Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2006, 10:39   #1

New Cruisers

Hi everyone-

Well...my husband and I have been bitten by the sailboat bug. We have a little sailboat that we are learning on...but have much bigger aspirations. We are thinking about getting bareboat certified...but now I'm wondering if that is even necessary. More than likely we will spend the summer months doing weekend trips on local lakes (including Lake Superior) and then do 4-8 week trips during the winter in the Caribbean.

I'm looking for suggestions for a trailerable monohull that we can launch at our various lakes. Our truck will pull about 5500 pounds. I'd like a boat with at least one double berth, a single berth and a head that is suitable for weekend trips. We have a 2 1/2 year old as well as a dog that might want to come along for the weekend trips.

For our longer trips we are interested in sailing on a catamaran. At least for now I can see where less heeling on extended trips would be nice...not to mention the extra room. It seems that money spent on chartering would be better put towards purchasing our own boat. Any feedback you all could give on yacht partnerships, or companies like sailtime would be appreciated.

Thanks so much-
Brooke & Jon
brookehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 10:58   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!

It sounds like you're on the right track. Any amount of training is better then none.

A bareboat cert. is good to have, as well as Coast Guard safety certs.

If you're looking for a Trailer Sailor check out this site, it will put you right in the mainstream...................................._/)

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/index.html
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 14:04   #3

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
There are lots of folks here with opinions on cats. You might try chartering several in the Caribe before you solidify your decision. You can test out Lagoons, Leopards, Voyage, Privilege and a few other makes in the BVI.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 21:47   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Brooke and Jon,
Welcome aboard. There will lots of opinions on what to sail and what to trailer. If you are willing to charter a few boats then do. Don't forget to try a 32-36 monohull in charter just to get the feel of something different.
Recommend a book called Start Sailing Right! It really is the best for folks new to sailing.
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote