catalina Island cruise hopefully soon. We'd intended that I finish up my SCUBA certification there and to do some underwater exploration together; sadly the emergency room doctor was not enthused about me asking him about my newly-stitched gashed finger "can't I just put on a glove? Or tape plastic over it? A bag?" He just raised one wonderfully expressive ironic eyebrow and said, "Um... no."
sacratomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 01:17   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacratomato View Post
Hi all,

I'm newish to sailing and very new here. My husband and I just returned from a week's charter of a 40.5 Hunter in Marina Del Rey to the Channel Islands and back. Sadly I tore my finger open on a barbecue mount on our first day out so we needed to make an emergency trip into Redondo Beach so I could get it sewn up (ten stitches!).

Loved it otherwise, despite the injury, especially our time at Santa Barbara Island and getting to see all the friendly, curious sea lions.

We took our 18-year-old son and his buddy with us, so we had lots of crew help. Ended up with a man overboard drill when the dinghy tether broke, then a real man overboard exercise when my son's buddy fell out of the dinghy while adjusting the motor -- very glad of my husband's man overboard drill practice during ASA classes etc.; we had him back in the boat within five minutes (but a very scary five minutes indeed).

Now we're back home and thinking about the next trip -- hopefully no injuries and everyone remains aboard for that one!
Welcome....give us more details!!

I was just out to Santa Barbara Island a couple weeks ago for a long weekend on a charter. I've been all over the channel islands and Catalina, but our first time to S.B. Island...just loved it, wish we had more time (well actually made it to the anchorage 10 years ago, but the engine died on the charter boat, so we worked on the engine all night and sailed home instead of going ashore). Did Steve give you a tour of his gardens? They are trying to replant sections of the island to keep down erosion and restore the natural flora. We saw the cutest baby red tail hawk just sitting on the trail. Did the "ambassador" greet you? (the one toothed 1000 lb sea lion that some times hangs out on the landing platform blocking the path onto the island).

Where else did you stop during your week?

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 04:26   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Right in your own backyard the delta is a great place to spend time on a boat. Then there's sailing S.F. Bay. You are right amongst some of the best training ground there is for sailing, and dropping the hook..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 05:28   #6

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
you sound like a hardy sailor to me - "can't I just put a plastic bag over it???"

sounds like something I would ask.

You're definitely sailor material - "darned body - why isn't doing what I want today?" instead of - "oh no! I got an owee! must stay home on the couch forever more! This isn't safe..."

welcome aboard and I'm sorry that on your first cruise you couldn't jump in the water and play.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 12:53   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Welcome aboard! Sorry about your boat bite.
Kind regards