Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 18:13   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
New "Convert" from power to sail.

Greetings,
After 40+ years of powered boating, in everything from motor canoes to 83' CG Utility boats, I've decided that fuel is expensive, wind is free, and I have nowhere to get to in any hurry. ($2,400 to top off the fuel is a good motivator) So, I bought a well used, well rigged and moderately maintained 81 Catalina 22 to learn to sail on. Have had her for a month and have yet to get near the water. Figure it will be a few more weeks until everything is ready for sailing. (If I don't do it now, it will get 'defered' until the next season. And since we can boat year 'round, it may never happen.)
I was searchng for some tidbit of info and found the forum, so joined up. Look forward to some bench racing as time goes by, but for now need to get back to oiling teak and varnishing the tiller. (two of many little things to get her back to workmanlike condition.)
Maybe see you on the lakes, or even the big pond out west of here.
Sandbox Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:16   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: New "Convert" from power to sail.

it's a nice boat to learn on and even do some weekending. there's a huge class association if you decide to do some racing. and even if you're planning on cruising only, don't discount racing. it's a great way to hone your sailing skills.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:20   #3

Boat: hunter 376

Welcome aboard, wind really is free, and sailing puts you a little more in touch with the sea, the weather, and yourself. You made a good decision.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:29   #4

Just wait 'til you start buying sails and rigging! you'll think fuel was cheap! haha just kidding... well... kinda...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:34   #5

Boat: hunter 376

Cheechako, please try not to disillusion the newbies so soon, its always best they learn the facts the hard way. (;-)
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 21:38   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome! You should have a blast with a Catalina 22. But don't wait too long to sail her or the inertia will become overwhelming. The teak can wait a little longer...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:20   #7

Boat: Catalina 22

Cheechako, I'm not worried about sails and rigging. The boat is so over rigged right now it isn't funny. All new standing rigging. Very good running rigging. (just too much of it!) Sails are OK. Do have a small repair to do to the storm jib. Will do that during some down time waiting for varnish to dry. And gamayun, inertia isn't a problem. After maintaining a 1938 42' Wheeler for decades, teak and mahogany finishing is just a normal thing. I've long ago learned not to defer maintenance. Little bit each week and it never gets out of hand. The former owner of this boat stopped racing about 18 months ago and all maintenace stopped at that time, also. Just have to catch up. (Since I'll be so slow out on the lake, might as well not be hard on the eyes!) I welded up a crack in the gooseneck last night, got a coat of varnish on the tiller. (6-7 more to go) Still working on polishing off all the oxidation on the hull and getting prepped to redo the nonskid surfaces on the deck. Cabin is spic and also span and all the interior wood has been refinished. Still have to repair the axle on the trailer so I can move her. Almost there. Almost there.
Sandbox Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 18:20   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Congratulations on the new boat. Lots less varnish there on the Catalina. My first boat was a Catalina 22 fin keeler (no trailer).
Do you have a sailing coach? Just checking to see if I might recommend a basic sailing course or the book "Start Sailing Right!" if you can't find a course.
Keep the running rigging around just in case you want to experiment with the racers.
kind regards,
Old 18-03-2014, 18:38   #9

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I just took my basic keelboat certification on C-22s (I have decided to seek certification for insurance and possible chartering). Very pleasant sailing, but I will agree that there just seemed to be a lot of lines every where, and on the club boats often mislabeled. I hope yours is one with the boom above head level!
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail