Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2007, 10:36   #1

New and need some advice

Hello and greetings from Maine.

I was just referred to this forum and looks great.

I am looking to purchase a boat to sail to the Caribbean this Fall for 6 months and then plan to come back to Maine live on the boat throught the following summer/fall/winter at a marina!

Any suggestions on best types of boat to look for weighing the two factors of a good cruising boat coupled with year round living comfortability?

Thanks and much apprceciate any responses.

John
johnherrigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 10:40   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Welcome aboard John

What kind of boat do you prefer? Sail? Power? Monohull? Multihull? Gas? Diesel? How many people? Ammenities you want? A/C, Heat, Fridge, Freezer, Plasma TV? etc.

That helps narrow the field down a little.

Cheers!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 10:45   #3

More info

Monohull, diesel, 3 people for the Caribbean, just me back in Maine after the trip. 36-40 feet, under 100K. Other than this, open for any all all suggestions. Been looking at a Sabre 38 as well as a Hood 38, like the Bristols and Tartans, perhaps Pearson?

Thanks again,
John
johnherrigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 11:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Your price requirement is going to head toward older boats that may pass a survey yet still require refitting. In your price range I would be less concerned about what brand it is and more with what condition it is in. You won't be getting a top of the line blue water boat less than 10 years old. It's going to be the issue of cost to purchase, taxes and fees, some refitting and perhaps some new equipment. You'll also need a budget for spare parts. I would also seek out some expert help beyond just a surveyor to help you evaluate all the equipment and rig. Learning some accounting skills would be advised else you'll blow the budget.

This may not be a round the globe cruise but it's a long leg in areas where heavy weather could test the structure of an older boat.

Consider the basic issues for any cruising boat. You need tankage and displacement to carry all your stuff. You'll need extra anchors and safety equipment that probably won't come with the boat. You can find many threads on the forum about all the gear on a boat and the choices and considerations you need to think about. Don't overlook the development of the crew and skipper. Working as a team is the number one goal. The actual selection of the boat while important is not the only important decision and I would say far less than all the rest combined. Don't lose sight of the bigger picture and of course it is all supposed to be fun!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 12:18   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha John,
Welcome aboard!! My recommendations to new to boating want to be boatowners is 32-36 feet. Try Allied in addition to the brands you mentioned. Well kept older boats can be found in your price range. I like to browse eBay Motors keyword sailboat or sail boat just to get an idea of what's out there in what price range.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote