Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2003, 13:16   #1

New boy on deck

Just signed on, haven't seen the type of info being posted but we spend 6 months here near Kingston Ont., the last six we have have spent cruising the Abacos on our C. & C. Landfall 39' with wife Marilyn; Monk, a 4 yr old Cairn terrier and Chelsey, a 13 yr old, 105 lbGolden Retriever.
Plan to spend the next 6 month trip cruising the Eluthras. Anybody wants to know about cruising with dogs send a note with your ?
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 17:38   #2
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
Thumbs up Welcome

You're most welcome to the board Don B.

I'm looking forward to hearing some tales and maybe seeing some photos from your cruising.

Fair winds!

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2003, 14:02   #3

With Dogs

I adopted a pound puppy 2 years ago. She is a very sweet loving dog but I fear hates the water and anything to do with the water. I took her out to the Lake with me for the first time when she was 14 months old. She saw a gribe sitting out in the quiet water of the marina. Not knowing the water wouldn't hold her up the same way it did that gribe she jumped in after it. I pulled her out chocking and spittering. She let me rinse her off and then ran up the dock and sat down by the truck wanting to go home. I guess she will never be a sail dog. BTW the waters of the Great Salt Lake are 27 times that of the ocean...
_/)
CaptJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2003, 00:44   #4

Jim,

I adopted a pound puppy several years ago also. She was very reluctant to have anything to do with the water at first but I knew she needed to love it or she'd be left behind alot when I sailed. I started with a small plastic child's pool with about 3 inches of water in it and would work with her in it, trying to always make it fun...having balls and other toys...and giving her treats in and out of the water. She still does not like the surprise of stepping off shore into water with "no bottom", but she loves swimming, retrieving sticks, and sailing. In fact, she now hides in the cabin when she sees me packing up at the end of a weekend on board...anything to keep from leaving the lake.

Good luck and don't give up on your dog...yet!

Bobbi
S/V Kokopelli
kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2003, 04:07   #5

Dogs

kokopelli

She is her Mistresse's dog.. Yeah my wife hates the boat too. Thats why I single hand most of the time. No matter as long as I get to sail. Soon the boat will be ready again a new bottom and a new cabin. I am just hopping My water will still be there 5 years and counting in a major drought that has The Great Salt Lake down over 18 feet.. Not to bad??? The lake was only 35 feet to start with.. If I was still there there would be less than a foot ov water under my keel now and no way to get out onto the main bay of the lake.. So the Dog and the wife have won for now, There will be no sailing this season..
_/)
Old 25-05-2003, 06:13   #6

For the first time in over four years we are out of a drought here in NC...last summer sailing was risky due to the low water levels, so I sympathize with you. But hang in there...do rain dances often and hopefully the levels will be back up soon!

Kokopelli
kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2003, 06:38   #7

Drought

The longer it lasts the more I'll be doing to make the boat better and better. It just that I miss the feel of the tiller and the crash of the bow through the waves. Oh for now I am on the hard but getting better.. Jim
_/)
Old 06-06-2003, 03:59   #8

Talking dogs

We have a corgi (the model with a tail), she loves to sail, row, motor, anything to do w/ water. When she was a puppy, the girls put her in a kiddy pool, put goggles on her and she would chase her tail. Yes, we have pictures! The cat just cries and gets sick on the boat, we hope that will improve.
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote