Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2013, 10:58   #16

Boat: Hunter Legend 37
Re: New Cruising Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you don't like the crowds then definitely head up north. The Canadian north shore is true wilderness, with plenty of wonderful anchorages to explore. In some places up here we've gone for weeks at a time and seen no other cruising boats.
Thanks Mike - that's definitely what we like. Weekdays around the Apostles are pretty good. Weekends gets downright crowded and we don't care for that. That's why we have never gotten overly excited about slipping at Bayfield/La Pointe/Washburn/Ashland, etc.. Those places are crowded and so busy it reminds you of driving on the road in rush hour. A little squall shows up and the bay on Stockton gets so crowded you can just about cross the bay by hopping from one boat to another.

We'll have to check into a CANPASS and I-68. Thanks for that info.

Old 15-12-2013, 16:44   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Congratulations! You must have a great shop.
kind regards,

Old 15-12-2013, 16:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Congratulations! You must have a great shop.
kind regards,
Thanks and yeah - I usually work on end loaders, dozers, excavators and trucks. This winter I turned the place into a ship yard
Old 15-12-2013, 17:34   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The bigger the commission... the Bluer the water.. But always remember.. you/me is the weak link
So wellnsaid

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 18:22   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

I disagree with the concept that boats need to be in the water.

If you have a boat that is undercover, out of the water, located where it's easy to work on and the rents right then there's no better situation other than actually cruising.

Working on a boat while you're also living on it is a right royal pain, doing so in an out of the way port or marina even more so.

My understanding of older fibreglass is that it takes a long time to dry out without special equipment so being stored in a nice dry place is a very good start for maintenance.

You don't say what sort of condition the boat is in but from my experience the following may apply (ignore if this is not you) :

* My observation is that the biggest single area of difficulty on a cruising yacht is the engine/transmission/fuel system. Unless it's all in top condition I'd seriously consider pulling the engine out, checking that everything is totally clean and within tolerances and putting it back together. Going to be way easier in a fully equipped workshop with skilled personnel and parts available. While you're doing this redo the area underneath reinforcing as necessary.
When you're finished you may be able to do the few repairs needed in your sleep.
* The same goes for the electrical system. This is the time to rewire the mast and to put a good VHF/AIS antenna(s) on top with best possible coax. Don't forget to overhaul the furling systems while the mast is out. Line up new batteries, maybe even upgrade the type and number of batteries, but don't actually buy new batteries until just before splash.
* Check refrigeration fully. I used a new Waeco 38 litre and should also have put in a much smaller separate freezer.
* And same again for the toilet/holding tank. Check the tank for integrity, that the pump out will actually work and replace any suspect hoses.
* Pull off all the deck hardware and check the condition of any coring underneath. Repair as necessary. Redo the deck if necessary. Put secure backing under all deck hardware. Replace any suspect chain plates. Replace the standing rigging if it is not almost new. Rebed hatches and portholes.
* If not there already install the fittings for dodger and bimini. Fabricate stainless steel davits and solar panel mounts and install. If you can find the space for 500W of solar that's going to be a big help.
* Pull off all shin fittings and replace any that are suspect. Redo the barrier coat just before you splash. This could be a good time to repaint.
* If possible put scaffolding around the boat before starting work. A fall could cripple or kill you.
* Get advice on the best way of making sure the rudder stays attached to the boat and functional. Inspect the steering system and replace any suspect wire with the correct size (don't ask...). Check all other parts and calibrate the stops.

The aim of all of this is to make sure that old joke about cruising being about fixing boats in exotic locations stays a joke.

And finally don't back a loader into the boat (don't ask...).
Old 15-12-2013, 19:06   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Thanks Mike - that's definitely what we like. Weekdays around the Apostles are pretty good. Weekends gets downright crowded and we don't care for that. That's why we have never gotten overly excited about slipping at Bayfield/La Pointe/Washburn/Ashland, etc.. Those places are crowded and so busy it reminds you of driving on the road in rush hour. A little squall shows up and the bay on Stockton gets so crowded you can just about cross the bay by hopping from one boat to another.
You'd love it up here. Put a day or so out of the few urban areas we have, and you'll have all the solitude you want.

Actually, crowds are one of the things that's got me worried as we begin our journey south starting next summer. I used to cruise the North Channel. It's beautiful, but during July and August too many anchorages were so crowded it was like pulling into a mall parking lot. That holds little joy for me.
Old 16-12-2013, 08:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
You don't say what sort of condition the boat is in but from my experience the following may apply (ignore if this is not you) :

And finally don't back a loader into the boat (don't ask...).
Boracay - thanks for that list. I had a lot of the things on your list on mine. But some I didn't, and it makes sense to at least closely inspect those things. Like the standing rigging - it all appears in perfect condition. But there's no records on when it was last replaced. It's not that expensive to put new rigging on, coil the old up and stow it in the spare parts locker.

Overall, our boat is in sound condition I think. Just that she's been outside all her life and obviously never waxed so the deck is extremely faded. And the usual cracks and minor spiderwebbing in the gelcoat, that they all get with age, that needs to be fixed.

With these production boats it seems that they get the gelcoat too thick in some places when they spray it into the mold before they start to lay the glass up. Especially on radius'd corners - I routed out some cracks yesterday on the radius between the combing and deck and the gelcoat is almost 1/4" thick there, for pete's sake. It's no wonder it cracked.

On the hull, I cannot find a single crack or blister and the gelcoat was evenly applied. I wouldn't even have to paint the hull after wet sanding the gelcoat out with 1000 - it shines like new. I'm going to spray it with Imron anyway to seal it. The deck is the problem with overly thick gelcoat in places.

It is my opinion that if they would paint these boats with a high quality basecoat/clearcoat, instead of putting the pigment in the gelcoat, they wouldn't have these cosmetic problems with age and the gelcoat would be permanently sealed to prevent it from deteriorating. Gelcoat is not anywhere close to as durable and resistant to UV as a good quality paint is. I know it would be expensive for manufacturers to do that and the added cost to the boat would make them harder to sell. But I've restored three boats prior to this one and always used the DuPont Marine Finish (MS100/MS10 basecoat/clearcoat). That stuff is so tough you can whack it with a hammer and can't chip it or mar it after it cures. The ultimate durable boat, in my opinion, would be a steel hull painted with MS100/MS10. But more than likely, few people could afford to buy it.

That's sort of my rant on the build quality of these fiberglass boats. Cheap to build - a pain to maintain.

Now, this part about not backing a loader into the boat and then adding (don't ask) - that don't even sound good
Old 16-12-2013, 08:54   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Congrats CruisingCouple!

Glad you are over the naysayers already... This transition from the 22 to the 37 is a fantastic move! It is BIG and COMFORTABLE for what it is... and handles like a dream for a couple... Is it the best blue water boat out there??? Noooo... Is she roomy/comfortable/can be fitted to the hilt/FUN??? ...Is she yours??? YES!!!

You'll have this boat tricked out and cleaned up in no time being right there at your shop.... AND.... I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL YOU BRING THE BROKER BY TO SEE HOW YOU CLEANED HER UP!!!! (idiot)

PS: Remind me to look you up when I need a boat moved Mr. "I have my own lowboy" Sheesh!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: