Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 08:06   #1

New

It has been years since I have sailed. I was raised in a sailing family in the Pacific Northwest. My grandfather, Charles Nelson Seaborn, owned his own Seaborn Shipyards in Tacoma, Washington during WW I. My great uncle, Henry Seaborn (Charles Nelson's oldest brother), was an early Commodore of the Seattle Yacht Club. My step-grandfather, Ray Welcome Cooke, built and raced the 62' Circe. My father, John Henry Seaborn, for years owned the Circe. And then, of course, there was my dad's identical twin, Benjamin Charles Seaborn, who designed the Circe and a number of other sailing vessels, most notably the Thunderbird.

The last time I went sailing was on our Circe when I was fifteen years old, 39 years ago.

Now I am writing a book about our family.
ChrisBenSeaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 08:57   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: New

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 10:28   #3

Boat: in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBenSeaborn View Post
It has been years since I have sailed. I was raised in a sailing family in the Pacific Northwest. My grandfather, Charles Nelson Seaborn, owned his own Seaborn Shipyards in Tacoma, Washington during WW I. My great uncle, Henry Seaborn (Charles Nelson's oldest brother), was an early Commodore of the Seattle Yacht Club. My step-grandfather, Ray Welcome Cooke, built and raced the 62' Circe. My father, John Henry Seaborn, for years owned the Circe. And then, of course, there was my dad's identical twin, Benjamin Charles Seaborn, who designed the Circe and a number of other sailing vessels, most notably the Thunderbird.

The last time I went sailing was on our Circe when I was fifteen years old, 39 years ago.

Now I am writing a book about our family.
Impressive! and WELCOME - you'll enjoy it here = a lot of very helpful people. . . .

I'm a long time power boater - very little sail experience unless you want to count years ago on a 16' hobie. . . . but have it in mind to sail the Caribbean . . . wife and I are learning all we can about the difference of being under wind power and plan to get a cat first of the year. . .

This forum has proved to be of tremendous value and I"m sure you'll find it so. . . .
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 11:47   #4

Thank you for your note. I guess I am just sort of the opposite, having been raised around one big sailboat, power boats are foreign territory to me. (Once, in high school, a friend took me out on their small powerboat.) Now it has been decades since I have been out on anything on the water.
ChrisBenSeaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 12:20   #5

Boat: in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBenSeaborn View Post
Thank you for your note. I guess I am just sort of the opposite, having been raised around one big sailboat, power boats are foreign territory to me. (Once, in high school, a friend took me out on their small powerboat.) Now it has been decades since I have been out on anything on the water.
Was raised on the great lakes - Lake Erie and the Niagara River to be specific. . . Back then, not many folks had sailboats. . . everything was power - if you want to consider a 40 hp Mercruiser power. . . . LOL

We're pretty much focused on a MaineCat - have had ongoing discussions with the folks up there and will tour the boatyard in August. . . They make a fine boat. . .
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:43   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Wow! What a pedigree. Good to have you here.
I've sailed on a Thunderbird many years ago and they truly are a great little boat.
I'd like to know how to get a copy of your book when you've got her done.
kind regards,