Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2007, 10:11   #1

Wink New and Willing to take advice

Hello all,
I am new to sailing, although I spent 10 yrs in the Navy. I would like as much advice as I can handle. I am planning a first trip, and would like advice on navigation systems/charts and routes. I'll be sailing out of atlantic beach nc,(when I get a boat) and have not yet decided on a destination. If anyone has any advice please don't hesitate to send it.

Thanks,
Rick
SHNOOGANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 10:48   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rick,
Welcome aboard and thanks for your Navy service. I'll just start the ball rolling by saying that signing up for sailing classes is never a bad idea. No matter how much you know you'll always learn something new. If you have a local sailing/yacht club that is inexpensive then talk with folks there.
I do celestial navigation but also use GPS and a navigation program with some electronic charts. I also have paper charts as a back up. You have the ICW very close so I would imagine you'll want to get a guide for that.
In your area you could go nearly anywhere in the Atlantic so we can't really advise on what charts to get.
When you're ready to start looking at boats then do some thread searches on this forum. Lots of advice on this forum.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 14:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would like as much advice as I can handle.
I'm not sure where the limit of that might be. I think you just need a reasonable place to start out.

Before you jump off into some generally serious waters you might like to start with some coastal trips to get some time under your belt. A new boat for even experienced sailors still takes time to get to know, fit out and . Better to do that where it's easier going than east of the Cape. The Cape isn't the most dangerous waters on earth but it will make the list. Moving up and down the ICW can lead to some interesting places but generally not much sailing to be had in the ditch.

No reason your early trips can't be a lot of fun too. I am assuming that is the main point. Building a little experience before taking on Atlantic passages seems like a requirement to my mind. Heading north to the Chesapeake would make for the closest access to some good coastal sailing with 100's of great destinations. Now through November is generally good with the best winds now til July and then September through November.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote